Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 [635] 636 637 638 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022605 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9510 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 22:28:37 »

I'm a hidden user. Can you still see my posts (unfortunately or not) here?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #9511 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 00:31:01 »

That's the point though. I can see this post but is that because you have let me? Perhaps your nefarious hidden user business is beyond my comprehension ie. Way above my pay grade.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9512 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 01:24:36 »

LL - You been on the Buckfast again?

Grospot - The "hidden" function doesn't allow the user to do that. I was toying with you. All it does, to my knowledge is just allow a user to be here without visibility. Different users will have different reasons as to why they choose to be.

More regular posters might want to just read without communicating. If they were "online", that could prompt someone to contact them, "hidden" gives them piece of mind I suppose.

Some may use it because they are always here and don't want others to know that they are.

Others it could be for work or family reasons.

What definitely isn't the case, is it isn't for/can't be used for anything sinister. Well I can't think of how they could. It's purely for an individuals personal privacy and I think ultimately, that should be respected.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9513 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 07:22:54 »

However I have seen the militant far left at work in Swindon first hand (Red Robbo?) and can assure you it was so bad it was really scary.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I can think of a few instances that are interesting. My late old chap an immigrant always voted labour, back in the day it was expected of ‘working class people’. Thankfully working at pressed Steel for decades and watching all the shit flying from the unions and unsavoury individuals he realised that voting conservative for the first time in ‘79 was the way forward and he never looked back. He bought his council house much to consternation of his neighbour who used to be really big in the local Labour Party in the days of Stoddard. Roll on a few years or so when house prices were on the up, low and behold Mr. Labour bigwig did the same. By eck, if you can’t beat them fucking join them and fill your boots. I have a very very good acquaintance who was also big in the local Labour Party going on flying picket duty and rallies. Told about some really nasty militant tendency shit that makes my skin crawl. Low and behold he does not give a stuff about labour now, unelectable shower and completely out of touch with their core support, which would have been people like my late father and me interestingly enough, though you know how that worked out. Labour the victim party, except those up the top end of the pile playing lip service to those they keep saying are down trodden, oppressed etc and promising to make it good for them at others peoples expense, except they don’t and have not as I see it. Clearly a fuck load of their core support saw it too at the election and back in 2016 with the Brexit vote. Still likely to rinse and repeat going forward. Hey ho.

Cool story bro  Too Cool
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9514 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:45:10 »

That's the point though. I can see this post but is that because you have let me? Perhaps your nefarious hidden user business is beyond my comprehension ie. Way above my pay grade.
It just indicates whether you show up in the logged in user's list on the front page. That's it. End of. Stop being ridiculous.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9515 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:48:36 »

Its all get a bit tin foily this morning.....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9516 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:50:11 »

Its all get a bit tin foily this morning.....
Surprising that given some of the recent contributors on the thread....
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #9517 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:10:29 »

Ok pauld. Just to get this clear in my mind hidden user status serves no purpose at all other than to enable members to log in but not to show on logged in list? What a fucking waste of time that is then and casts doubt on hidden users sanity. How can I become a hidden user?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9518 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:29:55 »

How can I become a hidden user?

Avoid coming here anymore?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9519 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:33:10 »

Ok pauld. Just to get this clear in my mind hidden user status serves no purpose at all other than to enable members to log in but not to show on logged in list? What a fucking waste of time that is then and casts doubt on hidden users sanity. How can I become a hidden user?
I always thought a hidden user was a forum member just lurking, Reading the forum but just not logged on.

I only log on to post but regularly lurk.
Flashheart

« Reply #9520 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:34:51 »

I always thought a hidden user was a forum member just lurking, Reading the forum but just not logged on.

Those are guests.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9521 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:44:42 »

It's in your account profile settings somewhere I think, although surprised you're asking given "it's a fucking waste of time" and "casts doubt on hidden users sanity". You don't need to anyway, your posts do that for you Smiley
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9522 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 14:46:32 »

It's in your account profile settings somewhere I think, although surprised you're asking given "it's a fucking waste of time" and "casts doubt on hidden users sanity". You don't need to anyway, your posts do that for you Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #9523 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 15:00:56 »

What a fucking waste of time that is then and casts doubt on hidden users sanity. How can I become a hidden user?
Only a Tory voting Brexiteer could come up with that.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9524 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 15:05:56 »

Avoid coming here anymore?

It would be a shame to lose him in the same way that every village needs an idiot, every forum needs a right wing loon or two. There's been a vacancy since the lose of SRK.

I partiucularly like the stuff about Pressed Steel.... although not sure where Derek Robinson comes into that.  Robinson was something of a moderate, who spent much of his time trying to control some of the more radical elements at Cowley.  {Pressed Steel) Swindon was notoriously politically moderate, mainly as it had taken on a lot of ex Railwaymen, who were schooled in old GWR (BR) paternalistic values.

It used to be rumoured, although I never believed it, that the football animosity between Swindon and Headington, sprang from the failure of Swindon workers to back Cowley workers.

There used to be a few SWP and WRP types in Swindon, and I still know a veteran SWP chap, who's good fun to chat to.

The Communist Party had a more interesting presence, and used to field candidates unsuccessfully at elections... the legendary Ike Gradwell, daughter Judith carried on the hammer, and then missus Angela (nee Tuckett) the sickle.

The CP ran the Star Club in Bridge Street.... a great venue, where you could read the  Morning Star.  The advantage of the Star Club was in the week pubs closed at 10:30, the Star more flexible.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 6, 2020, 15:08:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 [635] 636 637 638 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: