Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 378812 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1320 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 11:05:32 »

No, he is a good number two but he should be challenging alongside a proper number one.

You would imagine stepping out from STFC and being bombed out by Sutton has shown him that he is probably in a good place in that respect.

I thought he left us as he wasn't happy being a backup? If he's back training with us with a view to coming back then he's either going to be number 1, or he'll be a handy backup that's changed his mind and his now content being the 'cup keeper'.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1321 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 11:16:28 »

Ward would definitely be back up at best, he’s ok coming in and doing a job but over the course of a season as number 1 he would prove too costly as he does make a lot of mistakes.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1322 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 11:20:11 »

He's a reasonable League Two keeper. You'd hope to find someone at least as good if not better to challenge though.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #1323 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:15:50 »

A good shot stopper, but if you like to 'play out from the back' as is the modern way, that part of his game lets him down.

I come from a land down-under
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1324 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:21:23 »

If Lewis ward is our number one next season I despair

Things get better but they never get good
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1325 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:27:08 »

I think he’s the perfect number 2. Not sure about a number 1.

Benda’s profile seems like such an anomaly. Young keeper on loan who’s capable enough with his feet but also large enough to physically compete with the giants in this league. One of them pulled out of somewhere would be nice.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1326 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:28:21 »

I think he’s the perfect number 2. Not sure about a number 1.

Benda’s profile seems like such an anomaly. Young keeper on loan who’s capable enough with his feet but also large enough to physically compete with the giants in this league. One of them pulled out of somewhere would be nice.

See also Wes Foderingham, although I don't remember much tippy tappy shite in our own box with him.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #1327 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:36:42 »

See also Wes Foderingham, although I don't remember much tippy tappy shite in our own box with him.

There was loads!

Watching Fod, N Thompson and Stephens pass it around strikers in our own box, with half fans having a heart attack, is one of best memories of the past decade
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1328 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:38:00 »

Foderingham was many things but he was not large.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1329 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:39:49 »

There was loads!

Watching Fod, N Thompson and Stephens pass it around strikers in our own box, with half fans having a heart attack, is one of best memories of the past decade

I'd forgotten he was still around for that season TBH!
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1330 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 12:41:12 »

Seems a basic thing but a goalkeeper who can come out and comfortably collect crosses to take pressure off us when under the cosh is always a satisfying sight.

Something we haven’t had a lot of in recent memory (Benda aside).
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1331 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 13:14:01 »

Benda’s profile seems like such an anomaly. Young keeper on loan who’s capable enough with his feet but also large enough to physically compete with the giants in this league.

I assume you weren't at Carlisle away that season, he wouldn't have been able to compete with our present midfield that day!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1332 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 13:15:12 »

Seems a basic thing but a goalkeeper who can come out and comfortably collect crosses to take pressure off us when under the cosh is always a satisfying sight.

Something we haven’t had a lot of in recent memory (Benda aside).
The only keepers I can honestly remember doing that have been few and far between, Kenny Allen under Macari was brought in specifically to our Div 4 winning side because he was very capable of doing that, not a great shot stopper but great in the air and good distribution.

Benda was another and the only other one that springs to mind, occassionally Bart Griemink was capable of that too.

Excepting those I cannot think of any other keepers we have been that commanding coming for crosses, we tend to sign smaller more agile shot stoppers maybe with decent distribution skills not size, which seems to be the way of football now, defenders defend and get the ball away rather than a keeper doing that job, something we do not have though are defenders capable of defending.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1333 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 13:25:24 »

Dave Lucas was a pretty decent ''claimer'', although he was out of the old fashioned keeper mold like John Lukic, Kevin Pressman etc, Southall et all. Keepers on the cusp of an era where they had to start getting as fit as outfield players but were basically reliable and no one really messed with them cos they were often a bit nuts. They could give a CB pairing just a look and you'd know they needed to buck their ideas up.

I would say that type of batshit crazy element in most keepers today is gone. And by BSC, I don't mean someone like Vigouroux who was more of an entitled troublemaker - although I probably wouldn't complain if Town had a Vigs or Woolacott type back.

The aforementioned old fashioned keepers whilst marginally unhinged and even a bit rotund, still commanded respect and understood what it meant to be part of a team as a complete unit; we're seeing this less now - especially in the lower leagues due to the nature of most clubs having loan goalies. As you said (no Morris pun intended), Benda appears to be the last one of that ilk and he had the blend of both being old school yet modern at the same time. Probably the perfect hybrid when looking for a keeper - I would say.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1334 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 16:38:20 »

Anton Dworzak signs 2 year pro deal
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: