Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1990762 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #6705 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:43:13 »

So do we stick with Hunt, who knows the squad, would probably jump at the chance, but would have to work without Wellens and Wright, most likely, and not have Jewell at DOF.

Or do we take advantage of a market where more experienced out of work managers may be more willing than usual to drop to League One level, for less money, but would have to work with a squad that they haven’t built, and are unlikely to get to shape it until next summer?

Keep Hunt and as many others as continuity and the good cop. Bring in a new man who’s happy to have his number two picked for him.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6706 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:44:31 »

I guess we’ll know for sure today if he’s asked the question and responds ‘I’m only concentrating on STFC at the moment and this evening’s game. I don’t respond to rumours’.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6707 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:47:10 »

I guess we’ll know for sure today if he’s asked the question and responds ‘I’m only concentrating on STFC at the moment and this evening’s game. I don’t respond to rumours’.
Not sure what you think that will prove? That's a standard "straight bat" answer from any manager at any club not wanting to have talk distracted from the job in hand.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6708 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:49:09 »

Well, he’d have an opportunity to put the rumour to bed for a start. ‘I’m not going to Salford’ would do it.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #6709 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:54:47 »

Hasn't he already come out and said something of sililar ilk?

At the moment, these are just rumor's with no substantial source quotes.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #6710 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:55:03 »

Well, he’d have an opportunity to put the rumour to bed for a start. ‘I’m not going to Salford’ would do it.

Indeed. Not exactly reassuring.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6711 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:10:50 »

Hasn't he already come out and said something of sililar ilk?

Not directly IIRC.

I think he talked about not questioning his loyalty to stfc
Not sure if that was before or after his talk of admiration of Salford.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/18796026.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-say-rumours-linking-vacant-salford-city-job/
He said: “I think I’ve proved my loyalty to Swindon in the past, so I don’t think I need to prove any kind of loyalty.

“Salford is a football club that’s owned by a group of people that I watched growing up as a Manchester United fan.

“They back their managers unbelievably, and whoever goes into that position will have an opportunity to do well because they will be given the finances and backing to be successful.

“So I don’t think my loyalty to this club should ever be put into question.”

IMO that can be taken one of two way
 1. I've been loyal in the past, and will continue to do so
 2. I've been loyal in the past and so have repaid the faith shown in me.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:14:37 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6712 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:39:54 »

“Salford is a football club that’s owned by a group of people that I watched growing up as a Manchester United fan.

“They back their managers unbelievably, and whoever goes into that position will have an opportunity to do well because they will be given the finances and backing to be successful."

Watched growing up - they are only a few years older than him, hardly his childhood hero's!

I am not sure Alexander will agree about them backing their managers unbelievably, and as for finances whilst they spunked some cash on players a few years back their present squad looks very similar to ours last season with a mix of journeyman, youngsters and flyers!  

Looks like he is lining things up to bugger off and if so that's life and we move on, we have lost managers before we will lose them again.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:41:43 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6713 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:41:28 »

A nothing football club sandwiched between 2 football giants.
Crowds are non league standard. Even Oldham and Dale at least have some history.
Wellens could and should be aiming higher than Salford.
Clearly money and moving close to home with the Covid restrictions could be tempting though.

Fleetwood Town who I think are a similar size of club to Salford were in the Conference North 10 years ago and it could be argued that they are probably a better prospect than us currently for taking that next step into the Championship.

I genuinely think Wellens will be giving this job a serious think, but hopefully he'll choose to stay here.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6714 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:46:17 »

Fleetwood Town who I think are a similar size of club to Salford were in the Conference North 10 years ago and it could be argued that they are probably a better prospect than us currently for taking that next step into the Championship.

Much as with Salford wealthy local owner prepared to spend a few quid to improve local reputation and massage their ego. Problem is always going to be sustainability if said ego is burst or another play thing emerges, looking at the bollocks the Fleetwood owner was spouting around the election time last year I don't think he will be there long term.

Whatever one says about Power (And one can say a lot) his investment does seem to be based upon building some sort of foundations and one small benefit I see if that he seems willing to continue to prime the pump so he doesn't lose what he has put in so far.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6715 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:50:08 »

I genuinely think Wellens will be giving this job a serious think, but hopefully he'll choose to stay here.
So they’ve had nothing but success for 10 years and still can’t drag in more than a couple of thousand fans.

I might be old fashioned but just what is the point of these hobby clubs - Fleetwood, FGR, Salford etc.

Flashheart

« Reply #6716 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:52:22 »

So they’ve had nothing but success for 10 years and still can’t drag in more than a couple of thousand fans.

I might be old fashioned but just what is the point of these hobby clubs - Fleetwood, FGR, Salford etc.

I think some of them have grandiose plans of building the fanbase up and eventually seeing 50,000+ packing in every week.

Doesn't work like that, though. 
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6717 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 09:53:48 »

If they suddenly started getting 5-6k no doubt the fans would be called gloryhunters, plastic, etc

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6718 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 10:02:17 »

If they suddenly started getting 5-6k no doubt the fans would be called gloryhunters, plastic, etc
But that’s the point. None of them are ever going to get 5-6k fans - never, never, never.

What a great New Year’s Day win that was at Plymouth. Great atmosphere 1500 Town fans all celebrating. Wellens ain’t going to get what is, essentially, the point of being involved in football, at Salford.

If he’s interested in the extra money and being nearer family - a la Doyle - then fair enough, but he dare not come out and say the move was for footballing reasons. That’s bullshit.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6719 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 10:07:42 »

I think some of them have grandiose plans of building the fanbase up and eventually seeing 50,000+ packing in every week.

Doesn't work like that, though. 

It worked for Boremuff. Oh wait.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: