Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your views on the news  (Read 24139 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 07:28:07 »

being forced to be an oxford fan for all eternity

The Leeds fan was a knob, but he doesn't deserve that

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Dozno9

« Reply #136 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 07:51:57 »

What the hell happened in Cardiff yesterday? Some dick going on one with a van, killing 1 and injuring 12 others.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 16:55:22 »

There has been increasing coverage in the media recently of companies that are legally avoiding paying UK taxes. Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Google and Starbucks have all been featured though there are obviously lots more doing the same - Apple and Microsoft for starters.

They all use the same trick - pushing sales and profits through other EU countries with lower tax rates (Ireland, Luxembourg and Holland). So Amazon UK doesn't actually sell anything, they're just a "distribution provider". Starbucks pay licensing fees to other related companies and buy all their coffee beans from Switzerland and have them roasted in Holland.

Other than losing the tax man a substantial sum of money every year (at least £500m a year from the companies above) it's taking money out of the UK, taking jobs out of the UK, reducing investment in the UK and putting UK companies out of business.

Reckon time is running out for them as the pressure will force the government to do something. Though you have to question why they haven't acted before now, reckon their links to big business are just as corrupting as their media links.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 16:57:21 by jonny72 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 17:14:15 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20022365
US auction site eBay has paid only £1.2m in tax in the UK, according to an investigation by the Sunday Times.

The newspaper said that its tax bill in 2010 comes despite eBay's UK subsidiaries generating sales of £800m.

We are all in this together. Except big multinationals, obviously.

I agree Johnny, its legal so why wouldn't they? Time for the Government to have a look at it.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 17:25:15 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20022365
We are all in this together. Except big multinationals, obviously.

I agree Johnny, its legal so why wouldn't they? Time for the Government to have a look at it.

I love the irony of a BBC report on tax avoidance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9588020/How-Jeremy-Paxman-blew-lid-on-BBCs-complicity-in-tax-avoidance-pay-deals.html

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:00:17 »

I still don't understand how they are allowed to do that (push their salary through a limited company) as there was a new tax law (IR35) introduced in 2000 that was designed to specifically put an end to it. But probably shouldn't be surprised that civil servants and the BBC have found a way round it, all parts of the Government that wrote the legislation.
fatbasher

« Reply #141 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:17:00 »

Boycott them. Simples. I do wherever I can. For example I iwll not buy Argentinian wine. The more that stupid woman critisies us for claiming the Falklands as British and sabre rattles the less likely I am to buy their wine or other goods.

It is about time we tried harder to buy from friendly countries and home produced good where possible.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:19:18 »

I do the same with Israeli produce, refuse to buy goods from that country.

I have no issue with Argentina at all, so happily enjoy their wine.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:40:43 »

more people need to boycott israel.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:41:06 »

I have no issue with Argentina at all, so happily enjoy their wine.

I do that too!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
red socks

« Reply #145 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:44:09 »

Boycott them. Simples. I do wherever I can. For example I iwll not buy Argentinian wine. The more that stupid woman critisies us for claiming the Falklands as British and sabre rattles the less likely I am to buy their wine or other goods.

It is about time we tried harder to buy from friendly countries and home produced good where possible.

You boycott the BBC??

Who are these friendly countries of which you speak?
Coca Fola

« Reply #146 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:47:41 »

If I like something I don't care where it's from.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:49:01 »

I boycott the X-Factor and Strictly come dancing but that shit is still polluting the airwaves.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:49:02 »

I just buy the cheapest version of the product in question.

Though that could be because I am A. A student and B. a massive cheapskate

stfcinbmth

« Reply #149 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:58:33 »

There has been increasing coverage in the media recently of companies that are legally avoiding paying UK taxes. Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Google and Starbucks have all been featured though there are obviously lots more doing the same - Apple and Microsoft for starters.

They all use the same trick - pushing sales and profits through other EU countries with lower tax rates (Ireland, Luxembourg and Holland). So Amazon UK doesn't actually sell anything, they're just a "distribution provider". Starbucks pay licensing fees to other related companies and buy all their coffee beans from Switzerland and have them roasted in Holland.

Other than losing the tax man a substantial sum of money every year (at least £500m a year from the companies above) it's taking money out of the UK, taking jobs out of the UK, reducing investment in the UK and putting UK companies out of business.

Reckon time is running out for them as the pressure will force the government to do something. Though you have to question why they haven't acted before now, reckon their links to big business are just as corrupting as their media links.

I don't watch the news as it's far too depressing but I must admit I find this pretty reprehensible. How can the Government who are supposed to be acting in our best interests let them get away with it?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: