Pages: 1 ... 536 537 538 [539] 540 541 542 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022163 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8070 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 17:18:01 »

A short summation of just about everything that is wrong with the UK political system.  Taken from the Guardian's Live news feed.

Billionaires and financiers are among those who have helped the Conservative party raise £5.7m in a single week, according to official figures.

Data published by the Electoral Commission on donations received between 6 and 12 November shows the Tories far outstripped other parties, most of which raised a couple of hundred thousand pounds during the same period.

The top donors to the Conservatives were:
  • John Gore, a theatre producer and recent addition to the Sunday Times rich list, with an estimated net worth of £1.5bn. He donated £1m.
  • WA Capital, the vehicle of the Dunelm Group founder Bill Adderley, worth an estimated £1.4bn. He donated £500,000.
  • Trailfinders Limited, a travel company, donated £500,000.
  • Countywide Developments Ltd, which is owned by the property billionaire Tony Gallagher, donated £500,000.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8071 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 17:37:38 »

A short summation of just about everything that is wrong with the UK political system.  Taken from the Guardian's Live news feed.

Billionaires and financiers are among those who have helped the Conservative party raise £5.7m in a single week, according to official figures.

Data published by the Electoral Commission on donations received between 6 and 12 November shows the Tories far outstripped other parties, most of which raised a couple of hundred thousand pounds during the same period.

The top donors to the Conservatives were:
  • John Gore, a theatre producer and recent addition to the Sunday Times rich list, with an estimated net worth of £1.5bn. He donated £1m.
  • WA Capital, the vehicle of the Dunelm Group founder Bill Adderley, worth an estimated £1.4bn. He donated £500,000.
  • Trailfinders Limited, a travel company, donated £500,000.
  • Countywide Developments Ltd, which is owned by the property billionaire Tony Gallagher, donated £500,000.

Trailfinders is an interesting one, a travel company donating to make overseas travel more difficult?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8072 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 18:13:15 »

Dominic Cummings' CCHQ fake news machine is working up to full speed now, with at least two online deceits just today. After the fake Labour manifesto site launch this morning, they've now doctored an October ITV interview with Jess Phillips to make out it was a response to the new manifesto launch, even replacing the ITV "October 3" timestamp with one showing today's date.

https://www.indy100.com/article/jess-phillips-video-doctored-tories-general-election-good-morning-britian-9212156?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3PcBT07cCCCdqtM0VFPaEgFeRDi_LqyP93K5-SL4JyJkq2sqmW777pQ7w#Echobox=1574348320

This is the Bannon playbook that worked so well for the Trump campaign in 2016, and, just like the Republicans, it depends on Tory spokespeople to abandon all honesty and ethics in order to defend it - yes, I'm looking at you Messrs Raab, Cleverley, Gove. Labour, impartial media and honest commentators need to call out this sinister lurch into the darkest sort of politics before our democracy is irreparably damaged. It really is that serious now.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8073 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 18:15:02 »

You mean you'd have switched your vote it was the other way round, or it was just nice to have your confirmation bias comforted?  Wink

I read through the Labour leaflet.
The Conservative one went straight into the pile for recycling.

Ultimately, both ended up in the same place.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
REDBUCK

« Reply #8074 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 18:19:02 »

A pleasant chap rang the door bell and asked if I would like a Labour campaign leaflet today.
The Tories just shoved theirs through the letter box without a by your leave.

It's the little things.

Did he offer to wipe your arse as well
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8075 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:06:41 »

Did he offer to wipe your arse as well

No, can manage that ok at the moment.
Might come a time when I can't, hopefully I won't make it to that stage.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8076 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:12:12 »

No, can manage that ok at the moment.
Might come a time when I can't, hopefully I won't make it to that stage.
If you do, better pray Johnson doesn't get into power
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8077 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:14:29 »

Dominic Cummings' CCHQ fake news machine is working up to full speed now, with at least two online deceits just today. After the fake Labour manifesto site launch this morning, they've now doctored an October ITV interview with Jess Phillips to make out it was a response to the new manifesto launch, even replacing the ITV "October 3" timestamp with one showing today's date.

https://www.indy100.com/article/jess-phillips-video-doctored-tories-general-election-good-morning-britian-9212156?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3PcBT07cCCCdqtM0VFPaEgFeRDi_LqyP93K5-SL4JyJkq2sqmW777pQ7w#Echobox=1574348320

This is the Bannon playbook that worked so well for the Trump campaign in 2016, and, just like the Republicans, it depends on Tory spokespeople to abandon all honesty and ethics in order to defend it - yes, I'm looking at you Messrs Raab, Cleverley, Gove. Labour, impartial media and honest commentators need to call out this sinister lurch into the darkest sort of politics before our democracy is irreparably damaged. It really is that serious now.
The likes of Peter Oborne (ex-Telegraph journalist and lifelong Tory) are calling it out. But it's being ignored, most shamefully by our supposedly impartial state broadcaster, the BBC. I think of all the things that have disappointed or worried me over the last few years, the descent of the BBC into government propaganda mouthpiece is the most disappointing. And you're absolutely right about the scale of the threat to democracy. If politicians can lie at will and not get called out on it, there is no way of holding them to account. It's frightening
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:17:05 by pauld » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #8078 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:28:54 »

Rachel Riley chooses to wear a T-shirt branding Corbyn a racist, which she is well within her rights to do, of course.

The image she has chosen was one of Corbyn being arrested for demonstrating against apartheid. She has photoshopped over the anti-apartheid message on the placard with text saying he is racist.

Really, Rachel? Really?

She should now adorn the "Birds you would but really shouldn't" hall of fame.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8079 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 07:30:05 »

Trailfinders is an interesting one, a travel company donating to make overseas travel more difficult?

Hopefully the staff were consulted and are on board with the fruits of their labour being donated to a political party.

Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8080 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 09:15:47 »

There was a guy on Question time who was seething with rage at labour for having the temerity to want him to pay more income tax.

It transpired that his annual salary was 80k. And a quick calculation suggests his tax would increase by £250 a year. I can't really understand why he was so angry.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8081 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 09:33:37 »

She should now adorn the "Birds you would but really shouldn't" hall of fame.

Indeed.

She is rightly getting the stick she deserves for her actions, just a pity that those berating her seem less keen to look closer to home.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8082 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 09:37:51 »

question time is in Swindon next week
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #8083 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 09:39:47 »

There was a guy on Question time who was seething with rage at labour for having the temerity to want him to pay more income tax.

It transpired that his annual salary was 80k. And a quick calculation suggests his tax would increase by £250 a year. I can't really understand why he was so angry.

He also thought that he wasn't even in the top 50% of earners, let alone the top 5%.

There were a number of things that annoyed me about the exchange, not least how the hell does someone who can't grasp basic facts end up earning that much money!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #8084 on: Friday, November 22, 2019, 09:41:49 »

Question Time could be in Swindon 5'oclock tomorrow evening !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 538 [539] 540 541 542 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: