Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 ... 210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 372612 times)
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #2400 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 22:11:37 »

Clayton out 6 to 8 weeks, hamstring injury
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 22:22:36 by Lemis » Logged

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2401 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:27:26 »

Quote from: Lemis
Clayton out 6 to 8 weeks, hamstring injury

he's got Iandolotis
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2402 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:29:31 »

Quote from: Nemo
Been said before plenty, but Kanu's injury really was awfully timed, cost him 20 appearances at least over the season.

But Kanu should have been the emergency choice this season, not first team squad player instead of Wakeling (imo).

Ease him in without pressure.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2403 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 09:19:10 »

Been said before plenty, but Kanu's injury really was awfully timed, cost him 20 appearances at least over the season.

Do you think had Kanu been available he would be a good option as our 4th striker for a promotion chasing side? It was always going to be a tough ask for him although he has scored a lot of goals in the academy. I imagine they have high hopes for him in the first team next season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2404 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 10:27:51 »

Do you think had Kanu been available he would be a good option as our 4th striker for a promotion chasing side? It was always going to be a tough ask for him although he has scored a lot of goals in the academy. I imagine they have high hopes for him in the first team next season.

I don't know, but I'm sure he'd have been a better option than Obodo.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2405 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 10:45:42 »

He looked ok in flashes Kanu, didn't he? It would have been a huge opportunity for him personally.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2406 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 10:58:25 »

I don't know, but I'm sure he'd have been a better option than Obodo.

Yeah I don't disagree, Kanu was on the fringes and had about 7 games where he got on the pitch in first team games. Really unfortunate timing of his injury.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2407 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 12:43:38 »

The fact we are talking about Kanu's injury depriving him of being our 4th choice striker really does say it all.

He is 2-3 years away from being ready. His development plan (injury aside), if we were a serious club, would probably run something like:

23/24 - See out the season in the under 18's. Gain as much confidence as possible.

24/25 - A season out on loan in the national league south. Test him in pro football. How good is he really.

25/26 - Re assess. Did he show enough promise like a Twine or a Minturn to suggest he's worth investing in? does he need another season in the NLS or can he make the step up to the national league? if we can find a national league loan then do it.

26/27 - Now hopefully ready to be part of the first team squad.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2408 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 12:53:57 »

The fact we are talking about Kanu's injury depriving him of being our 4th choice striker really does say it all.

He is 2-3 years away from being ready. His development plan (injury aside), if we were a serious club, would probably run something like:

23/24 - See out the season in the under 18's. Gain as much confidence as possible.

24/25 - A season out on loan in the national league south. Test him in pro football. How good is he really.

25/26 - Re assess. Did he show enough promise like a Twine or a Minturn to suggest he's worth investing in? does he need another season in the NLS or can he make the step up to the national league? if we can find a national league loan then do it.

26/27 - Now hopefully ready to be part of the first team squad.
I concur.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2409 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 12:59:27 »

That's certainly true of the average player, but the best prospects can break through earlier especially if they are physically more advanced than their peers. Tchamadeu at Colchester was an established first team player at 17 after a debut at 16, only 19 now and made 82 League Two appearances. Development varies hugely between players, but I don't think there's any doubt he'd have had a chance to prove either way if he was ready this season were he fit.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2410 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:03:29 »

Point taken, but I'm just going by law of averages. Tchamadeu is not the norm. I doubt you'll find a single EFL side that are consistently starting a 17 year old this season.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2411 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:15:18 »

Archie Gray at Leeds, Jobe Bellingham at Sunderland are both playing almost every game and are 17 year olds. But these absolutely are exceptional talents, and the key difference is that there are senior pros who they're ahead of because they're good enough, rather than being thrown in the deep end because there is simply nobody else.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2412 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:32:56 »

Point taken, but I'm just going by law of averages. Tchamadeu is not the norm. I doubt you'll find a single EFL side that are consistently starting a 17 year old this season.
Tchamadeu was/is an exceptional talent, especially so for a L2 side, as you say I doubt there is a comparable home grown talent under the age of 18 in L2 though, exception rather than rule.

Archie Gray at Leeds, Jobe Bellingham at Sunderland are both playing almost every game and are 17 year olds. But these absolutely are exceptional talents, and the key difference is that there are senior pros who they're ahead of because they're good enough, rather than being thrown in the deep end because there is simply nobody else.
It is easier higher up the leagues to attract talent of that level at a young age, our best hope would be loaning a player like that.

In my life following Town I can only remember 1 homegrown player of 17 who was anywhere near good enough to be relied upon in the starting line up on a weekly basis and that was Paul Rideout, who was already an England U17 international, something very rare for a Div 4/L2 side at any time.

Our young players have always been squad padders at best and not important members of the squad, but I dont remember us ever having to have so many in a matchday squad before, ever. In all honestly Kanu and Minturn are both probably still a couple of years away from being of the required standard for regular L2 football. But, I am happy to be proved wrong.

Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2413 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:36:08 »

Which makes me sad. Poor Minturn should be on loan in the national league but we're wheeling him out to be exposed by veteran EFL strikers with 200+ games under their belts. He's given away a couple of penalties now and I just feel awful for him. He shouldn't be in this position.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #2414 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:55:28 »

Which makes me sad. Poor Minturn should be on loan in the national league but we're wheeling him out to be exposed by veteran EFL strikers with 200+ games under their belts. He's given away a couple of penalties now and I just feel awful for him. He shouldn't be in this position.
Absolutely, I was saying this exact thing to a couple of fellow TEFers after Saturday and yesterday.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 ... 210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: