Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aims for the remaining games  (Read 7531 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:58:34 »

I also get the sense that Morris felt that they weren't fit, which to my eye they weren't. If he has been pushing them, and we hear that in game they have been doing more than at any point in the season, then perhaps the famous 'load management' has gone awry. Injury crises tend to compound themselves too with rushing players back early to plug gaps. Might have been the case with Devine/Tomlinson. FBT was likely back early on Saturday and the plan can't have been for him to push 90+ mins either. We need to tread carefully. I'd add 'no injuries to key players for next season' to my list of aims for the remainder of this one.
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 11:27:37 »

Trying to be glass half full about this season and the next one.....

I feel under Morris, the team has slowly but surely improved, fitness levels are rising, and the team seem to be pressing as a team and working hard for the majority of the game. The negatives are that we've not seen any/much action in the final 3rd and whatever this zonal defense system is, they haven't got it bedded down yet as we are very prone to leaking easy goals.

In a way, we are rank outsiders now for doing anything this year, and I hope that eases whatever pressure was being felt so that we simply go out and play football. There a bunch of winnable games in the next 9 and whilst I may be utterly deluded and probably derided, there is a lot still to play for.

Next up Hartlepool....should be 3 points, then Mansfield, Tranmere, Barrow.....all teams around us. It seems like a big ask but 12/12 is possible, that will make the last 5 matches really interesting. There will be one or two teams in the Top 10 who have a poor set of results.

Recruitment. The Sandro approach has yielded one or two gems.....also one or two donkeys, and arguably we've been quick to cash in on experience and sold well established players on without anything substantial to replace.

If Morris can get in McEachran / Brewitt, who as out of contract are still good footballers, then what we get when he's got a blank canvas to start from, I will be excited to see.

Williams likely to go, will be a shame, but he's not running rings round anyone now in League 2, they all know he spends the majority of the time falling over and looking for a free kick, and no matter where that is on the pitch, we carry next to zero much threat of scoring from one, particularly as Cain seems to have been demoted to bench warmer (anyone know why? eg...Why Darcy brought on an not Cain who can make things happen with both feet and isn't powder puff running around)

Definitely need a call on Austin....either build a team to support feeding him in the box for next season or move him on and free up some wage budget. He should not be coming back to the half way line to get a touch of the ball. Me personally, I still think he's lethal in the box and would rather have him with us for a couple more seasons with a view to blooding him into coaching thereafter.

Hutton seems to have lost his ability to cross, but how much of that is because the balls played to him are generally behind him...if he had something to run onto at pace then maybe just maybe we'd see some goalmouth action.

Well....I started off saying glass half full, I have rambled a bit, but as a closing comment, I think we look better each mach under JM, and over time we will reap the rewards of his football knowledge and massive contacts list. However it finishes this year, we have a club, we own the ground and the future for our little bit of the footballing world is pretty positive. I'm sure we'll get out of Div 2 soon! That's what keeps me going back anyway.

derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 11:44:33 »

All valid points and reasonable assumptions, no doubt more will be leaked when some players do leave.

I have been quite negative to the Sandro recruitment, and although I think this is partly to blame for this season, I don't think many are denying that. I would like to see this being more back ground, rather then forefront. I think his comments on every signing to be quite infuriating to be honest.

Their is an inherent lack of fitness and conditioning with the squad, that after the first half of the season, is now feeling the effects, especially with heavy pitches. Morris has no doubt pushed harder then SL, as this has compounded the issue further. This is what a preseason is for, we really only have  one person to look at here. Mr SL. Maybe a good coach on technical skill, but lacking on match prep side of things. (so maybe our sports and fitness department should be questioned a bit here also)

I'm already looking forward to next season, I like to think that the picture will look a lot more positive.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 12:32:44 »

I'm already looking forward to next season, I like to think that the picture will look a lot more positive.
Definately this.

As long as Jodie can sign the players he wants to in the Summer I have a feeling it could be our year next year.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 12:33:33 »

Just did a quick check, we are up to 41 players used this season - that just seems like a shocking number to me.

Just did another quick check and we are 11th and ten points from the play offs, that also seems quite shocking to me.

10 red cards - quite shocking.

Whichever way you cut it - the squad is shit (relatively speaking to the type of expectations we might well have as a club in Div 4).  It is loaded with players who "might" be good, but very few who actually are right now.  Many of those rough diamonds remain with pointy edges, some have barely managed a games worth of minutes and very few can get a loan sorted at any sort of decent level (which says a lot).

Blame can certainly be shared - both Managers have simply not done enough either, regardless of the hand they may have been played.  Rec recruitment has been painful - not just in terms of talent, but in terms of street smarts, the ready here and now type of players and in terms of squad positions - we have four left backs, not counting Lavinier.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:19:32 »

Definately this.

As long as Jodie can sign the players he wants to in the Summer I have a feeling it could be our year next year.

Jody, it's Jody.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:21:31 »

Jodie Marsh is our new manager. Sandro liked her....data.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:28:32 »

Jody, it's Jody.
Same shit its still a girls name! Cheesy

Henceforth I shall call him JoMo.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:32:53 »

First post here after being a guest lurker, awaiting the usual welcome   Cheesy

I think the first thing in any setup for the remaining games would be based on if Morris has any preference towards a back 3 or back 4 next season.

I have reservations about our current CB options. Brewitt, Clayton and FBT are the competent options and all show some ability but I don’t think a combination of any of them will be good enough for a serious promotion push based on what we’ve seen. We’ve seen 2 left footers doesn’t really work (FBT+Clayton), leaving Brewitt plus one of FBT/Clayton if a back 4 is used. FBT I think is perfect for the left hand side of a back 3 with his ability to make driving runs. Brewitt seems a good find and Clayton has shown his potential when playing alongside an experienced CB partner. Tricky situation for Morris to solve but I imagine we’ll see at least one new face in that area.

In fullback/wingback we seem well stocked if we can keep any of them fit. Hutton seems likely to be off but I think a pairing of Tomlinson and Lavinier can be up there to compete with the best in this league IF kept fit. Natural wide players/wingers is what we seem to lack, Shade and Roberts seem the only “natural” options there but neither can get consistent time on the pitch, Hutton may also have been an option there.  Williams seems better central and RHM/Wakeling don’t look comfortable out there. RHM is very raw and a live wire that frightens opposition, if we ever went 4-2-3-1 then I’d like to see him in the middle of the 3, rotating with Williams, then 2 proper wide players either side.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:48:19 »

What a cunt!

Welcome.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:52:27 »

I'd like to see if Brewitt/FBT could be a good enough pairing for next year
See Clayton tried in a DM role
Get Tomlinson a decent run of games at LB and see if he can prove his fitness to make the signing permanent
Try Lavinier at RB on the basis that the mood music is Hutton is off

These all immediately sprung to my mind.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:53:48 »

Basically play who will be under contract next season.

You may have to due to lack of fit numbers in certain positions, but we definitely need to prioritise players that will be here next year even if its a youth player over an international. If they're definitely not here, they need to be last choice.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 13:58:00 »

Jephcott will be the next Revell.
He’ll end up somewhere like Newport and score against us every time he played against us.

I can see that.

He's been shit for us, but I don't think he is shit. We've been shit and he's had shit service and not been able to play well in spite of that.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 14:00:29 »

Agreed. Eoin Doyle scores close to zero goals in this team. Doesn't make him shit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 14:51:22 »

Courtesy of drs via Twitter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: