Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021848 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2100 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 11:41:33 »

Lots of left wing types on my Twitter celebrating this, and whilst it is really quite funny that the attorney general doesn't know the law, the law of unintended consequences looms large. If May wants to pass Brexit through parliament, she'd be much more comfortable with doing so after calling a new election and securing a massive Conservative majority on the back of the pro-Brexit rage this is almost certainly going to cause.

Five years of the Tories with a 100+ majority? Well, at least Corbyn stood up for his principles eh?

The whole thing is a fucking embarrassing shambles, with the government unable to write or interpret the law, whilst the worthies on the exit side have been shown to be somewhat clueless in encouraging people to vote for a simple thing that could not actually be delivered with the legislation available - you would have expected someone to have checked.

I am a little torn to be honest, its going to delay the inevitable departure which will instead lead to months more uncertainty and mess, however I am pleased that the government has been slapped down on the wider attempt to interpret legislation how it suits them and not as it is actually written, which would have set a worrying precedent!

As for the post Brexit rage remember that 48% of the electorate voted to stay I suspect May will wait to see how the Richmond by-election goes before she makes any decisions as whilst Goldsmith with the support of the Tories and UKIP (but he is Independent remember) is trying to suggest that the election will be all about Heathrow a lot of the local electorate are suggesting it may have more to do with Brexit - we shall see...

Corbyn stood entirely with his principles, he wanted to leave and thus did fuck all despite what Labour policy actually was, a bit of a novelty for a leader to defy party policy but that's 'new' politics for you!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2101 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 11:44:50 »

Look forward to dealing with the inevitable rioting if Brexit doesn't happen.
They're all middle aged/elderly ex-pats, they might send stiff letters into the Mail, but they're not really the rioting class Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2102 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 11:46:58 »

The whole thing is a fucking embarrassing shambles, with the government unable to write or interpret the law, whilst the worthies on the exit side have been shown to be somewhat clueless in encouraging people to vote for a simple thing that could not actually be delivered with the legislation available - you would have expected someone to have checked.
The leave lot should be delighted anyway, because they told us all they didn't vote leave because they're nasty anti-immigrant bigots but because of their high-minded belief in the principle of the sovereignty of the UK parliament, which this judgement upholds, so they'll all be well chuffed with this.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2103 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 11:50:27 »

The Tory party's attempt at running a government in sole charge since 2015, has been incompetent in the extreme.

I haven't a clue how this is going to pan out, just like our politicians.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2104 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 11:54:27 »

The Tory party's attempt at running a government in sole charge since 2015, has been incompetent in the extreme.
Unlike the well-oiled machine which is Her Majesty's Opposition Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2105 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 12:00:16 »

You've got to hand it to Sturgeon and the SNP.....
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2106 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 12:12:01 »

Opposition you say?  Yes Im one of those.  Whats going on?  Hang on I just need to have an argument with a blairite.  Im sure nothing important is going on.  Hang on a minute whilst I punch myself repeatedly in the balls whilst sitting in a broad church.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2107 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 12:26:12 »

They're all middle aged/elderly ex-pats, they might send stiff letters into the Mail, but they're not really the rioting class Smiley

Don't imagine many of us middle-aged ex-pats voted to be the Christmas turkey. Anyway, most long-term ex-pats can only dream of the basic human right of a vote in any national election.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2108 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 13:40:31 »

Don't imagine many of us middle-aged ex-pats voted to be the Christmas turkey. Anyway, most long-term ex-pats can only dream of the basic human right of a vote in any national election.
I was taking the piss out of a perceived stereotype, tbf. Albeit not very well.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2109 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 13:45:31 »

The leave lot should be delighted anyway, because they told us all they didn't vote leave because they're nasty anti-immigrant bigots but because of their high-minded belief in the principle of the sovereignty of the UK parliament, which this judgement upholds, so they'll all be well chuffed with this.

If Parliament wants sovereignty then it should get off its fat arse, exercise it and demand a say on the Royal Prerogative - however it has shown every indication before the referendum of doing quite the opposite. It's not impotent it exercised its power over RP before with the Iraq war when Blair could use Royal Prerogative to send Britain to war without Parliamentary approval, but Parliament put significant political pressure on Blair for it to go to a vote.

The court is the wrong forum to resolve this issue. Precedent has showed where there's a dispute between Parliament and the Executive, the courts have consistently taken a neutral line. Instead what we appear to have here is the court overstepping its remit and breaching separation of powers to tell a sovereign Parliament what to do.

I suspect though that this the Divisional Court’s (High Court) way of forcing the government to “bump it upstairs” to the Supreme Court where a decision of this magnitude should be decided
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 13:47:52 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2110 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 13:47:14 »

Think you leavers need to accept you've lost this and move on Wink
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2111 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 13:49:16 »

Think you leavers need to accept you've lost this and move on Wink

Cheesy I don't think it matters one way or the other, the only beneficiaries are lawyers...as always

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2112 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 14:56:18 »

An unutterably tedious and annoying process continues then.  As a university educated, politically engaged individual I didn't feel in any way qualified to make a decision of this magnitude.  Nor should I have been expected to but for Cameron desperately deciding the only gambit he could play to ensure power was to court the UKIP voters with the promise of a ridiculous referendum.  And the pigs in the trough played their game and we are left to suffer.

Not least from the fact that a horrible compound word that didn't exist today is now the most commonly used word in the media.  Brexit.  Making Britain a more ghastly and unpleasant place in every possible way.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2113 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 16:42:17 »

I was taking the piss out of a perceived stereotype, tbf. Albeit not very well.

I know. And I think there are a lot of that kind of ex-pat on the riviera (hi, Ironside Bye) and the costas that can't string a sentence of the local lingo together but who, without a hint of self-awareness, voted out.

Brexit's had a funny effect on me. I used to come over to the UK regularly for work, friends and football, but increasingly I can't be arsed. My family, my future, my views are more European than British now. While I've stayed deeply engaged with the country I left 30 years ago, I increasingly feel like it's left me, and I find it harder and harder to recognise. Now I find myself laughing at the misfortunes that Brexit's bringing down on everyone's heads.

Still feels strange to be applying for a French passport though.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2114 on: Thursday, November 3, 2016, 16:55:15 »

Now I find myself laughing at the misfortunes that Brexit's bringing down on everyone's heads
Potential misfortunes potential brilliance
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: