Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 [581] 582 583 584 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022002 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8700 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 12:28:24 »

If turnout is going to be high, as seems to be the case, who does that favour?  I'm not completely clear on that.  I suppose the 65+ age group always turn out in numbers anyway...so maybe favours Labour/Lib Dems (who tend to attract younger voters)?

Ignore
« Reply #8701 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 12:32:17 »

If turnout is going to be high, as seems to be the case, who does that favour?  I'm not completely clear on that.  I suppose the 65+ age group always turn out in numbers anyway...so maybe favours Labour/Lib Dems (who tend to attract younger voters)?

I for one certainly hope this is the case.
Flashheart

« Reply #8702 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 12:37:41 »

It's most likely to favour labour.

Conservative voters are more likely to vote anyway so an increase in voters suggests more labour (or anti-tory) voters are doing their part. This is especially the case if a lot of the voters are young. Around 60% of people under the age of 35 are likely to vote labour (with the remaining 40% split between the parties).
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #8703 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:01:22 »

Possibly the best election poster Labour have done...

Like a lot of remainers I hate referendums, but I'd love one proposing forcibly removing from the country anyone who says they will leave and then doesn't.

Not so much the rejection of democracy as the arrogant belief that as a minor celebrity you have a meaningful influence on 30 million of your fellow citizens.  Paul Daniels was the earliest that I remember and set the bar suitably low.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #8704 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:02:51 »

My understanding is that high turnouts favour Labour but poor weather (especially since postal voting) favours the Tories.

And I'd be pleasantly surprised if there is a high turnout given the state of resigned despair in the UK.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:11:57 by Pax Romana » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8705 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:02:59 »

Think you're missing the point. The offence is not to brief journos about which way they think postal votes are going (although that may well also be an offence, IDK). The offence here is to *broadcast/publish* that information before the polls have closed. Which would be the same as publishing partial exit polls before the polls close on election day. Which no-one does for a very good reason.

But, (and I am not defending LK as she has had a mare all election) the media purdah only relates to today and this was yesterday, likewise the media have been promoting polls for bloody months and finally she didn't put any figures on it, merely said it was looking 'grim' for Labour.  I have no intention of wasting time checking back but I would be amazed if something similar didn't happen in 2010/15/17, its just that LK is being watched like a hawk this time, with a lot of people shouting foul (justifiably so at times) at every opportunity.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8706 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:06:18 »

My understanding is that high turnouts favour Labour but poor weather (especially since postal voting) favours the Tories.

Dunno what the weather down there is like, up here we voted at 9ish and it was cold and drizzly, since then it has hammered it down incessantly and is bloody baltic! Think there is snow in the NE a bit as well.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8707 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:06:43 »

I suppose one way of assessing the likely effect would be to take a look at the queues.  If they're full of oldies, it's goodbye NHS.  (Oh, the irony.)  But if it's a young looking queue, we'll get to witness a full Daily Mail meltdown tomorrow.
Flashheart

« Reply #8708 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:21:01 »

But, (and I am not defending LK as she has had a mare all election) the media purdah only relates to today and this was yesterday, likewise the media have been promoting polls for bloody months and finally she didn't put any figures on it, merely said it was looking 'grim' for Labour.

It has nothing to do with purdah. It has everything to do with not being allowed to broadcast **any** information regarding postal votes before polling has closed.

Polls are polls - not actual information on how people HAVE voted. Also, she may not have put any figures on it, but the law specifically states that people are not allowed to disseminate any information obtained (which she did). Her saying that it looks grim for labour may well discourage a lot of labour voters from voting. (which is why it is not allowed)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8709 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:50:20 »

Smiley

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foot-Labours-Diane-Abbott-appears-rushed-ODD-shoes.html
Flashheart

« Reply #8710 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 13:52:49 »

She needs to retire or something. I really think she's not well.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8711 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 14:05:14 »

It has nothing to do with purdah. It has everything to do with not being allowed to broadcast **any** information regarding postal votes before polling has closed.

Polls are polls - not actual information on how people HAVE voted. Also, she may not have put any figures on it, but the law specifically states that people are not allowed to disseminate any information obtained (which she did). Her saying that it looks grim for labour may well discourage a lot of labour voters from voting. (which is why it is not allowed)

Whatever, bar adding to the excuses pile tomorrow AM nothing of any note will happen, I cannot see her being at the BBC long term anyway and expect her to roll up as a Tory spokesperson in the not too distant.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8712 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 14:07:07 »

Good sign though....

Ignore
« Reply #8713 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 14:15:44 »

Not photoshopped? Different shade to her skin on each foot.
If genuine it's hardly surprising she maybe suffering mentally, considering the abuse she's suffered.
I do think she should step back from frontline politics for her own sake.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #8714 on: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 14:23:02 »

Not photoshopped? Different shade to her skin on each foot.
If genuine it's hardly surprising she maybe suffering mentally, considering the abuse she's suffered.
I do think she should step back from frontline politics for her own sake.
Agreed, she's is unfortunately targeted for that LBC interview last election. Unfortunately for her that seems to be her legacy instead what she has achieved as a black female politician.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 [581] 582 583 584 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: