Pages: 1 ... 355 356 357 [358] 359 360 361 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021999 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5355 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 09:58:59 »

I'm going on holiday next month. If we leave with no deal apart from making sure my passport is well in date (it is) is there likely to be any other disruption I should be aware of?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5356 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 09:59:16 »

No deal is the only outcome that means leavers have to admit they were wrong. It'll almost be worth it for the schaudenfrade.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5357 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 09:59:53 »

Don't really agree with this, but understand the sentiment.  It's mind-numbingly awful, isn't it.
Yeah it is and I'm not even sure I agree with it tbh but there's a big part of me now that just thinks you know this IS what people voted for, you can't just junk that, while the consequences of a no-deal Brexit will be bad, the damage to our democracy if we don't leave will be worse, so let's let people reap what they have sown. As adults, we have to live with the consequences of our decisions, and MPs do not have the right to paternalistically overturn those decisions because they think they know better. That's way worse than a Brexit of any description. So fuck it. Bring it on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5358 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:02:37 »

I'm going on holiday next month. If we leave with no deal apart from making sure my passport is well in date (it is) is there likely to be any other disruption I should be aware of?

There's the inevitable zombie apocalypse. I'm booked to go to Ireland for 4 days in mid-April as well, on a kids football tour, not enthralled at the prospect of dealing with any potential disruption to travel etc with 40-50 kids in tow. So while the May extension is politically stupid on a selfish level I'd welcome it because it postpones whatever shitstorm until shortly before millions of people are travelling on their summer holidays.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5359 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:04:53 »

There's the inevitable zombie apocalypse. I'm booked to go to Ireland for 4 days in mid-April as well, on a kids football tour, not enthralled at the prospect of dealing with any potential disruption to travel etc with 40-50 kids in tow. So while the May extension is politically stupid on a selfish level I'd welcome it because it postpones whatever shitstorm until shortly before millions of people are travelling on their summer holidays.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I won't be the only person going away for Easter so the potential 3 month delay would certainly put a few minds at ease. Now with a no deal looking likely and the leave date being the end of this month I fear more carnage than usual at the airports etc.

Although the guy that works for the Italian book printers said its all going to be ok, so he seems to know best Smiley

Where in Ireland are you off to?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5360 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:07:55 »

Something like 50 to 60 new signatures to this petition every second.

Petition: Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5361 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:12:24 »

I suspect you'll not notice too much difference, perhaps some initial confusion, but the impact will be slow to discern.

I recall travelling before we were in the Common Market... yes nice shiny blue passport, but because the economy was fucked, you were only allowed to take I think £50 with you in cash.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #5362 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:21:46 »

Something like 50 to 60 new signatures to this petition every second.

Petition: Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU

Interesting to see if it gets over 17 million...is there one started by the Brexiteers?

Bathtime
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #5363 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:28:38 »

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I won't be the only person going away for Easter so the potential 3 month delay would certainly put a few minds at ease. Now with a no deal looking likely and the leave date being the end of this month I fear more carnage than usual at the airports etc.

Although the guy that works for the Italian book printers said its all going to be ok, so he seems to know best Smiley

Where in Ireland are you off to?

I am booked to take 5 customers to the factory near Verona on the 15th April and thinking of tacking on a few days holiday - not particularly worried about going apart from the usual queues and my remaining voting customers are looking forward to it...passport up to date - go for it....

Bathtime
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5364 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:28:49 »

Interesting to see if it gets over 17 million...is there one started by the Brexiteers?

Not that I am aware of, they are presently walking from Jarrow to London somewhat missing the point.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5365 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:30:50 »

Not that I am aware of, they are presently walking from Jarrow to London somewhat missing the point.

I read about that yesterday, I think there is only 100 or so of them. I presume Farage isn't going the whole way?

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5366 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:36:23 »

I read about that yesterday, I think there is only 100 or so of them. I presume Farage isn't going the whole way?

No Farage flew up to the start (strangely reticent to reveal who paid for the jet when asked by the media) where there were cameras and will no doubt be there at the end when cameras are also present.

The highlight so far was on Sunday when the route included crossing the Transporter Bridge in Middlesbrough, only for them to arrive and find it closed (as it is every Sunday - planning really isn't their thing is it!) necessitating a 5 mile detour for the poor buggers who have paid £50 for Farages vanity project.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5367 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:44:59 »

This is quite an interesting piece, which rather supports the opinion that much of the problem with Brexit is that there is little consensus of what it really means....

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/mps-admit-the-real-problem-with-brexit/21/03/
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5368 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:57:23 »

The only way to find consensus (or 'bring the country together' as politicians are fond of saying) is to find some kind of middle ground that involves leaving the EU but also recognises the slim margin of the vote.  But finding that middle ground precisely what Theresa May’s intransigent approach to this process prevents.  In her heart (I'm assuming she has one, somewhere), she will know that the indicative votes proposed by many have to be the way forward - but that would mean putting the country before her own party.  And she's shown no sign of doing that to date.

She is the problem here, not the solution.  Her statement yesterday evening was breath-taking for a number of reasons, with a complete lack of self-awareness being top of the list.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5369 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 10:58:55 »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 357 [358] 359 360 361 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: