Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Stevenage official match day thread  (Read 58003 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:57:44 »

I'd offer the infamous game v Wovers in March 82.... we beat them 5-2 4 goals for Brian Hughes, Paul Rideout with 2 and Charlie Henry.  Infamous because it ws probably the most violent off field game ever seen at the CG.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19820129

Yes. The soaking on the Stratton Bank was well worth it that day.
Off field problems with City and the Oxford smoke bomb game that year.
Full set of local derbies with Reading in there as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 12:05:40 »

Iandolo at lb for me too.

Iandolo can improve defensively.  Taylor isn't going to get quicker.  

So Taylor can compete for the role of holding midfielder - as well as still being very decent cover for lb.  As another poster suggested, he could look to become our new "fat controller" a la McClaren (if not Hoddle Smiley).  

I feel his leadership qualities on the pitch are worth a little extra and especially with a young team.  Bottom line, his direct free kicks bring us goals.  But for Taylor, Cuthbert's strange goal could have been an equaliser.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 12:30:36 »

It speaks volumes that some of them were as knackered as they were. For too long they've been asked to play at a sedentary pace, no wonder we've been struggling for goals.

We seem to have struggled to last 90 minutes for 2-3 seasons now?
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 12:33:31 »

The last proper fitness fanatic manager was Paolo Di Canio. I'm not a stato, but as I recall we scored a lot of goals in 80+ minutes that season, see Northampton away.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 12:34:14 »

Going back to LV, looking at the highlights what the hell was he doing for their first goal, he could have easily just bloody caught it?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 12:37:39 »

It did come in at speed, but didn't cover himself in glory there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:01:12 »

Yes. The soaking on the Stratton Bank was well worth it that day.
Off field problems with City and the Oxford smoke bomb game that year.
Full set of local derbies with Reading in there as well.

At one point in the vid, you see OB removing a staunchion from the terrace... Wovers lot ripped it out and battered a hole in the Shrivenham Road stand, and then tried to batter a way into the South Side until repelled, it was like orcs attacking Helm's Deep, Bristolians a similar visage to Sauruman's mutants.

What wasn't shown, and perhaps only replicated v Millwall in the 94/95 LC QF, were fights breaking out all over the Arkells.

I lived in Stratton at the time and later on the way home a bit pissed, climbed through the hole and sat in a dark and empty CG soaking up the eerie atmosphere, not experienced before or since.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:06:38 »

It did come in at speed, but didn't cover himself in glory there.

But straight at his body, it would have been easier just to gather to his chest rather than get his hands in a muddle and punch into the net.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:10:15 »

We seem to have struggled to last 90 minutes for 2-3 seasons now?

Whereas I see your point, this season we've gained a few points late in games (Macclesfield and MK being the most extreme examples), and the only ones which we've really lost were at Crawley, where in fairness we had played with 9 men for over half an hour.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:27:06 »

But straight at his body, it would have been easier just to gather to his chest rather than get his hands in a muddle and punch into the net.

Presumably he simply misjudged it or it came quicker than the highlights do justice. He made a great point blank save later mind.

I'm never going to want LMC in.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:48:12 »

At one point in the vid, you see OB removing a staunchion from the terrace... Wovers lot ripped it out and battered a hole in the Shrivenham Road stand, and then tried to batter a way into the South Side until repelled, it was like orcs attacking Helm's Deep, Bristolians a similar visage to Sauruman's mutants.

What wasn't shown, and perhaps only replicated v Millwall in the 94/95 LC QF, were fights breaking out all over the Arkells.

I lived in Stratton at the time and later on the way home a bit pissed, climbed through the hole and sat in a dark and empty CG soaking up the eerie atmosphere, not experienced before or since.
That Millwall game was wild. Some Wall fans in the Intel got a bit of a battering. They were of a mind that they could sit where they chose at lil ‘ol Swindon. Fantastic atmosphere and that fantastic goal but Jan Aage
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:50:49 »

Crowd of 3,887 last night - very poor.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 14:01:36 »

Surely not?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 14:20:32 »

So I was told my a member of the London reds. No idea where he got the info from tbh, so could be bull.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #344 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 14:21:15 »

Source?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: