Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 69   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, what are you doing?  (Read 186617 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #555 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:35:53 »

Everything growing fast by the day. Bluebells, lambs in the fields next to it.  The water is also clear which I've never seen it like in all my years visiting. Some absolute monster carp in there I've been fortunate enough to spot.
Haven't been back to Coate Water since the day I left Swindon at the turn of the century.

Used to love going to the paddling pool as a kid on the bus from Gorse Hill back in the 70s during the summer.

Nice walk around the lake on a clear day, must have been round it a hundred times in the past.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:39:27 »

How busy is coate?? It’s within ‘long walk’ territory for me, but I’ve always assumed it would be relatively rammed so haven’t bothered going there

Things get better but they never get good

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:46:08 »

Haven't been back to Coate Water since the day I left Swindon at the turn of the century.

Used to love going to the paddling pool as a kid on the bus from Gorse Hill back in the 70s during the summer.

Nice walk around the lake on a clear day, must have been round it a hundred times in the past.

The council ruined the paddling pool to save money. Now a splash park and a shite one at that. The pitch and putt now neglected too. Would be nice to hire a boat but that was scrapped years ago too☹️
How busy is coate?? It’s within ‘long walk’ territory for me, but I’ve always assumed it would be relatively rammed so haven’t bothered going there

It's quiet. Very quiet, particularly during the week.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #558 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:48:18 »

The council ruined the paddling pool to save money. Now a splash park and a shite one at that. The pitch and putt now neglected too. Would be nice to hire a boat but that was scrapped years ago too☹️
Not good, all about cost cutting I guess by the council, such a shame, used to love Coate. Would go every Saturday morning to pitch and putt as soon as it opened at about 8am, have a round in the quiet with my mate, good times.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #559 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:51:21 »

My Nan lives within walking distance from Coate. Spent so much time there as a kid. Spent a lot of time there getting pissed up and stoned as a teenager as well.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:54:48 »

Nah, it's quiet, although I'm usually there early morning, but even mid-morning Sat it was OK, and people largely being sensible about keeping their distance as well. Apart from the odd bellend who "has" to stop and gawp on the bridge which makes it difficult to get past and maintain distance.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:56:05 »

Coate Water is a nice stroll, as is Lydiard Park. Do both fairly often.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:57:42 »

My Nan lives within walking distance from Coate. Spent so much time there as a kid. Spent a lot of time there getting pissed up and stoned as a teenager as well.

Your nan?  Smiley
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:57:43 »

Noice, cheers guys. Will try and pop there at the weekend

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 13:01:41 »

Your nan?  Smiley
Loving your work, sir!
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 13:22:48 »

It’s still lovely. I go running round it once a week.

Uninteresting fact: my Grandad helped design the diving board and my Dad has the blueprints for it.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 13:42:14 »

Coate Water is a nice stroll, as is Lydiard Park. Do both fairly often.

I had holiday jobs working in the cafe/kiosk at both Lydiard and Coate when I was a teenager.  Great jobs.  I lived pretty much on the other side of town from Coate, but used to cycle there along the disused railway track from West Swindon.  Vividly remember being there on day of the disaster at Hillsborough.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 14:15:58 »

I had holiday jobs working in the cafe/kiosk at both Lydiard and Coate when I was a teenager.  Great jobs.  I lived pretty much on the other side of town from Coate, but used to cycle there along the disused railway track from West Swindon.  Vividly remember being there on day of the disaster at Hillsborough.

The track behind Mannington that comes out in Old Town?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 14:58:54 »

That's the one.  The ride was about 5 miles, and my Mum was happy enough letting me go that far knowing that most of it was along cycle/footpaths.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 15:36:54 »

One end comes out in that small trading estate in Old Town (Central?) the other will take you to Bassett really. There’s a footbridge over the M4.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 69   Go Up
Print
Jump to: