Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022940 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4890 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 14:47:22 »

Easy to point the finger at those two (and let's not forget the ever-rabid Express), but as I say the so-called "quality" papers are just as much at fault on this. And the liberal media hasn't done a great job at holding the bullshitters to account either. The press is a vital institution of a functioning democracy (one of the reasons why the far right hate them so much) and our media, both left and right, have failed us every bit as badly as our politicians

Indeed one of the key problems in modern Britain is that proper journalism has frankly ceased to exist. One only has to look at Farage being held to account on Irish Telly the other night for telling blatant lies and Beth Rigby getting under Johnsons skin last night to see how proper questioning has become a surprising exception rather than the rule, in both cases the veil dropped and you could see the anger rising as it must be shock to them.

Diane Abbott is a liability, but when compares the questioning and ridicule she faces and compares with others to the right who bugger it up (Rory the Tory for instance) to see that these is something going wrong.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4891 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 15:22:19 »

So anybody prepping for no deal  Hmmm

Given Bambi's shopping lists and Jayo's expertise on prices, I can only assume that securing essential supplies are entering people's thoughts.

T'other day I went round to see a lady friend of mine who was sorting out her cupboards, light heartedly I asked if she was prepping for no deal.... yes, says she, on enquiry she was laying in stocks of bog paper and gin.

But gin is surely distilled in the UK, says I.... but apparently juniper berries come from the EU, and may well become one of the shortage crops.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4892 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 15:29:21 »

So anybody prepping for no deal  Hmmm

Given Bambi's shopping lists and Jayo's expertise on prices, I can only assume that securing essential supplies are entering people's thoughts.

T'other day I went round to see a lady friend of mine who was sorting out her cupboards, light heartedly I asked if she was prepping for no deal.... yes, says she, on enquiry she was laying in stocks of bog paper and gin.

But gin is surely distilled in the UK, says I.... but apparently juniper berries come from the EU, and may well become one of the shortage crops.

My DW keeps trying to stockpile gin, it doesn't end well....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4893 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 15:45:14 »

My DW keeps trying to stockpile gin, it doesn't end well....

Think the potential problems caused by a gin shortage for the women folk of the UK, are one of the reasons for martial law.... it'll make Hogarthian Gin Street, look like a Tim Martin Wetherspoon's rally for no deal.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4894 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 16:01:12 »

Think the potential problems caused by a gin shortage for the women folk of the UK, are one of the reasons for martial law.... it'll make Hogarthian Gin Street, look like a Tim Martin Wetherspoon's rally for no deal.

Take that and potential prosecco shortages into account and its going to be carnage.....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4895 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 18:06:38 »

I pick my Sloes at home. Sloe Gin for me. Still have some 7 year steeped version in a cupboard.

As for wine and cuveé trade, the UK is one of the prominent markets in that niche. We'll not go short on Prosecco based equivalents. I can still enjoy an Aperol Spritz on occasion Smiley

As for incumbent political mentality; wasn't it Rita Brown who said:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Sir red ken

« Reply #4896 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:08:33 »

It's looking increasingly like no deal... and crash out in April. Not to worry though the Tories are going to impose Martial Law, that'll be fun, as it certainly hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Martial law will be imposed if Parliment blocks Brexit. Many in Westminster take a uk wage but work for their eu masters.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4897 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:32:17 »

Martial law will be imposed if Parliment blocks Brexit. Many in Westminster take a uk wage but work for their eu masters.

I would imagine it will equally be imposed once the food starts running out as hungry people tend to be rather stroppy, especially when they have been taken for a ride, I suppose the big choice is whether one needs to eat or not?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4898 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:43:19 »

The whole point of voting leave was to reassert the sovereignty of the UK parliament (there's an "a" in there, btw). But then when Parliament attempts to do just that, the Brexiteers aren't so keen. You lot really don't have much of a clue what you actually want have you?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4899 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:45:38 »

I would imagine it will equally be imposed once the food starts running out as hungry people tend to be rather stroppy, especially when they have been taken for a ride, I suppose the big choice is whether one needs to eat or not?

Here's a wartime ration allocation...

Bacon & Ham         4 oz
    Other meat            value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
    Butter                      2 oz
    Cheese                     2 oz
    Margarine              4 oz
    Cooking fat            4 oz
    Milk                       3 pints
    Sugar                    8 oz
    Preserves            1 lb every 2 months
    Tea                        2 oz
    Eggs                     1 fresh egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
    Sweets                  12 oz every 4 weeks

I reckon Bambi could do something with that once he's converted it to grams/kilos
Flashheart

« Reply #4900 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:48:32 »

but work for their eu masters.

This kind of rhetoric just makes me switch off, I can't take it seriously. It's Ike-esque.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4901 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 10:51:48 »

This kind of rhetoric just makes me switch off, I can't take it seriously. It's Ike-esque.

Its just the deep state paranoia that right wingers have been fed by people like Johnson and Rees-Mogg/Infowars etc, who would probably actually be part of such a clandestine structure if it actually existed.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4902 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 12:42:40 »

Martial law?

UK to impose this on Brussels....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/this-could-be-the-funniest-piece-of-brexit-news-so-far-this-year-1.3777305?mode=amp
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4903 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 12:47:19 »

Well many of them are all obsessed with the war despite not having lived through it, strangely their recollection of the Irish Troubles which they did live through is more lacking....
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4904 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 13:35:59 »

Out of interest, can one of you clever know it alls on here explain how the border into Switzerland works? Is it an open border to France and Germany etc? What with it being surrounded by EU countries and not in the EU itself?

I know its not a similar comparison, but I'm curious about it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: