Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next Season Goalkeeper  (Read 17941 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #45 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:21:29 »

Both keepers this year have cost us valuable points as have most the squad.I would not be confident with either of them next year as first choice

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:26:00 »

clean sweep
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:29:44 »

I don't think there is much between Brezovan and Smith, both played like average League 1 keepers this season. If Wilson can get hold of a better keeper on the cheap then great, then we can get rid of one of them, otherwise I wouldn't have a major problem with them both staying and us playing the one in form.

I can't see us paying decent money for anyone over the summer, there isn't really any need to. Plenty of players available on free transfers, plenty of young players looking for games, plenty of older players looking for games, plenty of careers gone astray looking to rebuild. Lots of clubs will be needing to offload players as well after relegation, Luton and Southampton for example.

Being able to pay decent salaries is more important, but if we can get rid of all the shit we've accumulated it will free up plenty of cash to pay a few new players something decent.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:31:55 »

I think Smith has been near on faultless since he came back into the side 10 games ago but naturally our fans remember the negatives more so.

If we can get better, great - if not he'll do a decent job between the sticks
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:33:04 »

His one save today was well great. He was very flat footed for their goal though

Things get better but they never get good

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 21:36:57 »

smith wont get better.i hope stfc do
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 00:07:30 »

I'd keep Smith and axe Brez and then look to bring in a number 1 keeper in the summer.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 02:41:41 »

I'm more than happy to keep Smithy as #1, I think some people forget who and where we are...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 06:52:35 »

I think Smith has been near on faultless since he came back into the side 10 games ago but naturally our fans remember the negatives more so.

If we can get better, great - if not he'll do a decent job between the sticks

Well said DV.

It's All Good..............
flammableBen

« Reply #54 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 08:37:51 »

Yeah. From the 4 games I've seen of smith this season (recent ones), I think he's looked pretty good.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #55 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:25:21 »

I don't think anyone has ever doubt Smith's shot stopping - it's his handling that has worried me.

However, that said he's earned a new contract and is clearly more use to us these days than Peter Brezovan.
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:40:04 »

I don't think anyone has ever doubt Smith's shot stopping - it's his handling that has worried me.

However, that said he's earned a new contract and is clearly more use to us these days than Peter Brezovan.

I never quite understand this argument. And it has been a phrase used to describe every keeper since Digby i think...

Frank Talia, Bart Griemink, Rhys Evans, Brezovan, Smith are the ones who certainly adhere to the rule of 'he's a good shot stopper, kicking and handling leave a bit to be desired mind"

Don't you think all keepers are good shot stoppers? Have you ever seen a keeper who was quality at kicking and handling but a bad shot stopper?

It's like saying "That Paynter fella, he's good at scoring open goals but his overhead kicks have let him down a bit".

For the record, I think if we're to bring in a new keeper, it would be crucial to get him in early so they get a full-ish pre-season behind his back-four.

officially blacker than the night.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #57 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:22:30 »

Well, where your point may be totally right elsewhere I'll stand by my comments... because

1) He makes great saves on more-or-less a regular basis

2) He's made too many sloppy mistakes in the past for me, the fan, to be totally comfortable when a cross/basic shot comes his way.

Smiley
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:36:09 »

Well said DV.

I think its important to look past shot-stopping - that's the easy part. The one advantage of being in a quiet Town End this year has been realising how little either of 'keepers talk to the defence - they both lack the confidence to tell the back 4 where they need to be and bark orders - The keeper needs to be the boss at the back and our two are like the shy kid in the corner.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:40:23 by The Moonraker » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 12:24:33 »

Smithed has dropped about one cross since he came back into the side and that one he got back on his line and saved the shot.

He made mistakes earlier season - but as I said he has been faultless since he came back in and that includes his gathering of crosses.

I know the likes of Greer, HRK, OTJ, Cox, Paynter & Wilson have played a massive part in getting us over the line in the end but lets not over look the contribution Smith has made since he came back into the side.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: