Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1990446 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3090 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 16:31:29 »

Don't think anyone's denying that Barcelona or Real Madrid are way ahead of the Premiership, but how would the next tier fair? Athletico would probably do very well, but Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal? Difficult to say.

It's like comparing chalk and cheese. 

The Prem, because all clubs get a big wedge, produces a certain style of play, namely use athletes, playing in a safety first style, because relegation is so costly.

This produces a number of mediocre sides, coached by a Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew, Tony Pulis type, who will keep you up.

This physical football is popular with many people

In Spain, it's different relegation isn't so costly, therefore the lesser clubs tend to be more adventurous, try and play largely with skill based often small players.

Spain's problem, is now a very steady drain of talent to England, including the Championship, which make it difficult in the tier under the giants to hang on to players, and means often having to rebuild sides each season.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3091 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 16:37:17 »

Spain's problem, is now a very steady drain of talent to England, including the Championship, which make it difficult in the tier under the giants to hang on to players, and means often having to rebuild sides each season.

Given our owner's model, maybe he'll be looking to Spain next time we need a manager.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3092 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 16:49:12 »

Given our owner's model, maybe he'll be looking to Spain next time we need a manager.

I wouldn't mind Paco Jemez of Rayo, they play a mad kamikaze style of playing out from the back, attacking football, often get caught out, but it's fun to watch.

Brentford were reputed to be after Jemez back in the summer, he deserves better.
SuperBosnian

« Reply #3093 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 17:18:19 »

La Liga is way better than the Premier League, just have a look at how their teams have done in Europe over the past 10 years compared to ours...

Ignore
« Reply #3094 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 17:30:58 »

I would argue that they do better as they have it easier in their domestic league. Yeah you still get upsets but games are played at a more intense pace here and there are less easy games in the premier league. The gap between top and bottom is closer here.

There is some utter dross in Spain, Italy and Germany.
The best individual teams in Europe are better than here but I don't think their leagues are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing the British way either. It's the fascination with the foreign game and trying to mimic them that is much of the problem with football here. At least with our national team imo. We just cannot do it so shouldn't try to.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 17:36:21 by Arriba » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3095 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 17:51:00 »

I would argue that they do better as they have it easier in their domestic league. Yeah you still get upsets but games are played at a more intense pace here and there are less easy games in the premier league. The gap between top and bottom is closer here.

The best individual teams in Europe are better than here but I don't think their leagues are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing the British way either. It's the fascination with the foreign game and trying to mimic them that is much of the problem with football here. At least with our national team imo. We just cannot do it so shouldn't try to.

As you say a more intense pace.....some people equate that as "good", some of us prefer a more thoughtful game, with a bit of subtlety.

Before the Spain v England friendly, Del Bosque, was asked what he thought of the English style, he answered that it doesn't exist any more.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #3096 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 18:25:03 »

La Liga is way better than the Premier League, just have a look at how their teams have done in Europe over the past 10 years compared to ours...

When you say better I guess you mean technical ability? The premier league is still the most exciting in the world with probably the Championship just behind
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #3097 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 18:43:25 »

When you say better I guess you mean technical ability? The premier league is still the most exciting in the world with probably the Championship just behind
It's only exciting because Sky tell you it's exciting....
I find nothing exciting about watching say a Stoke Versus Sunderland or Swansea versus West Ham on a Monday night and the same can be said for about 80% of the other games. Sky just hype everything with their 'best league in the world' shit and get people believing it.
The fact that Man United, a team that are barely able to score a goal are challenging for the title sums up the lack of overall quality in the league, it's just the majority of the other teams are barely able to grasp concept of defending.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #3098 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 18:50:39 »

.....and even more in France.

Ignore
« Reply #3099 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 20:08:12 »

Yep and Holland too for that matter.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3100 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 20:34:57 »

I would argue that the Championship is more exciting than the Premier League.

SuperBosnian

« Reply #3101 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 05:59:07 »

I watch more European football than Premier League football.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3102 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 06:33:59 »

I think most leagues have their merits and faults. I've attended woeful games in the Prem, Chanpionship, L1, L2, Conference, Southern League,, Bundesliga, La Liga, SPL, MLS and one day hope I get the opportunity to watch more woeful games around the world in hope of witnessing a classic game instead.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3103 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 19:53:46 »

Jimmy Floyd gets the QPR gig
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #3104 on: Friday, December 4, 2015, 01:28:02 »

I saw Niort in their one and only season in Ligue 1, 10 or 15k there, bars on all 4 corners, great atmosphere.

A few years later, saw them again. Couple of leagues down, 200 there, total apathy...but there was still a bar. The football was rubbish. Allez Les Chamois!

Spanish football is far, far better, even in the regional divisions, even with artificial pitches. Except in Galicia, in the winter.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: