Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022940 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4875 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 08:18:41 »

And I should just clarify that I don’t immediately think you’re racist if you voted for Brexit.

But I do think all racists voted for Brexit

I think there is a point where nationalism spills into racism and xenophobi, and I think that, based on the margin of victory and the nature of the leave campaign (official and unofficial), the vote was ultimately won by Appealing to this subset of people (notwithstanding the complacency of the remain campaign)

I think the reason we’re in this position now is because that subset of people have hijacked proceedings, and been enabled to do so by powerful people in Westminster and Fleet Street who, while maybe not sharing the same sentiment, feel they can profit from it (either financially or politically)

I fail to see how any rational person, who has no unfair prejudices, can see a no deal crash out as a good outcome

Things get better but they never get good
Sir red ken

« Reply #4876 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 08:26:00 »

Daft fucking argument. Why don’t you fuck off to Norway, or Switzerland, or australia, or America, or any other of the hundreds of countries that aren’t in the EU
Only if you come with me Bogus Dave, we can stream STFC games and watch the daily politics show together.
Think of all the "deep" and meaningful conversations we could have!
I could be yournumber 1 bestie and cunt
Flashheart

« Reply #4877 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 08:53:22 »

So, the only deal that was passed was one that the EU had already said no to and since re-iterated it's a no?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4878 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 09:09:48 »

Quote from: Flashheart
So, the only deal that was passed was one that the EU had already said no to and since re-iterated it's a no?

yeah, but they need us more than we need them. So they're just playing brinkmanship and will crumble to our demands at the 11th hour.

innit.

a motion passed rejecting no deal brexit. But it's non binding so pretty pointless
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4879 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 09:23:57 »

yeah, but they need us more than we need them. So they're just playing brinkmanship and will crumble to our demands at the 11th hour.

innit.

a motion passed rejecting no deal brexit. But it's non binding so pretty pointless

Pretty much it, parliament seems to have given Mrs May a mandate to go back to Brussels and ask for something that she has been told time and time again is unobtainable, its basically a case of Britain reverting to stereotype by asking the same thing over and over again in an ever louder voice arrogantly expecting this to be the best way to get our own way.

The oft repeated comment about the EU always taking things to the wire is plainly nonsense, yes they have been known to take things to the wire when its been an internal EU negotiation with last minute agreement as a way of keeping cohesion by compromise, however when its negotiating with a third party state, especially a dysfunctional one which doesn't keep its word and threatens to break its legal obligations there is no evidence to suggest that the EU will not just walk away, see TTIP.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4880 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 09:46:03 »

I've been tied up for last two days and have happily missed all the Brexit news.  Can someone give me a simple concise summary?  My current vague understanding is:

1. We're going back to renegotiate backstop unilaterally but EU won't discuss anything until Parliament have confirmed what complete deal they will accept.
2. Parliament voted that we won't exit with no deal but non-binding on govt.
3. Parliament voted against extending March 29 deadline to exit.  Binding or non-binding?

Is that right? if so given that 2 & 3 are potentially conflicting which one takes priority?

Is that about it currently?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4881 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 10:11:53 »

Can someone give me a simple concise summary?

We're being fucked over by idealogues.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4882 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 10:15:37 »

We're being fucked over by idealogues.

Whilst many will not agree with the authors stance, this seems a fairly robust and short detail of where we find ourselves...

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/29/amendment-apocalypse-spineless-mps-just-voted-against-realit
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4883 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 10:22:10 »

It's the endless repetition of 'in the national interest' that gets me.  When what the PM really means is 'in the interests of sellotaping together my fatally fractured political party for another week or two...and hang the consequences.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4884 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 10:24:13 »

It's looking increasingly like no deal... and crash out in April. Not to worry though the Tories are going to impose Martial Law, that'll be fun, as it certainly hasn't happened in my lifetime.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4885 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 11:14:56 »

It's looking increasingly like no deal... and crash out in April. Not to worry though the Tories are going to impose Martial Law, that'll be fun, as it certainly hasn't happened in my lifetime.
Better than Pogba Law. Fucking Man U!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4886 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 12:59:38 »

And I should just clarify that I don’t immediately think you’re racist if you voted for Brexit.

But I do think all racists voted for Brexit

I think there is a point where nationalism spills into racism and xenophobi, and I think that, based on the margin of victory and the nature of the leave campaign (official and unofficial), the vote was ultimately won by Appealing to this subset of people (notwithstanding the complacency of the remain campaign)

I think the reason we’re in this position now is because that subset of people have hijacked proceedings, and been enabled to do so by powerful people in Westminster and Fleet Street who, while maybe not sharing the same sentiment, feel they can profit from it (either financially or politically)

I fail to see how any rational person, who has no unfair prejudices, can see a no deal crash out as a good outcome

I'll take some umbrage - I reckon about 30 years of practically everyone in Parliament and the Press, poor and elites combined, are behind the vote to leave.  You can't call the thing broken for that long, undermine all it's benefit to the country and then expect not to find negative sentiment out on the streets.  Fucking bendy banana stories are where to look for blame, that and Rule Britannia.  The one problem I did have with the EU was the desire to broaden it without ensuring countries were truly signed up to everything and not just the economics.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4887 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 13:52:01 »

I'll take some umbrage - I reckon about 30 years of practically everyone in Parliament and the Press, poor and elites combined, are behind the vote to leave.  You can't call the thing broken for that long, undermine all it's benefit to the country and then expect not to find negative sentiment out on the streets.  Fucking bendy banana stories are where to look for blame
Prominent among those peddling that shit in the press were Boris Johnson and Gove when they worked for the Telegraph and the Times respectively. Successive editors of both papers should bow their heads in shame about some of the abject lies they allowed those two to publish on their watch, a habit they have continued in government
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4888 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 14:16:45 »

Prominent among those peddling that shit in the press were Boris Johnson and Gove when they worked for the Telegraph and the Times respectively. Successive editors of both papers should bow their heads in shame about some of the abject lies they allowed those two to publish on their watch, a habit they have continued in government

Any country where the Sun and the Daily Mail are the most-read newspapers was bound to run into political trouble sooner or later. They've been injecting lies and xenophobic venom into the body politic for too long not to cause necrosis of the heart.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4889 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 14:37:50 »

Any country where the Sun and the Daily Mail are the most-read newspapers was bound to run into political trouble sooner or later. They've been injecting lies and xenophobic venom into the body politic for too long not to cause necrosis of the heart.
Easy to point the finger at those two (and let's not forget the ever-rabid Express), but as I say the so-called "quality" papers are just as much at fault on this. And the liberal media hasn't done a great job at holding the bullshitters to account either. The press is a vital institution of a functioning democracy (one of the reasons why the far right hate them so much) and our media, both left and right, have failed us every bit as badly as our politicians
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: