Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power radio phone in  (Read 89297 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 07:43:51 »

And the last place where I was lucky enough to see The Don play, by then barely walking. A sublime chip into the net from 20 yards during a charity match. It's the story of Swindon Town though, having to give up an asset when with a little foresight it would have been worth 10, 20, 30 times the value actually achieved.
Perhaps Reg can tell us just how many houses the club actually owned in Shrivenham Road which were sold off, also the old hostel in County Road (by the Magic roundabout) which was used by youth team players - and subsequently sold off to a chairman of the club a few years ago, been a few bob made out of it now!!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 08:15:26 »

Yeah but streaming in 4G is much smoother, with no buffering.
Would that mean we have to have Kevin Bacon on the coaching staff?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:12:42 »

Tom Bassam
‏@Tbassam
I arrived at this morning's press call and was refused entry, the Advertiser had not been invited at the request of the chairman. #stfc

I see that the Adver have been banned again, in what must be an annual tradition.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:21:19 »

@Tbassam: I was told the chairman felt he got the media coverage he wanted from the outlets invited and that the Advertiser was not invited. #stfc

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:32:20 »

The quality of coverage has improved recently. At least now he does some research and proof reads his work!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #140 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:42:26 »

And the last place where I was lucky enough to see The Don play, by then barely walking. A sublime chip into the net from 20 yards during a charity match. It's the story of Swindon Town though, having to give up an asset when with a little foresight it would have been worth 10, 20, 30 times the value actually achieved.
I saw Rod Stewart and George Best play there in the 70's in charity matches. Used to watch training from top of the old metal railway footbridge that we used to call the bunky bridge.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:48:12 »

@Tbassam: I was told the chairman felt he got the media coverage he wanted from the outlets invited and that the Advertiser was not invited. #stfc

Was he the guy that tweeted during the phone in?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:48:35 »

Yep if you mean this one

@Tbassam: 'Certain local media', hi Lee, we're here and we're not going to stop reporting the news. #stfc
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:11:18 »

I saw Rod Stewart and George Best play there in the 70's in charity matches. Used to watch training from top of the old metal railway footbridge that we used to call the bunky bridge.

Ha ha ace.  The real Bunky Brdige, was or maybe still is the concrete job on Gypsy Lane...so called because the 0-6-0 pannier tanks used to rumble under it on the Highworth Branch....by the time I got to see them in the late 50's very early 60's, it was freight only, plus a couple of trains into and out of the works from Highworth for workers.

Did you get numbers at the same time as watching training?  I used to do that up until it was flogged off....the closest I get to multi-tasking.

Ronnie.....the only house owned on Shrivenham Road was #1.  An extension was built on it taking it right up against the ground, and apprentices used to live there and the occasional lodger like Stan Harland, who never moved here from Liverpool.

The club houses were in Walcot East....Wigmore Avenue way, off Upham Road.  Not sure how many, but I know the likes of Peter Noble, Owen Dawson, and John Smith had places there....

As for the place by the MR, that'd be Cliff Puffett, who you refer to, again don't know much about it...but didn't BB have something to do with it?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #144 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:49:53 »

Yeah I know the stone bridge was the proper bunky brudge but as little kids we always called the metal bridge that name too, no idea why though.

Yes we did used to occassional collect numbers while watching training as it was close to our school at Gorse Hill, especially in the summer months close season where we used to go and sit and watch training in the stand which they didn't mind, watching Kamara, Rowland and Mayes et al doing their stuff which consisted mainly of 11 v 11 games and running round the pitch back then.

Their always used to be a charity match at least once a season and I saw Midge Ure and several TV stars like Dennis Waterman play there also. Something silly like 10p entry for games unless you crept through the fence Wink

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:52:59 »

Yep if you mean this one

@Tbassam: 'Certain local media', hi Lee, we're here and we're not going to stop reporting the news. #stfc

Ha bet he feels clever this morning..
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:56:28 »

What is the Adver deemed to be guilty of specifically?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #147 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:58:45 »

Ha bet he feels clever this morning..
I dont blame Power for refusing them entry, all they do is report the bad and not the good things at the club, often storms in tea cups that turn out to be very trivial and not even newsworthy at all. The Adver does seem to have an agenda against the club now which is a total reversal of how it used to be.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:59:43 »

Yeah I know the stone bridge was the proper bunky brudge but as little kids we always called the metal bridge that name too, no idea why though.

Yes we did used to occassional collect numbers while watching training as it was close to our school at Gorse Hill, especially in the summer months close season where we used to go and sit and watch training in the stand which they didn't mind, watching Kamara, Rowland and Mayes et al doing their stuff which consisted mainly of 11 v 11 games and running round the pitch back then.

Their always used to be a charity match at least once a season and I saw Midge Ure and several TV stars like Dennis Waterman play there also. Something silly like 10p entry for games unless you crept through the fence Wink

I certainly missed the charity games...would be great if someone had a program or 2, that could be scanned, so that the washbag could nick it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #149 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 11:02:00 »

I certainly missed the charity games...would be great if someone had a program or 2, that could be scanned, so that the washbag could nick it.
I was thinking the same, I lost all my old programmes when I left my ex wife. They always used to print out the teams with a little description of who they were (e.g. pop singer or tv presenter) alongside them and always cost 2p per sheet!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: