Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1252733 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #3825 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 00:03:09 »

Ninja Cheerleaders was, as expected, wank. Which incidentally, is what I did instead.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #3826 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 09:28:07 »

Saw Jackass 3D on Friday. It was every bit as hilarious as I imagined it would be.

Also watched Barton Fink, which left me a little confused.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Barry Scott

« Reply #3827 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:22:11 »

I fancied watching a film tonight but didnt know which one so i used this thread to help make my decision. This was a fantastic choice, and accompanied with a bottle of Chianti classico 2005, it made for a pleasent evening. like many films though, it misses so many details from the book.

Looked good on my new tv though, well happy with that  Smiley

I've read the book, which is superb, and that is the only real reason why I've yet to watch the films, well that and the films being possibly wank in comparison. (I even have the trilogy...)

I remember watching The Firm some years back after being told it was good. The Firm is one of the best books I've read and I thought the film was a real let down, so tend to have little enthusiasm, beyond Harry Potter, for watching films based on books.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3828 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:27:22 »

I remember watching The Firm some years back after being told it was good. The Firm is one of the best books I've read and I thought the film was a real let down, so tend to have little enthusiasm, beyond Harry Potter, for watching films based on books.

The Grisham one? The book is superb, but the film misses out so much of what made the book good it could be a completely different story.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #3829 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:28:14 »

Watched An American Werewolf in London last night.

Very good film. Keep clear of the moors!

[url width=276 height=182]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:fEIn92aaM_oP1M:http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIzMDE2Mjg2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjQyOTc3._V1._SX500_SY330_.jpg&t=1[/url]
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #3830 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:33:17 »

Also watched Barton Fink, which left me a little confused.

Agreed. It isn't one of the Coen's more accessible films.
Barry Scott

« Reply #3831 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:38:46 »

The Grisham one? The book is superb, but the film misses out so much of what made the book good it could be a completely different story.

Yeah, the Grisham one. The amount missed out is shocking. I remember the film ending and thinking that they're only about half way through the book!

It's the same with The Runaway Jury. I read that and loved it - although many say it's very slow - and then watched the film and was annoyed by how they changed the subject matter from fags to guns and ruined all the clever little twists.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #3832 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10:57:05 »

Agreed. It isn't one of the Coen's more accessible films.

Everyone makes the coens out to be some sort of superstar geniuses, thats bollocks. Most of their films are written by the family guy manatees. Pretensious claptrap for people to 'get' just to seem better than other people

Things get better but they never get good
Rich Pullen

« Reply #3833 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 11:31:26 »

It's all subject to opinion and I can see why people would struggle to enjoy many Coen efforts. However, I would have to disagree with STFC dave on this one. They provide a much needed cinematic breath of fresh air the overwhelming majority of the time. Some of their stuff is mainstream and nowhere near pretentious either/

Blood Simple = Brilliant.
Raising Arizona = Very Good.
Miller's Crossing = Brilliant.
Barton Fink = Very Good.
The Hudsucker Proxy = Tanked but I loved it.
Fargo = Brilliant
The Big Lebowski = Brilliant
O, Brother Where Art Thous = Brilliant.
The Man Who Wasn't There = Very Good.

After that it's hit and miss. The Ladykillers was poor and I didn't like Intolerable Cruelty. No Country For Old Men was a return to form but Burn After Reading was so/so. A Serious Man was alright too.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 11:33:09 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #3834 on: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 11:34:30 »

I really enjoyed Burn After Reading. I thought it was really funny. Big Lebowski is a favourite aswell.

I just didn't expect Barton Fink to end when it did.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
flammableBen

« Reply #3835 on: Monday, November 8, 2010, 03:18:13 »

Just randomly caught the wonderfully charming Offside on Film4.

Brilliant stuff, definitely recommended if you can put up with subtitles.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3836 on: Monday, November 8, 2010, 06:09:02 »

It's all subject to opinion and I can see why people would struggle to enjoy many Coen efforts. However, I would have to disagree with STFC dave on this one. They provide a much needed cinematic breath of fresh air the overwhelming majority of the time. Some of their stuff is mainstream and nowhere near pretentious either/

Blood Simple = Brilliant.
Raising Arizona = Very Good.
Miller's Crossing = Brilliant.
Barton Fink = Very Good.
The Hudsucker Proxy = Tanked but I loved it.
Fargo = Brilliant
The Big Lebowski = Brilliant
O, Brother Where Art Thous = Brilliant.
The Man Who Wasn't There = Very Good.

After that it's hit and miss. The Ladykillers was poor and I didn't like Intolerable Cruelty. No Country For Old Men was a return to form but Burn After Reading was so/so. A Serious Man was alright too.
wot he sed
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3837 on: Monday, November 8, 2010, 14:35:01 »

Fargo is an absolute classic - one of my favourites.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #3838 on: Monday, November 8, 2010, 14:42:31 »

Saw Paranormal Activity 2 on Saturday night, Predictibly the same as the first one really in terms of format etc. Was a decent enough film, Wouldn't say anything really surprised me but you know for sure that there will be a third,
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3839 on: Monday, November 8, 2010, 23:33:27 »

Saw Paranormal Activity 2 on Saturday night, Predictibly the same as the first one really in terms of format etc. Was a decent enough film, Wouldn't say anything really surprised me but you know for sure that there will be a third,

The third one is going to be filmed at Fred's place.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: