Pages: 1 ... 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021874 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8175 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:26:02 »

tbf, it's a pretty astonishing intervention in an election campaign and so definitely newsworthy. And Radio 4's news programmes, not sure about the rest of the BBC, have certainly given Baroness Warsi extensive airtime when she has spoken out about Tory Islamophobia. I do think there have been plenty of instances of imbalanced reporting in this campaign, not sure this is one of them

There is some glorious stuff from the Corbyn faithful on social media attacking him, I note that the Archbishop of Canterbury has come out raising concerns now so no doubt the paranoia will stretch to Christians now.
Flashheart

« Reply #8176 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:30:03 »

The whole idea that Labour is now a party of anti semitism is utterly ridiculous to anyone who actually has the ability to think a bit. Problem is many don't have that ability and are easily manipulated.

And why on Earth do the same problems in the Tory party not get the same level of coverage? If anything, they are worse.

One twitter user has been told by a Tory councillor that she 'has it coming' where racist attacks are concerned because of her political views - not a peep.

I'd have no complaints if it was ALL covered equally. That would just them be doing their job. Instead, they are selective about what they do cover. Then there's the editorial 'mistakes' that they keep on making.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8177 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:32:52 »

The whole idea that Labour is now a party of anti semitism is utterly ridiculous to anyone who actually has the ability to think a bit. Problem is many don't have that ability and are easily manipulated.

Agreed, however the Party leadership need to get a lot of the faithful to wind their bloody necks in a bit as its very easy to find evidence all over social media, today being a depressing example with just about every anti-Semitic trope being easily found.

Labour also need to stop lying by keeping stating that all cases have been investigated when actually there are a load of outstanding cases.

Finally it isn't helped by the fact that for whatever reason Corbyn himself seems to have a massive blind spot in sorting it out, and arguing that he is not anti-Semitic  based upon the fact that 'Jeremy has done more for anti racist causes over the years than any other politician' just makes it look bloody worse as he has completely failed to sort this problem in his own party, which can easily thus be spun as suggesting he is against racism apart from when it affects the Jewish community.

Polling suggests that in the big scheme of things the electorate are not taking much notice of this, but bloody hell make it harder for the media to report it in a negative manner.

Flashheart

« Reply #8178 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:37:03 »

Finally it isn't helped by the fact that for whatever reason Corbyn himself seems to have a massive blind spot in sorting it out,

I think that's bollocks. Paper talk. Smears and propoganda. I don't buy it.

He has done a lot to combat antisemitism for as long as he has been a PM and is launching a campaign today to combat it (and other racism).

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8179 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:37:09 »

Agreed, however the Party leadership need to get a lot of the faithful to wind their bloody necks in a bit as its very easy to find evidence all over social media, today being a depressing example with just about every anti-Semitic trope being easily found.

Labour also need to stop lying by keeping stating that all cases have been investigated when actually there are a load of outstanding cases.

Finally it isn't helped by the fact that for whatever reason Corbyn himself seems to have a massive blind spot in sorting it out, and arguing that he is not anti-Semitic  based upon the fact that 'Jeremy has done more for anti racist causes over the years than any other politician' just makes it look bloody worse as he has completely failed to sort this problem in his own party, which can easily thus be spun as suggesting he is against racism apart from when it affects the Jewish community.

Polling suggests that in the big scheme of things the electorate are not taking much notice of this, but bloody hell make it harder for the media to report it in a negative manner.

Agree with all of this.

I completely agree that there's an imbalance between coverage of this and the Tories failings on similar issues. But that doesn't invalidate the points being raised, and quite frankly we should hold our own parties to a higher standard on such issues.

Also I'd be very wary of claiming a monopoly on thinking and immunity to manipulation... it's not a good look and one glance at Twitter suggests that every party has plenty of extremely aggressive sheep willing to follow their standard bearers.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #8180 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:40:00 »

https://www.thejc.com/news/tory-election-candidate-for-leeds-north-east-claims-british-jews-return-from-israel-as-brainwashed-extremists-1.493217

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/19/tory-candidate-suspended-alleged-anti-semitic-islamophobic-homophobic/

Yeah.....but Corbyn!!!!11111one
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8181 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:42:02 »

Agree with all of this.

I completely agree that there's an imbalance between coverage of this and the Tories failings on similar issues. But that doesn't invalidate the points being raised, and quite frankly we should hold our own parties to a higher standard on such issues.
Totally agree. "Only about as racist as the Tories" isn't a good look for Labour. Or any party (except for Farage Ltd, natch)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8182 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:44:19 »

That misses the point though. Sure, there's loads of racist Tories, wow, tell me something I don't know. But
a ) that doesn't demonstrate that the Tory Party as a whole is institutionally racist, which is what Labour is being accused of
b ) Even if it did, I'm fairly sure that "Only as racist as the Tories" isn't a slogan Labour want to be running under
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8183 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:49:52 »

So basically the argument seems to be the Labour Party is not anti-Semitic because its members/supporters don't think it is, yet at the same time its perfectly acceptable to attack and discredit the Rabbi for being bias because he thinks it is and he is Boris Johnson's mate.

I get it now, and they wonder why they still cannot attract the floating electorate....

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8184 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:51:35 »

The BBC et al are cranking up their attacks on Corbyn on alleged anti-semitism; rolling out a head Rabbi (who just happens to be friends with Boris). It also just so happens to take place on the same day that labour launches their 'race and faith' manifesto. Surely that must just be a coincidence, right? Ah well, at least soon we can expect extensive coverage from the BBC of 'Islamophobia and anti-semitism' in the Tory party to add some balance...

Meanwhile, 163 economists have put out a public statement in support of Labour's spending plans - not a peep.

I was talking about this with the wife earlier watching breakfast news. Did BJ not state in the Tory leader debate that he was going to put something in place to flush out Islamophobia in the Tory Party but implementing something or other. Did that ever happen?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

Ignore
« Reply #8185 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 11:54:43 »

Is it actually a problem within the party though? I don't think it is. It's a miniscule minority at the most. I'd wager it would be far more prevalent within the Tory party and it's supporters.
Where are and who are these anti semitic people within the Labour party?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8186 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 12:04:01 »

I was talking about this with the wife earlier watching breakfast news. Did BJ not state in the Tory leader debate that he was going to put something in place to flush out Islamophobia in the Tory Party but implementing something or other. Did that ever happen?
No. He promised it, then watered it down to a general inquiry into prejudice in the party, then kicked it into the long grass. Probably permanently. A bit like the report on Russian interference in British politics. Because he's likely to be named as the major offender in both.
Flashheart

« Reply #8187 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 12:04:21 »

We are TOLD it's a problem, but with no real evidence asides from a relative handful of individuals making claims.

An investigation was made that showed that there is no more anti-semitism in the labour party than there is in the general population. But, still, the unsubstantiated claims somehow seem to take precedence.

Corbyn is then attacked for allegedly not dealing with a 'problem' that has not even been demonstrated to exist, despite him openly taking actions to tackle anti-semitism.

Not so long ago I was in the 'He's not an anti-semite but he's not helped himself' camp. I now believe the latter part to be bollocks.

In the meantime, here we are talking about problems in the Labour party and not in the Conservative party. The media have done a reet proper job in steering the discussion exactly where they want it to go.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8188 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 12:04:52 »

Is it actually a problem within the party though? I don't think it is. It's a miniscule minority at the most. I'd wager it would be far more prevalent within the Tory party and it's supporters.
Where are and who are these anti semitic people within the Labour party?

The is exactly the issue I have with this. To me the way its reported makes it seem that the actual party itself has a huge problem with jewish people, when in reality its probably a small handful. Right enough that's a small handful bigger than it should be, but I think its overstated.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #8189 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 12:07:51 »

That misses the point though. Sure, there's loads of racist Tories, wow, tell me something I don't know. But
a ) that doesn't demonstrate that the Tory Party as a whole is institutionally racist, which is what Labour is being accused of
b ) Even if it did, I'm fairly sure that "Only as racist as the Tories" isn't a slogan Labour want to be running under

No it doesn't, i'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that the Tories are slamming Labour for anti-semitism when it's just as much of an issue with their party, but it hardly gets a mention.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 545 [546] 547 548 549 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: