Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who to keep and who to bin  (Read 15142 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 17:55:04 »

I think some people are being a tad dramatic about the potential cuts.

Case in point: Paul Caddis. Birmingham offered us some money for him yet we refused the offer. We can't be that eager to get him off the payroll.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 18:50:06 »

Case in point: Paul Caddis. Birmingham offered us some money for him yet we refused the offer. We can't be that eager to get him off the payroll.

The sale of Ritchie, bought a bit of time. We know he had to go to see the wage bill paid for a couple of months to the end of the season. Then the season ticket money should help through the summer, so it's not an emergency, better to wait and see what the market throws up
Flashheart

« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:06:08 »

The sale of Ritchie, bought a bit of time. We know he had to go to see the wage bill paid for a couple of months to the end of the season. Then the season ticket money should help through the summer, so it's not an emergency, better to wait and see what the market throws up

So why not trigger Ferry's extension to see what the market throws up for him?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:12:35 »

Contract who knows?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:13:50 »

It's a fair point about the cup ties and trying to retain the crowd levels as they will certainly drop if we are not successful. However, as someone else said we have also lost a fair chunk of wages on coaching staff in replacing PDC & his crew with Kevin Mac & Cooper.

Ultimately the future for us (unless we get another chairman that is happy to piss away millions), is to get young players in, make them better & sell them at a profit.

It's what most lower league teams do year after year, and regardless of what some of us might think it is our natural level.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:15:35 »

IF we HAVE to get him off the wage bill we can't afford to, just in case.

IF.

But he's surely good enough to get other offers isn't he. Franchise and the like worst case.
Flashheart

« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:19:40 »

IF we HAVE to get him off the wage bill we can't afford to, just in case.

IF.

But he's surely good enough to get other offers isn't he. Franchise and the like worst case.

And if we HAVE to get Caddis off the wage bill can we afford to refuse any offers? Just in case.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:23:55 »

And if we HAVE to get Caddis off the wage bill can we afford to refuse any offers? Just in case.

Guess we'll see.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:24:54 »

Oooooh I just hope the retained list is published sooner rather than later.
Flashheart

« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:33:08 »

Let's remember also that Marlon Pack's deal was with a view to signing him permanently for 100k. There was intent there to pay money for a player.

It's clear that cuts will be made but some people are getting a bit carried away with it all. We are one of the largest clubs in the 3rd tier so even when breaking even we can still be competitive.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:35:53 »

Hahaha. A lot of those who wanted us to live within our means are the same ones moaning about budget cuts and player sales! I wonder if the irony is lost on them?

It's All Good..............
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:04:23 »

Hahaha. A lot of those who wanted us to live within our means are the same ones moaning about budget cuts and player sales! I wonder if the irony is lost on them?

I suspect it is Herthab. I think we just have to accept that some people have to have something to whine and moan about. I lapped up the good times - you have to in football, let alone when you follow Swindon.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:13:30 »

I want a happy medium, someone who can cover "small"(ish) losses year on year with the odd break even->profit from player sales.

HTH Smiley

To be honest, true break even fills me with dread. Not even the Diamandis-Wills dream team managed that.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:21:47 »

A break even wage bill, worst case, is likely to be around £3.0m. About £2.6k per player-per week average for a 22 man squad.

Supplement with some loan signings and bringing through a couple of promising youngsters. I don't see why it couldn't keep us in the top 10 of league 1. If the manager was good we could push for promotion, the standard of league 1 wasn't that good this year.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 23:37:05 »

You do wonder why we couldn't have sold Caddis ahead of Ritchie. I guess the answer is probably up front payments, but what might have been...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: