Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 381217 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1965 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:38:33 »

Things are perfectly fine as long as our first XI can play 90 minutes every week (sometimes twice a week) from now until January with no one picking up any injuries or suspensions.

Luckily we’re not in a highly physical league with a massively congested fixture schedule. So that should be fine. As well as 2 of our 3 strikers being an ageing player that we’re now going to have to ask to play almost every minute and an injury prone RHM.

We can then reinforce with more numbers in January with our competitive budget. After we’ve replaced the recalled Young and Kemp first of course

Yeah......pretty shite ain't it?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1966 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:39:08 »

Yup, and I have no issue really with Wakeling moving on for presumably a reasonable fee (£200k ish?) in isolation.

But this is the crux for me. Yes,if we got 200 ,000 for Wakeling that would be good business. If it's like 75,000( which,given our financial situation is just as likely) that's crap in my book.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1967 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:41:29 »

Just have to hope there are some ooc players that join quickly.

There are. There are mainly players like Connor Wickham that we won't get.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #1968 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:57:43 »

Thought I'd compare this squad to the Garner season size wise as it seems comparable - we had a tiny squad, got fairly lucky with injuries, were competitive in the league but the tiredness seemed to get us in the playoffs.

Goalkeepers
Then: Wollacott, Ward, Idem (3)
Now: Mahoney, Ward, Brann (3)

Central Defence
Then: Odimayo, Conroy, Baudry, Crichlow/Cooper/O'Brien (Part season loans) (6, but basically 4 at a time)
Now: FBT, UGM, Brewitt, Clayton, Minturn, B Ward  (6)

Full Backs
Then: Hunt, KKH/Egbo, Tomlinson, Iandolo (5, but only 4 on the books at any one time)
Now: Hutton, Genesini, Uwakwe, Shade (4, I'm not counting Devine)

Midfielders
Then: Gladwin, Lyden (injured all season), Williams, Payne Reed, Aguiar, Grant (played 5 games) (5 to 7 depending on if you count Lyden and Grant)
Now: McEachran, Khan, Kinsella, Kemp, Cain, Dworzak (5 or 6 depending on if you count Dworzak)

Forwards
Then: Simpson/Davison, McKirdy, Barry/Gilbert, JML, Parsons (5, but 3 functional footballers)
Now: Austin, RHM, Young (3)

That's... pretty much the same throughout.

I may be wrong but I make that only 5 or 6 contracted beyond this season. Another preseason rebuild awaits

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1969 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 12:04:59 »

It's less than that - only UGM, Cain, Dworzak and Aguiar confirmed beyond this year although Kinsella and a few others are unknown. I have contract lengths in the first post of this thread.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 12:09:27 by Nemo » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1970 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 13:32:48 »

I like the squad size comparisons.

maybe I'm being accidentally biased to fit my thoughts, but it looks like this squad is far less experienced than Garners.

Does that make a difference. I guess only results can show that
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1971 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 13:49:00 »

It's less than that - only UGM, Cain, Dworzak and Aguiar confirmed beyond this year although Kinsella and a few others are unknown. I have contract lengths in the first post of this thread.

It was said at the fans forum that there is no secret to play contract lengths, so the club should be prepared to update fans on contract lengths
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1972 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 14:35:56 »

Radio Tees reporting that we put in a bid for Josh Umerah last night. I can't imagine that was close to the valuation!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1973 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 14:40:52 »

Radio Tees reporting that we put in a bid for Josh Umerah last night. I can't imagine that was close to the valuation!
Adeloye MKII.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1974 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 14:41:49 »

Just bigger and slower!

So, give no fucks
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #1975 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 14:48:31 »

Would've been a decent signing that.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1976 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 14:53:33 »

We must think clubs will accept the same offers that we tend to do

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1977 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 16:00:04 »

So, if actions speak louder than words, then it seems fairly evident our budget is not competitive to build a top 3 squad.  It seems to have stretched just far enough for a challenging first XI, but that is about it, and it snapped back a bit on deadline day so we couldn't even retain a back-up, let alone add one of the three or so our own Manager had expressed a while ago we really needed, and presume he thought he could get.

Oh well, bit of a gamble now - any suspensions or injuries and we are wafer thin in the replacements - just look at Shade - one good goal a summer does not make.  His 10 minute or so cameo today was to put the ball out a few times and one run followed by a pass back to where he came from.

I think we'll be in play off contention, so it may at least remain a bit fun at times, but that is not good enough really.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1978 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 16:04:42 »

Flynn hoping to get free agents done early
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1979 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 16:05:13 »

Flynn hoping to get free agents done early
Not holding my breath on that one.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: