Pages: 1 ... 538 539 540 [541] 542 543 544 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022965 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8100 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 17:10:30 »

This is ominous for Labour (and everyone else).  This constituency is 45th on the Tories' target list.  If this goes as the poll says, it's game over.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1197487112515473409
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8101 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 17:37:07 »

This is ominous for Labour (and everyone else).  This constituency is 45th on the Tories' target list.  If this goes as the poll says, it's game over.

The country is fucked
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8102 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 17:43:48 »

Maybe. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Labour lose heavily in some of their "heartland" seats that voted Leave. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Tories lose out to the Liberals in some of their hinterland that voted Remain which may well counterbalance the gains they make in former Labour seats, leaving us with another hung parliament. We could well see the start of a substantial realignment of the political landscape.
Flashheart

« Reply #8103 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 18:59:12 »

A little bit of me dies whenever I look at political comments on social media.

"Where's the money come from? Thin air"

Uhm perhaps, maybe, taxes?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8104 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:06:04 »

Maybe. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Labour lose heavily in some of their "heartland" seats that voted Leave. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Tories lose out to the Liberals in some of their hinterland that voted Remain which may well counterbalance the gains they make in former Labour seats, leaving us with another hung parliament. We could well see the start of a substantial realignment of the political landscape.

The quoted link doesn't work for me, but its going to be an interesting (and potentially horrific) election.

Much has been made of Workington man as the key to this election, I know this is going to bite me on the arse, but I just cannot see them voting for the Tories up there with the whole history being based upon heavy industry which died under Thatcher, however, I can see Farage Ltd doing OK up there so who knows.

Here which is apparently a big Tory target we have had shed loads from the LD's (Farron incumbant!) but sweet FA from the Tories or Brexit.  Balanced against this Labour are making a big deal of the vote LD get Johnson, where its actually vote LAbour get Johnson!

Its good to see that Johnson is under threat (first PM to lose his seat), could IDS/Raab provide a Portillo moment?

Funny times ahead....
Flashheart

« Reply #8105 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:10:23 »

One of the anti-Corbyn/Labour media's greatest achievements in this campaign is to convince people that Labour's Brexit policy is somehow confusing.

It fucking isn't. It is very, very, very easy to understand. I can see why some people may not agree with it but it--is--not--confusing. Not even a little bit.

In convincing people that they somehow lost the ability to understand something that is (very, very) simple, it means that we don't get past that hurdle and get on to actually discussing the policy itself.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #8106 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:31:20 »

One of the anti-Corbyn/Labour media's greatest achievements in this campaign is to convince people that Labour's Brexit policy is somehow confusing.

It fucking isn't. It is very, very, very easy to understand. I can see why some people may not agree with it but it--is--not--confusing. Not even a little bit.

In convincing people that they somehow lost the ability to understand something that is (very, very) simple, it means that we don't get past that hurdle and get on to actually discussing the policy itself.

The labour position is utterly ridiculous.

They want to get a new deal but will not say whether they will campaign for it or to remain in a 2nd ref.

Any new deal they get would be awful, as the EU would have no incentive whatsoever to give them anything when they could campaign to remain.

Corbyns position is a farce- all the other leaders are at least clear in their brexit view.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8107 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:33:12 »

Now, however after 3 odd years of x contradicting y at every opportunity labour have made it incredibly easy for this narrative to become fact....

Sent from my SM-J330FN
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #8108 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:40:37 »

A little bit of me dies whenever I look at political comments on social media.

"Where's the money come from? Thin air"

Uhm perhaps, maybe, taxes?
Surely it is a fair question though? Large organisations have previously said they have contingency plans in place if Labour get in which basically means ways of avoiding paying the new taxes. So if they don’t get the additional income from the taxes where will the money come from?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8109 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:54:25 »

I don’t understand.

Corbyn has come out and said he will be neutral regarding Brexit. How can he? If he wins the GE he said he will negotiate a new deal with the EU which will then have to be voted on in the Commons.

Will he not vote for his own deal?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8110 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 19:55:36 »

Where does the money come from for the Torys to reduce corporation tax? Where does the money come from for the Lib Dems to increase the income tax threshold?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8111 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 20:00:28 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
I don’t understand.

Corbyn has come out and said he will be neutral regarding Brexit. How can he? If he wins the GE he said he will negotiate a new deal with the EU which will then have to be voted on in the Commons.

Will he not vote for his own deal?

it will go to the people. I assume he means he won't campaign one way or the other.

also, going through the commons would be a formality
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8112 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 20:03:09 »

Why would it be a formality? A minority Labour government would have the exact same problems as the Tories in passing Brexit legislation.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8113 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 20:04:48 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
Why would it be a formality? A minority Labour government would have the exact same problems as the Tories in passing Brexit legislation.

I'm assuming a majority government, or a minority propped up by a remain party.

it may have the same problem, granted
Flashheart

« Reply #8114 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 20:05:30 »

Let's not forget that Corbyn has a personal incentive to get a good deal. He's pro leave, he always has been.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 540 [541] 542 543 544 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: