Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 132   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 160691 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:40:06 »

I was thinking this morning about the number of premier league youth coaches that seem to have failed in the last few years, in both L1 and L2.

Most of the ones I can think of seem to have only lasted 20 odd games. Are they too sheltered from the realities of football in the lower leagues?!

Yes.

That & having to win games.

Let’s just say for arguments sake - a youth coach continually wins nothing at that level, all his teams are so so and always finish mid table…but…every other year he produces a player that can slot into the first team and maybe one not quite good enough for said club but will make a decent career a bit lower in the food chain they can sell for 1m + add ons. He’d be considered to be doing a great job I’d imagine.

Another youth coach might win the lot year after year after year but produce no one good enough for the clubs first team and I’d imagine he’d be looked upon as a failure.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:42:15 »

I was thinking this morning about the number of premier league youth coaches that seem to have failed in the last few years, in both L1 and L2.

Most of the ones I can think of seem to have only lasted 20 odd games. Are they too sheltered from the realities of football in the lower leagues?!

I've started suspecting that youth level coaching isn't actually that difficult at the big sides - or at least, not that much of an indicator of applicability of success elsewhere.

The first reason is that so many of these "elite coaches" also happen to be ex-players at that club, which doesn't really suggest a wide range of talent being drawn from.

Then I think there's probably wider talent gaps between teams at that level - if you think about a first team squad, there are probably 30 players in it (more for Chelsea!) drawn from all over the world and from sort of 19-35. At youth levels, you have a one or two year age category and far more local players, so logically there will be much more of a concentration of talent at the very best funded academies. If you're playing with much stronger players than the next side down, you'll probably do pretty well regardless of quality of the management.

Then again, I thought Kevin Betsy would do well at Crawley and Morris would do well for us, so it's quite possible I'm a clueless idiot.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:44:25 by Nemo » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:43:06 »

Don’t forget Chris Kiely - I assume he will be still around

Oh and don’t forget Mrs. Austin because she tweeted something that had nothing to do with anything…that some decided was definitely about Morris.
Kiely and Sandro are one and the same so you would assume he’ll have lost his influence as well.

As for Austin’s Mrs, she was liking tweets at the same time that were saying Morris should go etc so I think it’s pretty clear it was related to Morris. Hopefully he gets a send off on Monday and we move on from him as well.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:52:50 »

I know he/Jeremy Wray basically destroyed our one chance of long term stability but.... who can honestly say they wouldn't be  a little bit excited if Paolo came back?

I know he won't but the thought of him marching out to the centre circle, scarf above head, after we smash Harrogate 5-0 in August fills my heart with joy in a way that the Cowleys/Appleton/Flynn/Artell NEVER will.

It's a lovely romantic notion but sadly one that I don't think is likely. You look down the list of who's who of league 2 managers and (maybe apart from Mark Hughes) it's a generic list of bog standard lower league managers. You look at clubs like Stevenage with Evans and Carlisle with Simpson and they've done absolutely brilliantly on what I'm assuming are budgets well below ours?

And I know it's not an exact science so there is absolutely no guarantee, but I think we need a pragmatic coach that knows how to get teams out of this rotten division. That wasn't Scott Lindsey and it wasn't Jody Morris. The list of potential managers is mediocre, granted, but one of these guys is going to get us promoted, we just have to make sure we pick the right one and put the proper footballing people in behind the scenes to assist!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:04:47 »

OMG then what will we moan about?
Their replacements, obviously.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:12:40 »

David Artell and Danny Cowley both odds on for the Walsall and Tranmere jobs.
Brian Barry Murphy is going to get the Tranmere gig.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:14:12 »

It's a lovely romantic notion but sadly one that I don't think is likely. You look down the list of who's who of league 2 managers and (maybe apart from Mark Hughes) it's a generic list of bog standard lower league managers. You look at clubs like Stevenage with Evans and Carlisle with Simpson and they've done absolutely brilliantly on what I'm assuming are budgets well below ours?

And I know it's not an exact science so there is absolutely no guarantee, but I think we need a pragmatic coach that knows how to get teams out of this rotten division. That wasn't Scott Lindsey and it wasn't Jody Morris. The list of potential managers is mediocre, granted, but one of these guys is going to get us promoted, we just have to make sure we pick the right one and put the proper footballing people in behind the scenes to assist!

I'm a romantic...  Girl Giggle
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:35:36 »

I'll take Darrell Clarke please. 4 management jobs. 4 promotions. That's the kind of experience I can get behind.

..never go back.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:36:52 »

I'll take Darrell Clarke please. 4 management jobs. 4 promotions. That's the kind of experience I can get behind.

Agreed. And I wasn't really aware of what had happened in his personal life so very happy to look past his Vale Park meltdown.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:37:34 »

What about his dog wanking antics?
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:41:45 »

His teenage daughter tragically died mid season.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:42:53 »

Personal life aside,he was a proper cunt last season. But if he comes,at least he'll be our cunt I suppose,as the old adage goes
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:47:21 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:45:13 »

On paper Clarke looks ideal but the bloke acted like a major bellend last season, so fuck that guy.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:50:34 »

On paper Clarke looks ideal but the bloke acted like a major bellend last season, so fuck that guy.
Not Steve Evans level of cuntary but yeah, a bit.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:51:52 »

Agree with this completely. Not a very good character in my book, and don't want him here regardless of promotion pedigree.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 132   Go Up
Print
Jump to: