Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021878 times)
Sir red ken

« Reply #4155 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 13:19:40 »

Got to say, those Frogs know how to protest.

Back to Brexit, some Professor of Economics Patrick Minford, has come up with figures stating a no deal Brexit would cost the EU far more than the UK.

‘BRITAIN would benefit from “some £651billion in all” if Theresa May was to walk away from the negotiating table and quit the European Union with no deal – handing Brussels devastating financial loses, according to a leading economist.’

Is there enough egg to go round when this damn thing finally ends?
So we've been paying in billions for the EU to get more from us than we do them?
I can see the economic benefit of remain now, there isn't any, unless you snout is in the EU trough.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4156 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 14:23:36 »

Back to Brexit, some Professor of Economics Patrick Minford, has come up with figures stating a no deal Brexit would cost the EU far more than the UK.
Minford is very fringe - he was one of Thatcher's gurus in the 70s and early 80s but since then has moved ever further to the extremes, so that even Thatcherites now find him a bit of an embarrassment. If the Brexiteers are wheeling him out, it's a bit like seeking credibility for quack medicine from the "MMR causes Autism" doctor.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4157 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 14:27:04 »

Good luck with Minford's dystopian deregulated world of imported lead paint soldiers, noxious vehicles, decimated UK manufacturing but with a kindly, indulgent EU neighbour giving up its own regulation to accommodate its plucky UK neighbour's exports.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4158 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 14:39:27 »

And on this point, you are clearly more trusting than I am.  
 Some have malign intentions, and that needs to be confronted.

You may be right, and I accept that my viewpoint that "people's intentions are generally good even if I think they are misplaced" is optimistic.

The problem is that so many people are going down your line that their point of view is decent whilst alternative viewpoints are malignant and dishonest.  Every conceivable option has a majority vehemently opposed to it albeit for widely varying reasons.  

We are tearing ourselves apart in much the same way that the US is over Trump.  

Sir red ken

« Reply #4159 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 15:11:02 »

You may be right, and I accept that my viewpoint that "people's intentions are generally good even if I think they are misplaced" is optimistic.

The problem is that so many people are going down your line that their point of view is decent whilst alternative viewpoints are malignant and dishonest.  Every conceivable option has a majority vehemently opposed to it albeit for widely varying reasons.  

We are tearing ourselves apart in much the same way that the US is over Trump.  

Those tearing us apart are the ones who even with a 9 million pound advantage lost the referendum and now wish to ignore the result. Like Gina Millar, who said to her 10 year daughter, I'll stop the UK leaving the EU,because it made her little girl unhappy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4160 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 15:38:49 »

Those tearing us apart are the ones who even with a 9 million pound advantage lost the referendum and now wish to ignore the result. Like Gina Millar, who said to her 10 year daughter, I'll stop the UK leaving the EU,because it made her little girl unhappy.

Let's try again shall we.... we're leaving the EU in  March.  You probably don't remember but GM, got the court to state that Parliament should have a say in the Brexit process.... which they took by voting overwhelmingly to activate Art 50.  That set in process the negotiations to decide under what terms we exit.... David Davis, a leading Brexiteer was in charge of this, and we've arrived with May's deal.  If Parliament votes down the deal, then unless as is highly likely the can is kicked down the road for a bit longer, we'll default to no deal in March.

Nobody is ignoring the result....
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4161 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 18:00:11 »

Interesting claim you make about Gina Miller.

Out of rather sceptical interest, do you know the family or have a source for your claim?
Sir red ken

« Reply #4162 on: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 19:33:11 »

Interesting claim you make about Gina Miller.

Out of rather sceptical interest, do you know the family or have a source for your claim?

Yeah I know Gina well and we've spent many an hour debating why she feels she can stop brexit.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4163 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 11:21:55 »

I spoke to gina today and she said that in her interview with Sly news, she confirms that due to her court case the UK will have to leave in March 29th, on WT terms, everything else would be illegal. She's broken hearted but sends her best wishes to the town and its supporters for today's FA cup match.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4164 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 14:07:02 »

No deal will not happen.  Parliament won't let it, and there's no majority for it in the country either.  Anyone who wants it that badly will need to stick on a ballot paper as an option and see where it gets them.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4165 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 16:15:07 »

No deal will not happen.  Parliament won't let it, and there's no majority for it in the country either.  Anyone who wants it that badly will need to stick on a ballot paper as an option and see where it gets them.
That's what it said on the last ballot paper accept the deal or leave the EU! not Brino,another deal,Norway light or any other tied to and ruled by the EU option.When you ticked remain didn't you read the ballot paper It said,take dave's deal or leave the EU. it wasn't multi choice. I bet your in favour of another referendum without leave as an option.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4166 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 16:59:37 »

Yeah I know Gina well and we've spent many an hour debating why she feels she can stop brexit.

What does she make of you?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4167 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 17:01:41 »

That's what it said on the last ballot paper accept the deal or leave the EU! not Brino,another deal,Norway light or any other tied to and ruled by the EU option.When you ticked remain didn't you read the ballot paper It said,take dave's deal or leave the EU. it wasn't multi choice. I bet your in favour of another referendum without leave as an option.

Wrong on all counts.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4168 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 17:18:29 »

What does she make of you?
She said I was a political genius.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4169 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 17:20:07 »

Wrong on all counts.
Is it, so what did the ballot paper you voted on say leave, maybe leave a little,leave in name only? Come on tell me.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: