Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power radio phone in  (Read 89258 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #225 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 14:16:51 »

But does the Adver, with it's limited and likely loyal readership, sell more copies because they went all Sun with the headlines? It grates me. The paper is small and local. So STFC hadn't paid a debt, why be cunty about it? You don't have to report a story like a redtop twat to sell 5 more copies.

I don't care if Power's barred them. Good. It's not like he could go all Berlusconi or Murdoch and ensure favourable print. I don't think they need muffling as such, and I don't think Power's doing that. They just need to learn to keep a fucking handle on the shit they print. You can spin shit both ways for fucks sake, so why print sensationalist drivel about a club in the town you work, be fucking gentle and honest, but don't be bellends.

This is what happens when you shit where you live. Tough tits.
Flashheart

« Reply #226 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 14:20:26 »

You can spin shit both ways for fucks sake, so why print sensationalist drivel about a club in the town you work,

From what I'm led to believe the adver's based in Oxford (albeit with an office in Swindon). One thing I do know is that the journo's are not responsible for the headlines, at least not where STFC are concerned. I'm guessing that the person that writes the STFC headlines sits behind an office and Oxford and, quite possibly, supports a team in yellow.
Shrivvy

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 15:24:29 »

And the Adver getting a load more hits and selling more papers due to this furore. Some sort of irony.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 17:28:16 »

I think this is fair enough really:

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/11715935.Why_it_is_our_duty_to_report_on_Swindon_Town_by_Swindon_Advertiser_editor_Gary_Lawrence/

Fact is, if people don't like the stories the Adver print then they won't but it to read them, and the paper will die a quicker death. The Adver are there to try and make money, not suck off the club.
Je suis Adver...

They can print what they want, I don't give a fuck.

The fact they seem to have a spastic filing the reports is a different matter.

Edit: And the fact the subby is obviously in Scumsville and not Swindon, bearing in mind he decides the headline and not the journalist, means I haven't been to the Adver site for about 3 months.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 17:30:36 »

Je suis Adver...

They can print what they want, I don't give a fuck.

The fact they seem to have a spastic filing the reports is a different matter.
Exactly
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 18:17:58 »

"We, like our readers, will be behind the team long after Mr Power has departed"

I wouldn't put too much money on that.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 22:45:41 »

But does the Adver, with it's limited and likely loyal readership, sell more copies because they went all Sun with the headlines? It grates me. The paper is small and local. So STFC hadn't paid a debt, why be cunty about it? You don't have to report a story like a redtop twat to sell 5 more copies.

I don't care if Power's barred them. Good. It's not like he could go all Berlusconi or Murdoch and ensure favourable print. I don't think they need muffling as such, and I don't think Power's doing that. They just need to learn to keep a fucking handle on the shit they print. You can spin shit both ways for fucks sake, so why print sensationalist drivel about a club in the town you work, be fucking gentle and honest, but don't be bellends.

This is what happens when you shit where you live. Tough tits.

This
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 23:41:35 »

The adver aka the thinking mans Beano.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 02:27:40 »

It would be helpful if some of those that are "pro-adver", as it were, remember they were banned from a press conference, not threatened with being shot in the face if they came near the place again. It's nowhere near censorship of free speech or the right to report news. It's more "you're a bit useless, and you can fuck right off if you think you're getting first dibs on news from now on" Isn't it?

I know it's unusual for our fans to overreact but it's not exactly North Korea is it?  Suicide

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 03:56:33 »

Al the negative story telling by the adver is having a direct effect on attendances. I really don't blame Power for having nothing to do with them as his sustainable model is attendance reliant.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 08:39:14 »

It would be helpful if some of those that are "pro-adver", as it were, remember they were banned from a press conference, not threatened with being shot in the face if they came near the place again. It's nowhere near censorship of free speech or the right to report news. It's more "you're a bit useless, and you can fuck right off if you think you're getting first dibs on news from now on" Isn't it?

I know it's unusual for our fans to overreact but it's not exactly North Korea is it?  Suicide
They weren't banned from the press conference. It was invitation only an they weren't invited.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 09:24:24 »

I know it's unusual for our fans to overreact but it's not exactly North Korea is it?  Suicide

Thanks for the clarification. Its very helpful. Kim Jong-camerUN is watching you,

Whilst we are on clarifications, its not about being "pro adver" as such, stopped reading it when the Adver three left and their replacements couldn't be bothered. Its about it being a petty response to no liking what someone writes.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 10:19:06 »

Je suis Batch.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 13:49:38 »

As a fellow non adver buyer, but occasional reader (although much less now because of the other options)  I do think that there is a wider point here.  We as fans need / want to know what is going on at the club, both good and bad and rely on the local media to supply this.  If not we'll be forced to rely on the wild ramblings of various nutters on social media.

So I am slightly disappointed that Sam has kept his head down on this one, apart from saying that no agreement is in place for them not to report on bad news.  I may be doing a disservice to Sam and quietly behind the scenes he has lobbied for the adver to be included.  I appreciate that they are rivals, but there are some principles at stake here.

While I accept that there is no agreement in place for other outlets not to print negative stories, there may not need to be, if they see the risks involved, because these newer organisations rely massively on getting contact with players, manager and chairman to get stories and visitors and therefore revenue, to a greater extent possibly than the adver / newsquest? do.

So do we all feel confident that after what has happened that FLIC or Link would now print a negative story?? 

This isn't a slight against these organisations its really a case of the club trying to dictate what people get to know, and so is a different issue to whether the adver is any good, that will and is being determined by the market, and like others have said I can see it moving towards weekly or more likely web only at some point in the future.   

Barry Scott

« Reply #239 on: Sunday, January 11, 2015, 14:05:27 »

I personally don't think the issue is with negative stories, but the sensationalist over-the-top way in which they're reported. You don't have to pander to mongs who love this modern sensationalist negative crap, some of us do care for measured and balanced opinion.

The Adver being banned, doesn't mean there's a carpet ban on negative stories.  Roll Eyes (Although it would be nice if we have some positive, dare I say, "feel good", news every once in a while. The world, and STFC, isn't entirely filled with shit and hate.)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: