Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 372651 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2970 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 12:53:34 »

I am not fussed about losing any of this team tbh, bar Glatzel, McGurk and UGM

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2971 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:15:28 »

Can't just be me who thinks FBT would be a massive miss? about as good as you're going to get at this level. Yeah he's been part of a defence that has conceded shit loads - but that's down to the absolutely appalling defensive structure in place.

I would be happy next season if the following were still here:

Bycroft
FBT
UGM (as right back)
Kokolo
McGurk
Glatzel
Drinan
Ofoborh (this is very reactionary but there's a reason Rangers signed him on a 4 year contract)

I think Jake Cain still has a year left too? I think he actually has something to offer. Again in a proper midfield structure.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #2972 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:21:19 »

Can't just be me who thinks FBT would be a massive miss? about as good as you're going to get at this level. Yeah he's been part of a defence that has conceded shit loads - but that's down to the absolutely appalling defensive structure in place.

Bycroft
FBT
UGM (as right back)
Kokolo
McGurk
Glatzel
Drinan
Ofoborh (this is very reactionary but there's a reason Rangers signed him on a 4 year contract)

I think Jake Cain still has a year left too? I think he actually has something to offer. Again in a proper midfield structure

I think similar, but the i have to check myself and say if a defence of FBT, kokolo, UGM and McCarthy wasn't good enough this season, why do i want to keep them all? I guess some could be back up.

Or of course, we are blaming the coaching, team structure and midfield which is fair also.

Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2973 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:33:22 »

Defenders at this level are largely only as good as the protection in front of them.

Teams have been running at our exposed defence all season. Defenders will always look shit in these scenarios.

For example, look at Barrows defence at the weekend. They had an outside chance of automatics and they looked all at sea when left to deal with 1v1 scenarios.

If you just ask FBT to head the ball and keep it simple in possession whilst giving him a little bit of help, he's easily one of the best left sided defenders in the division.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2974 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:36:21 »

Whilst our defence are not top quality players I feel they’ve all been let down massively by the tactics and midfield in front of them.

If it was a straight choice between having the same defence & a new midfield OR having a new defence but the same midfield - I’d take the first option without a second of deliberation.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2975 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:42:02 »

We also really don't want to change 80% of our squad again if we can avoid it, that level of turnover just isn't conducive to building any sort of winning team (let alone any connection between fans and players).

If members of this squad are "good enough" then I'd be inclined to keep them.

Of the current squad, we already have Minturn, UGM, Cain, Aguiar, Dworzak and Drinan under confirmed contract for next year.

We have options on Johnson, Glatzel, Bycroft, McGurk, whatever those involve.

That leaves Brann, Clayton, FBT, Brewitt, Kokolo, Devine, McEachran, Khan, Uwakwe, Oforborh, RHM, Austin, Shade, Adeloye & Genesini

I think of those nobody is expecting us to renew Devine, Uwakwe, Shade, Adeloye or Genesini, so the discussions are over Brann, Clayton, Brewitt, Kokolo, McEachran, Khan, RHM and Austin (assuming he doesn't retire).

Of those I'd probably only want to see the midfielders renew (and then I have no expectation of Khan renewing). Kokolo probably done enough for another year although I wouldn't.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2976 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 13:52:11 »

When you consider Kokolo had no pre-season and hadn't played for a year or so I think he's been more than fine.

I would like to see what he can do now he's got a good season behind him to get back up to speed.

Khan has probably shown enough glimpses for somebody to take a punt. Plymouth were sniffing around a year or so back. And Wrexham more recently. Not saying he will go to this calibre, but will end up somewhere deemed 'better' than us.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #2977 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 14:53:16 »

Bycroft
FBT
UGM (as right back)
Kokolo
McGurk
Glatzel
Drinan

I think Jake Cain still has a year left too? I think he actually has something to offer. Again in a proper midfield structure.

Good list (inc Cain). I'd add McEachran and try and sign Elbouzady

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #2978 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 14:56:02 »

I am going to be that really harsh fucker who people thinks is saying it for attention but we should be getting much better than Bycroft
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2979 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:00:03 »

I am going to be that really harsh fucker who people thinks is saying it for attention but we should be getting much better than Bycroft
I’m inclined to agree. He’d be ok as number 2 pushing the number 1 but the guy can’t kick, similar to Ward. I find this really bizarre as we were told by people that he was good with his feet, but he really isn’t.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #2980 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:05:36 »

Of the OOC players I’d keep Brann and FBT (unlikely he will sign though)
I’d like to give six months with an option to Clayton and Uwakwe to see if they can get fit and in the team. Both good players if fit.
Also Ofoborh but I’m hoping we have an option for next season anyway - if we don’t he’ll probably end up at Carlisle!
« Last Edit: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:08:37 by Bob1978 » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2981 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:09:55 »

Bycroft at best is no better than Ward, for me. Doesn't mean he's a bad keeper but he'd do as number 2 if we're trying to assemble a competent squad (which we're probably not).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2982 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:14:29 »

He's got good potential but is a bit raw at times. Age appropriate. Kicking is a weak spot.

I think he's OK myself. I guess the question is would he be #1 in a promotion challenging side?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2983 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:28:28 »

He's got good potential but is a bit raw at times. Age appropriate. Kicking is a weak spot.

I think he's OK myself. I guess the question is would he be #1 in a promotion challenging side?
There’s also the farce of him being captain, that he certainly shouldn’t be and remains an utterly bizarre decision.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #2984 on: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:31:36 »

Bycroft is fine in my opinion - if we can get an experienced back up to push though I’d go for that. That’s unlikely though. I’d go with the three we have.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 8, 2024, 15:44:20 by Bob1978 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: