Pages: 1 ... 871 872 873 [874] 875 876 877 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022621 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13095 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 14:56:25 »

Value for money Cheesy

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13096 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 15:06:29 »

The £2,650 I'm going to have to shell out suggests otherwise  Crash
I think they've only managed 1 bin collection on the right day since Xmas. Crap service.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13097 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 15:14:32 »

You’re lucky mine will be £3000 Woot Jumping

So, give no fucks
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13098 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 15:47:23 »

It’s because people have spent the past 14 years voting for a government which has systemically cut funding to local councils leaving them unable to offer the bare essential services hth

Things get better but they never get good
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13099 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:15:32 »

Going to be very interesting to see how different the next government will be and how much better off we will all be. (I suspect it will be like going from Power to Morfuni)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13100 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:26:37 »

Let’s be honest. I’ve been through a whole host of governments of either Labour or,  mostly, Tory. There’s no fucking difference as far as my life has been. There’s no way I’ll vote Tory but Labour shouldn’t just get my vote on the basis they’re not the Tories.

Big dilemma for many people - who can you vote for that’ll actually make a difference? None of them is the sorry answer. They’ve all been corrupted.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13101 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:27:28 »

It’s because people have spent the past 14 years voting for a government which has systemically cut funding to local councils leaving them unable to offer the bare essential services hth

No shit 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13102 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:28:37 »

Let’s be honest. I’ve been through a whole host of governments of either Labour or,  mostly, Tory. There’s no fucking difference as far as my life has been. There’s no way I’ll vote Tory but Labour shouldn’t just get my vote on the basis they’re not the Tories.

I hear this a lot and I'm always a bit confused by it. Things were miles fucking better between 1997-2010 domestically weren't they? There are definitely huge things to dislike over Blair's foreign policy and a bit about how investment was funded/PFI, but public services worked a billion times better than they do now for the most part. People seem to act like public services have been falling apart for decades, but they really, really weren't until Osborne cut funding to everything.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13103 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:28:43 »

Big dilemma for many people - who can you vote for that’ll actually make a difference? None of them is the sorry answer. They’ve all been corrupted.

There's no difference when either are in power, but let the right and the left argue the toss about who is better  Wink
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13104 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:29:43 »

I hear this a lot and I'm always a bit confused by it. Things were miles fucking better between 1997-2010 domestically weren't they? There are definitely huge things to dislike over Blair's foreign policy and a bit about how investment was funded/PFI, but public services worked a billion times better than they do now for the most part. People seem to act like public services have been falling apart for decades, but they really, really weren't until Osborne cut funding to everything.

Quite possibly down to the global position as a whole?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13105 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:32:53 »

But didn't he do that because he inherited a massive debt?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13106 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:35:11 »

Things, generally, were miles better years ago. Always been the case. Things are just steadily declining year on year. Not just services or living standards but everything. Nothing has changed for the better.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13107 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:38:26 »

But didn't he do that because he inherited a massive debt?

That was certainly his argument for austerity, yes. Here's a nice chart of UK debt to GDP (which is probably more useful for historic comparison than the debt number):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/282841/debt-as-gdp-uk/

Probably not a surprise that the peak after WW2 dwarfs anything else. There is a jump around the credit crunch 2008/9ish, which I guess is the "massive debt" but they certainly haven't made it better whilst also making all the things you spend debt on significantly worse. Covid also an external shock and lead to a further jump, I'm not going to blame Tory economics for Covid happening, that has hit everywhere, but they basically spent 2011-2020 not even trying to grow the economy.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13108 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:39:36 »

Agree with that last point Nemo.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13109 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:40:51 »

The country is like a football club that's been Asset stripped.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 873 [874] 875 876 877 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: