Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022435 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6705 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 15:09:51 »

I was prepared to listen to Corbyn when he was elected as it was claimed he offered something different, however it has become clear that his politics are as ideologically driven and as ruthless as the Tories and at least you expect them to be unpleasant to the majority of the population.

He and his acolytes still haven't learnt the lesson that was dealt to Milliband (E), its all very well appealing to your supporters, they are not the votes you need to get its the floating electorate you are after! Its all very well people wittering on about labours c.500k membership, but thats barely the population of 3 big constituencies and means feck all in the scheme of things!

One of my bigger concerns at the moment (and there are a few) is that Johnson concludes quickly that his majority is too flimsy to do anything and takes a gamble with an early election.  If he loses, he becomes the PM with the shortest tenure in history.  But if he wins, he gets a proper majority and becomes much more dangerous than he is now.

Corbyn's weakness is central to all of this.  He's old news now, and it's difficult to see how he can reinvigorating his appeal to voters without going all out for Remain, which isn't his style.  He prefers muddle, compromise & obfuscation.  I can see the Brexit Party and the Tories co-ordinating far better with each other in terms of electoral agreements than Labour (led by a weakened Corbyn) & the Lib Dems (who can't stand Corbyn and are themselves led by someone who's been in the job 5 mins and still learning the ropes).  I really do worry about Labour and the Lib Dems screwing up if it were to come to another election.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6706 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 15:10:33 »

Jesus Christ Arriba " Labour's policies under Corbyn are considerably more moderate than the press would have you believe"
In your alternative universe on planet Arriba re-nationalisation of swathes of industries at a fraction of their worth and massively increasing the power of trade unions to be able to secondary picket in disputes anywhere in the world to name but two of many is moderate.
I lived through the times of the shuffling grandad known as Michael Foot he was right wing compared to the current gang of Marxists.
I respect your views but would suggest you at least try to remain in touch with the real world ie. nothing wrong with Marxism but be honest about their goals of state control of every aspect of society.

Of course the irony in your paranoid fantasies is that had Labour won under Foot in 83, we'd have left the European Union.

As Arriba poits out there was nothing in Labour's last manifesto under Corbyn which isn't moderate mainstream European social democracy.

However, in terms of thinking going forward... perhaps your attention might be drawn to Corbyn passing a motion through the House to declare a Climate Change Emergency.

https://labour.org.uk/press/jeremy-corbyn-declares-environment-climate-emergency/

It is here that the politics of the future will be formed..... the time of the deniers is passing, rapidly.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 15:15:41 by Reg Smeeton » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #6707 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:18:57 »

They do make it very easy for people to suggest that there might be, you know, a teensy little problem there...

Rachel Swindon isn't Jeremy Corbyn. Some of his biggest supporters like Rachel Swindon don't help his situation though.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6708 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:36:19 »

One of my bigger concerns at the moment (and there are a few) is that Johnson concludes quickly that his majority is too flimsy to do anything and takes a gamble with an early election.  If he loses, he becomes the PM with the shortest tenure in history.  But if he wins, he gets a proper majority and becomes much more dangerous than he is now.

Corbyn's weakness is central to all of this.  He's old news now, and it's difficult to see how he can reinvigorating his appeal to voters without going all out for Remain, which isn't his style.  He prefers muddle, compromise & obfuscation.  I can see the Brexit Party and the Tories co-ordinating far better with each other in terms of electoral agreements than Labour (led by a weakened Corbyn) & the Lib Dems (who can't stand Corbyn and are themselves led by someone who's been in the job 5 mins and still learning the ropes).  I really do worry about Labour and the Lib Dems screwing up if it were to come to another election.

Polls (smolls) show things pretty much 4 way split as it stands, the Torys and Farage Ltd are fighting over very common ground (Farage gains seem pretty directly in correlation with Tory losses) and unless Johnson starts offering Farge the world I cannot see him going quietly.

The pro remain parties have started to work very closely together finally (See Brecon) so the outlier as it stands is Labour. One only has to note the way the faithful attack jobs went after Swinson at the start of the week to show there is little chance of any agreement there as the LD's are not pure enough to be part of the project, as it stands more moderate centralist Labour voters are going to be more at home wtih the LD's than any other party but we shall see.

Despite all the posturing about Corbyn being great he is prevaricating about a confidence vote which suggests they ain't confident of winning an election (its almost like they just like protesting like students but don't actually want to do anything), likewise Johnson is ruling out elections as they are not confident of winning it (and polls suggest little if any leap in his support).

I suspect any election in the short to medium term would leave things even more fucked up than now!  
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6709 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:41:07 »

Rachel Swindon isn't Jeremy Corbyn. Some of his biggest supporters like Rachel Swindon don't help his situation though.

Its fairly well assumed that Rachel Swindon isn't even a woman (I suspect its Reg personally!) however it is also very clear that whoever runs the account has a very direct line to the inner circle and thus whatever they tweet is (rightly or wrongly) seen as party affiliated at worse so it really doesn't help.

Their change in tack this week was equally useless,

There is NO anti-Semitism in Labour.... it is a baseless smear used to undermine the leadership of Jeremy Cor....

URGENT CORRECTION

Jeremy Corbyn is showing amazing leadership by confronting the appalling scourge of anti-Semitism in Labour.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6710 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:43:28 »

horlock - not according to the Adver article

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16900734.prolific-pro-corbyn-tweeter-rachael-from-swindon-gives-rare-interview/

from

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/heres-the-woman-behind-britains-most-divisive-twitter
Flashheart

« Reply #6711 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:46:45 »

She's the wife of a former teffer who fell ill. He used to do excellent match preview write-ups, his name escapes me now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6712 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:47:53 »

She's the wife of a former teffer who fell ill. He used to do excellent match preview write-ups, his name escapes me now.

Shaw Rosso?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:49:37 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6713 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:51:11 »

horlock - not according to the Adver article

Must be true then!

Whatever it is she and her ilk do absolutely nothing to help the Labour cause, ultimately a hung parliament is incredibly likely, her and the other cultists desperate demonisation of the Lib Dems for making compromises in coalition is one of the stupidest and most short-sighted things about the Labour Party. No party is polling above 25 percent. If compromise is taboo, what exactly is the big plan here a coalition with the Tories?
Flashheart

« Reply #6714 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 16:55:16 »

Shaw Rosso?

That's the badger. Rachel Swindon is his misses.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6715 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 17:55:06 »

Quote from: Flashheart
Shaw Rosso?
That's the badger. Rachel Swindon is his misses.

He's quoted in that article so it's a relief the worst didn't happen.

wonder why he never retuned

Ignore
« Reply #6716 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 19:32:24 »

Its fairly well assumed that Rachel Swindon isn't even a woman (I suspect its Reg personally!) however it is also very clear that whoever runs the account has a very direct line to the inner circle and thus whatever they tweet is (rightly or wrongly) seen as party affiliated at worse so it really doesn't help.

Their change in tack this week was equally useless,

There is NO anti-Semitism in Labour.... it is a baseless smear used to undermine the leadership of Jeremy Cor....

URGENT CORRECTION

Jeremy Corbyn is showing amazing leadership by confronting the appalling scourge of anti-Semitism in Labour.

Rachel Swindon's tweets you posted are not anti Semitic. As far as I know she is just a campaigner for the party and uses Twitter as her voice.

The smear campaign against Jeremy Corbyn started way before the anti semitic stuff was ever mentioned too. It's been relentless for ages now.
The reason the anti semitism row kicked off I think was due to criticism of Israel and their conduct. They then took it and ran with it. Calling it anti semitism. Now, if anyone says anything against Israel they get labeled as anti semitic. That's just plain madness.

Now I'm sure there is some anti Semitism within Labour and its supporters to a point, and of course it needs stamping out, but I think its been blown out of proportion. I think it's very few individuals. There is no more anti semitism than you'd find within the Tory ranks I'm sure. But as they leave Israel to carry on as they like, nothing gets said.  Not to mention their anti Muslim issues which has now seen violent attacks against Muslim women rocket recently. The now prime minister called them letterboxes.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 19:53:34 by Arriba » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6717 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 20:10:07 »

The smear campaign against Jeremy Corbyn started way before the anti semitic stuff was ever mentioned too. It's been relentless for ages now.
The reason the anti semitism row kicked off I think was due to criticism of Israel and their conduct. They then took it and ran with it. Calling it anti semitism. Now, if anyone says anything against Israel they get labeled as anti semitic. That's just plain madness.

Now I'm sure there is some anti Semitism within Labour and its supporters to a point, and of course it needs stamping out, but I think its been blown out of proportion. I think it's very few individuals.
You're right, it is very few individuals but that doesn't make it any less real. And the few individuals who do blur the lines between legitimate criticism of Israel and out-and-out anti-Semitism tend to come from the hard-left factions within (and sometimes outside) the party that are seen by Corbyn and his crew as supporting him. Plus he has a non-too clever track record of lining up alongside some very dodgy characters in the name of the Palestinian cause. All of which makes him and his crew very slow to act against the real anti-Semites. He's the author of his own misfortune in this regard - swift and decisive action early on would have seen this off. But 3 years later it's still dragging on, and it's his own fault.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6718 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 20:12:20 »

Robert Buckland becomes Justice Minister in the Sinister Syndicate Johnson cabinet.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6719 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 20:17:49 »

On a positive note, at least Grayling has finally gone. On a less positive note the only member of May's cabinet more inept than him is now Prime Minister. Apparently told Tory MPs yesterday that he is going to solve the Iranian crisis by building more ships for the Navy. WTAF?
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: