Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1990777 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3660 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 07:55:10 »

I agree to a certain point, I think credentials wise Giggs has the attributes that SHOULD make him a good manager.

But....I can't off the top of my head think of any recently retired ex players that have made the jump from playing at the top level straight into managing at that highest level, which is essentially what Giggs would be doing.

I think he would be more suited to look a little further down the leagues as most up coming managers do and not be dropped in at the very deep end.

Earn the right to manage at that level rather than applying based on your playing experience and year or 2 of being an assistant (albeit it to a very successful manager) its a big step up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3661 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 08:34:27 »

Think you're spot on there PV. FWIW, I reckon Giggs will make a decent manager in time (albeit based on little more than a feeling as none of us have any evidence to back that up with), but at least put in the time lower down the pyramid, earn your stripes, make your mistakes in an environment where you're more likely to get away from them, then look to push higher up when you've got some experience of managing under your belt.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3662 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 09:02:33 »

Think you're spot on there PV. FWIW, I reckon Giggs will make a decent manager in time (albeit based on little more than a feeling as none of us have any evidence to back that up with), but at least put in the time lower down the pyramid, earn your stripes, make your mistakes in an environment where you're more likely to get away from them, then look to push higher up when you've got some experience of managing under your belt.

Yeah like Teddy Sheringham and Chris Sutton. I'm not sure I can think of one player from the nose in the trough Prem years, who's gone on to make a decent boss.  Meaning proper nose in the trough stuff not someone who might have had the odd season, but mostly lower Div.

I'm sure there must be some, can't think of any though.  Reason being, they don't need the work financially....much easier to buy a property portfolio and sit on your arse. If after a while they get bored with that so have a little dabble, it tends to be half cocked. James Beattie showed a bit of promise at Accrington, I read an article about him; he basically felt he was doing Accy a favour, driving up from his very nice South Coast place to coach a bunch of hoofers on a cabbage patch. All a bit beneath him really. No wonder he failed.

Nigel was at Burton for years, he liked it as it was part time, he could sit in his Dales' farmhouse, looking after the kids, while the missus was out at work. Eventually when it got serious he had a go at moving up the ladder without noticable success.

I'd be amazed if Giggs ever makes a decent boss, he doesn't seem to have any of the necessary credentials to me. Fair play to his mate Gary Neville for at least fronting up and having a left field go at Valencia, but predictably completely out of his depth.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 09:04:12 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3663 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 09:35:31 »

You may be right Reg, and that comfort zone thing wasn't something I'd really thought of tbh. Although I think Neville at Valencia is more an example of the problem I was complaining about - ex-players being slung in at the top end of the game without earning their stripes lower down
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3664 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 09:46:55 »

You may be right Reg, and that comfort zone thing wasn't something I'd really thought of tbh. Although I think Neville at Valencia is more an example of the problem I was complaining about - ex-players being slung in at the top end of the game without earning their stripes lower down

You probably need to go back to the pre Prem days of Kenny Dalglish, to find that working.  One of the reasons that Prem clubs are so keen on B teams isn't just to do with players, it's as much to do with managers.

If you've a top end player who you think might have something, then he gets the B team, to do some learning.  Guardiola and Enrique both did Barca B.....further Zidane had Castilla (Real B).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3665 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 09:50:05 »

You probably need to go back to the pre Prem days of Kenny Dalglish, to find that working.  One of the reasons that Prem clubs are so keen on B teams isn't just to do with players, it's as much to do with managers.

If you've a top end player who you think might have something, then he gets the B team, to do some learning.  Guardiola and Enrique both did Barca B.....further Zidane had Castilla (Real B).
Well that's the same model, no need for B teams is there? You say to promising player X "Off you sod, learn your trade at Port Vale, we'll keep an eye on you and if we like what we see then we'll ask you back in in a few years' time"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3666 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 10:12:54 »

Well that's the same model, no need for B teams is there? You say to promising player X "Off you sod, learn your trade at Port Vale, we'll keep an eye on you and if we like what we see then we'll ask you back in in a few years' time"

Agree to an extent.  It could work that way, but presumably the advantage which B teams have is better control.  I don't know if they have any sort of academic structures in there, but wouldn't be surprised.

We missed a trick back in the 90's.....should have set up an arrangement with Spurs and the Univ of Bath
Flashheart

« Reply #3667 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 11:33:37 »

Paul Trollope has been sacked then.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3668 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 11:41:17 »

Paul Trollope has been sacked then.
Thats not a surprise really, they have been terrible this season.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3669 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 11:51:51 »

Thats not a surprise really, they have been terrible this season.

None whatsoever....as I said t'other day, would fit the bill as Luke's replacement. Luke shouldn't be sacked on the back of tonight, but I feel defeat to Bolton should be the end.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3670 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:05:01 »

You could be right, but I feel it will take defeat tonight and defeat to Bolton for Power to even consider it as Power admitted he pre game vs Chelsea that he wants us to try and win this competition as there is some good money to be made from a Wembley visit so I think he counts tonights game even if many Town fans don't.

Although I don't think he will leave us he will possibly have a new man above him as manager while he reverts to his head coach role.

If indeed any manager would want such a role as occupied by Cooper previously.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3671 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:10:40 »

If indeed any manager would want such a role as occupied by Cooper previously.

Why not, seemed a win win when Cooper was in position, when we were doing well it was because he was a great manager, when the wheels fell off it was not his fault as tactics and players were imposed on him and a large part of the fan base accepted it and thought he was like a lower league Guardiola.
Panda Paws

« Reply #3672 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:13:14 »

Williams isn't going anywhere. The only that might happen is for someone to come in above him. That won't be Trollope, who is much more in the Williams mould of coach than manager.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3673 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:17:39 »

Why not, seemed a win win when Cooper was in position, when we were doing well it was because he was a great manager, when the wheels fell off it was not his fault as tactics and players were imposed on him and a large part of the fan base accepted it and thought he was like a lower league Guardiola.
Not every manager likes having his hands tied with a Director of Football, which in essence Power is, it would have to be somebody comfortable with that format.

dogs

Ignore
« Reply #3674 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:21:18 »

Would love it if an experienced head like Warnock came in on a short term deal. Would be what we need at this moment in time.

Near zero chance of that happening - bar he wants something close to his home in the South West. He'll probably end up at Cardiff.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: