Pages: 1 ... 714 715 716 [717] 718 719 720 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022125 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10740 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 23:07:35 »

buy British like we used to do 🤣. we are largely a service economy now, you're kidding yourself

Yes but we can always go back to the "good old days" when TB was rife, paedos in high stature roles ran the show, and there were zero regulations on anything produced here.

We could go back to that. Bit outdated mind and I'd rather not. I'd rather we didn't leave the EU but that's been fucked up. We won't get back in during my lifetime.

The fact that this excuse for a Government are still having talks this late, only three weeks before the transition period ends is fucking laughable. It also shows how the lazy, can't be arsed attitude of BoJo is being shown for what it is. No doubt he thinks that trying to knob  Von der Leyen after Dinner will be the solution.

Sweet reason my fucking arse.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #10741 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 23:09:46 »

Yes but we can always go back to the "good old days" when TB was rife, paedos in high stature roles ran the show, and there were zero regulations on anything produced here.

We could go back to that. Bit outdated mind and I'd rather not. I'd rather we didn't leave the EU but that's been fucked up. We won't get back in during my lifetime.

The fact that this excuse for a Government are still having talks this late, only three weeks before the transition period ends is fucking laughable. It also shows how the lazy, can't be arsed attitude of BoJo is being shown for what it is. No doubt he thinks that trying to knob  Von der Leyen after Dinner will be the solution.

Sweet reason my fucking arse.

You really are seriously deluded. We have completed multiple FTAs with other countries - the reason we haven’t with the EU is that they simply cannot accept we are a sovereign country. No other FTA we have signed has demanded control over our waters/ level playing field rules to the extent the EU are demanding
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10742 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 23:21:34 »

We are only asking to be treated the same as Canada for example which the EU refuse to do. This isn’t about trade at all it is about maintaining their “club” as they’re terrified we will be a success and others will follow suit.

Bring on no deal we will thrive and prosper

Apologies but your mindset is totally deluded and akin to a child throwing toys out of a pram. We as a member (collectively) chose to leave the EU. The EU at one point yes, would have liked us to retain membership but they are far from terrified. If I were the head of the EU and saw the way the UK Government has behaved, I'd laugh at how shit they are and what a laughing stock the UK has become. They aren't fussed if the UK stays any more.

Again, I have no idea why you are complaining about the whole situation if No Deal is what you desire?!

But please do explain in your certainty, how the hell the UK WILL thrive and prosper? Because without agreeing to trade deals (anywhere in the world) then to access them ad hoc, will always come at a price. Although according to John Barron, it won't matter if prices of foods go up etc. Tell that to the public - many of which can't afford to pay for their groceries or heat their homes as it is. That knock on will impact negatively upon thousands, no millions of people in the UK. That could include people right here on the TEF.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10743 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 23:30:08 »

You really are seriously deluded. We have completed multiple FTAs with other countries - the reason we haven’t with the EU is that they simply cannot accept we are a sovereign country. No other FTA we have signed has demanded control over our waters/ level playing field rules to the extent the EU are demanding

You need to learn to quote properly. Also that response was to Batch.

I'm quite aware the UK have (not we) completed FTAs with other countries. One problem, this happens to be the largest single market in the world. I think your idea of "sovereignty" is outdated. As Ardiles says, the UK can keep as much of that as they want but that then comes with restrictions.  Like I say if you want part of the largest cake then your name has to be on the list - otherwise feel free to scratch around for crumbs (smaller FTAs).

But again, you are getting what you voted for - and a blue fucking passport. Woop!

'Incessant Nonsense'

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10744 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 23:50:21 »

We are only asking to be treated the same as Canada for example which the EU refuse to do. This isn’t about trade at all it is about maintaining their “club” as they’re terrified we will be a success and others will follow suit.

Bring on no deal we will thrive and prosper

The idea that we're going to be offered similar terms to Canada (for example) is a bit naive.  Canada is thousands of miles away, has an economy half the size of ours and, as a result of these factors, has far less trade with the EU than we do.  So alignment is much more of a priority for the EU with us than it was with Canada.  I'm really surprised that so many Brexit supporters seem not to recognise this.

As for thriving and prospering without a trade deal with the mega-economy next door, I'm very doubtful.  We are going to have to copy their rules & regs anyway just to get by.  We're always going to be in the EU's orbit, whether we're a member or not.  In time, we'll end up aligning anyway, one way or another.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 00:10:45 by Ardiles » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10745 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:03:59 »

Really? Have you done the maths? They have a 100bn trade surplus with us they sell far more to us than us to them. Bring in tariffs we will be better off or we could buy from elsewhere
exactly, according to this, we import more than we export

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/

we are reliant on the EU, they have more to lose as a whole but it's spread over multiple countries. thinking we can just replace that easily is folly

not that it matters, both ways will get shafted under no deal. that'll hurt us more. we can't spread the cost like the EU
------
of course they are playing hardball. they are protecting the EU and discouraging leaving it.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #10746 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:11:58 »

But things were so great in the 'olden days' before the EU, they will be again won't they?

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #10747 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:19:12 »

Putting aside the fact that losses to the EU are spread over many countries...

Let's say I have a business deal with a mate that makes me 1K/month.
His part of the deal makes him 3k/month.

He would lose more than me from stopping the deal but I would also lose out, so I don't want the deal to be cancelled. With that in mind, I try and ensure the deal carries on.

OF COURSE the EU doesn't want a no deal. They've made that quite clear from the offset. They don't want to lose out - why would they?.

But it does not mean to say that they need it more so than we do. Them trying to stop it does not make them more desperate than we are.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10748 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:33:46 »

But things were so great in the 'olden days' before the EU, they will be again won't they?

Absolutely. Bring on Polio and lard sandwhiches
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10749 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:39:21 »

And the EU are in it for love are they?

It’s one big protection racket- trying to get us to sign up to regulatory alignment to the level not seen n any other FTA around the world. And to make it even worse the rule would only work one way.

If we were so insignificant they wouldn’t be still trying to control us. They want access to our market then they have to respect our sovereignty

Nice to see you taking an interest again. Now you're here, could you answer the question that so far no-one seems to be able or willing to answer. What are the tangible, concrete benefts of Brexit? i.e. not flag-waving rhetoric, not vague generalisations, but actual concrete "This facet of life will be better for the ordinary British citizen from Jan 1st 2021"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10750 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:43:16 »

I think our position and standing in the rest of the EU has been proven over the last few years, and the way we are being dealt with.
Wholly agree that our position and standing in the the EU has absolutely nosedived over the last few years, entirely due to the our govt proving itself to be incompetent and untrustworthy to the extent that they are prepared to break international law. That will tend to downgrade a country's stock somewhat. That aside, what precisely is it about the "way we are being dealt with" that you object to? An actual example of such ill-treatment?
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #10751 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:55:39 »

Putting aside the fact that losses to the EU are spread over many countries...

Let's say I have a business deal with a mate that makes me 1K/month.
His part of the deal makes him 3k/month.

He would lose more than me from stopping the deal but I would also lose out, so I don't want the deal to be cancelled. With that in mind, I try and ensure the deal carries on.

OF COURSE the EU doesn't want a no deal. They've made that quite clear from the offset. They don't want to lose out - why would they?.

But it does not mean to say that they need it more so than we do. Them trying to stop it does not make them more desperate than we are.

Which is why our only real available tactic is to look like we're completely mental, a bit like Nixon's madman theory. Fair play to this government, they've gone to some pretty extreme lengths to make themselves look incompetent, irrational, and insane.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10752 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:59:44 »

Wholly agree that our position and standing in the the EU has absolutely nosedived over the last few years, entirely due to the our govt proving itself to be incompetent and untrustworthy to the extent that they are prepared to break international law. That will tend to downgrade a country's stock somewhat. That aside, what precisely is it about the "way we are being dealt with" that you object to? An actual example of such ill-treatment?

Don't you ever watch Eurovision?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10753 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:01:20 »

they've gone to some pretty extreme lengths to make themselves look incompetent, irrational, and insane.

Or its completely natural.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10754 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:11:37 »

I'm quite looking forward to driving about in my new Austin Maxi in 2021!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 716 [717] 718 719 720 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: