Pages: 1 ... 315 316 317 [318] 319 320 321 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022630 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4755 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:05:36 »

Realistically, how long do people think leaving the EU 'properly' would take?

Its become clear that 2.5 years is not nearly enough to work these things out. With hindsight I am sure Cameron would have done things differently but what time frame is sensible? 5 years,7 years, 10?

Under this government or continuing elements of it;

Never.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:37:56 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4756 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:06:49 »

Ah Singapore, where it only started to improve once it gained independence from the British, 39% of its population are foreign nationals and the majority of housing is social housing. Sure Brexiters will love that!

The Brexiteers like the idea of Singapore's 16% spend of GDP on government business, due to low taxation.

Further, they like the draconian laws like the death penalty for drug dealing.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4757 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:15:59 »

Island mentality coupled with the constant glorification of having given the French, Germans, Spanish et al what for in conflicts, in some cases dating back hundreds of years.

If the UK was still attached to the mainland then there wouldn't be problem with 'Europe'.

I get your historical point totally but there are also many other European Islands that do not have a problem with 'Europe', one being our nearest neighbour, Ireland. Do you think it's because of the historical element that there is this deep rooted, subconscious (for some) belief that we (the UK - further England) think we are much better than other nations?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4758 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:26:01 »

Small sample size (1,000), but latest YouGov poll has support for Leave @ 44%, and Remain @ 56%.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4759 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:28:17 »

I get your historical point totally but there are also many other European Islands that do not have a problem with 'Europe', one being our nearest neighbour, Ireland. Do you think it's because of the historical element that there is this deep rooted, subconscious (for some) belief that we (the UK - further England) think we are much better than other nations?
Look, they speak funny and eat strange food. That’s all it is!

Intrinsically, we don’t trust ‘em! My God, they don’t even play cricket - the cloggies do a bit - but you get my drift.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4760 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:36:52 »

Small sample size (1,000), but latest YouGov poll has support for Leave @ 44%, and Remain @ 56%.
I think we're all intelligent enough to ignore the polls given how fucking useless they have been the last few times they have been used for politics.
I agree with wobbly Bob about the island mentality but embrace it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4761 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:40:32 »

It's certainly an attitude ingrained in 'The Establishment'.
Just have a look at all of the verses of the National Anthem and Rule Britannia for starters.

And what Audrey said.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4762 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 13:58:42 »

It's certainly an attitude ingrained in 'The Establishment'.
Just have a look at all of the verses of the National Anthem and Rule Britannia for starters.

And what Audrey said.  Smiley

One only has to look at the various negotiation techniques promoted by many to see that many of our problems hark back to our own inflated opinion of ourselves, possibly because many do not seem to be able to move forward from the early 70's.

We used to have an empire, we don't anymore, we used to be a world power, not anymore, many other countries have readjusted to a changing world sadly we seem unable and have become a laughing stock on the back of it.
Flashheart

« Reply #4763 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:01:10 »

Yeah, but spitfires!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4764 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:15:06 »

possibly because many do not seem to be able to move forward from the early 70's.

You Sir sell the nation short.  They had a guy on the radio this morning harping back to 1945. Not sure if he was actually old enough to remember it, but that didn't deter him.

Yeah, but spitfires!

Exactly!
---------------------
In any case the 70s/80s were shit if you were poor.

We had to rent a TV, one that you had to put 50ps in to work that had an uncanny knack of knowing when the best bit was on and shit itself off. Peak timing too, when you had to knock the neighbors door because you had to change a pound note.

Who wants to go back to that.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:18:09 by Batch » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4765 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:20:01 »

I think we're all intelligent enough to ignore the polls given how fucking useless they have been the last few times they have been used for politics.

That's true.  But if this picture sticks, it becomes increasingly difficult/awkward for May to dig her heels in and hide behind the 'will of the people' shield she's currently using to fend off any suggestions that she might now need to deviate from her Plan A.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4766 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:20:39 »

Yeah, but spitfires!

I know your tongue is placed firmly in your cheek, but for many others it sadly isn't. Take much being made by certain brexiteers that Dunkirk is some sort of steer of Britishness and illustrates that we will overcome and survive Brexit, setting aside the fact that it was 80 odd years ago, it was also the result of a pretty crushing defeat, yet because it has become, over time, some manner of sign of how great we are. the truth of history has really been lost. Like the  oft shouted argument that we won the war and Europe owes us for it, when actually it was a coalition of 15+ nations that actually won the war.

We are a funny old lot.  
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4767 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:28:18 »

You Sir sell the nation short.  They had a guy on the radio this morning harping back to 1945. Not sure if he was actually old enough to remember it, but that didn't deter him.

That's another bug bear of min, people in their 60's and 70's who babble on about the blitz spirit and war like they were there with feck all idea what it was really like. My old man is 82 this year and lived through the war in Swindon, being only 8 when it finished. He cannot remember very much of it, but he does remember. it was shit, not enough food, bombs dropping and families ripped apart (he didn't even meet his father till he was 8 or 9 as my grand dad was stationed in Burma/India got malaria and thus never came back until the war ended.

In any case the 70s/80s were shit if you were poor.

We had to rent a TV, one that you had to put 50ps in to work that had an uncanny knack of knowing when the best bit was on and shit itself off. Peak timing too, when you had to knock the neighbors door because you had to change a pound note.

Who wants to go back to that.

Yeah but we had an empire and ruled the waves.... we had a rented telly but not one you put cash in, just one with a control on a wire. We did have a 50p meter though, great thing to have in an isolated village, always used to run out on a Sunday night where nowhere was open to get any change even in Witney!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4768 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:33:02 »

Only if you exclude the don't knows and people who say they wouldn't vote. Survation have it at 51/49 in favour of remain. The country is still split down the middle.

Survation results here - https://www.survation.com/new-survation-polling-12-01-19/
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4769 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:39:56 »

Not convinced about the timing but they are probably right that its time for Corbyn to piss or get off the pot....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/17/lib-dems-refuse-to-support-future-labour-no-confidence-votes
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 317 [318] 319 320 321 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: