Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2023019 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2055 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:22:17 »

OK. Might check in with you on that front from time to time. Meanwhile, I'm having to go through the faff of getting French nationality, so you lot can abuse me properly. Cheers for that.  Wink

If only Henry V1 hadn't fucked up when becoming King of France as well as England.  He also founded Eton College which gave us Cameron and Osborne.  A lot to answer for.

I always think the world would have been a much more civilised place, if the French could have got cricket.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2056 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:23:53 »

If only Henry V1 hadn't fucked up when becoming King of France as well as England.  He also founded Eton College which gave us Cameron and Osborne.  A lot to answer for.

I always think the world would have been a much more civilised place, if the French could have got cricket.
That would have put a rocket up 'em.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2057 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:24:23 »

Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2058 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:34:30 »

Unfortunately, the Doodlebugs were sent our way from France.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:38:39 »

Unfortunately, the Doodlebugs were sent our way from France.
You know, I'm starting to think you've got a bit of a thing about the French, Reg.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:39:30 »

How happy are you about all the shit that seems to come with Brexit? How chuffed were you that the Brexit lot didn't actually seem to have any plan whatever on how to implement it?
And as someone who voted for them have you signed any of the petitions (or written an email or whatever) asking the Brexit liars to actually keep some of their promises (£350m pw to the NHS was promised vs yet another massive round of cuts, which is what we're actually getting)?

I think there needs to be a distinction made between the official campaign who in my opinion had no interest in leaving the EU and more to do with climbing the greasy Tory pole and genuine Brexiteers who have always had a plan which is increasingly being adopted by May and the government.

The £350 million to NHS figure was always bollocks and had no real impact on the leavers.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:41:26 »

The £350 million to NHS figure was always bollocks and had no real impact on the leavers.
Not for the hardcore like you who'd always wanted to leave maybe, but there's plenty of evidence it had an impact on undecided's. It was a key plank of the Leave campaign propaganda, despite the key figures all trying to distance themselves from it as soon as they realised they might have to deliver on it, and it was just an out and out lie.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 14:44:18 »

I think there needs to be a distinction made between the official campaign who in my opinion had no interest in leaving the EU and more to do with climbing the greasy Tory pole and genuine Brexiteers who have always had a plan which is increasingly being adopted by May and the government.
Really? As far as I can see, May and the government still don't have a plan. Looks to me like they're doing nothing more than mouthing dog whistle racism while treading water and shitting themselves about how they're going to deliver "Brexit means Brexit".

Incidentally, what was the "genuine Brexiteers" plan? Because they kept it awfully quiet during the campaign which seemed to consist of empty platitudes or simple lies.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:35:59 »

Really? As far as I can see, May and the government still don't have a plan. Looks to me like they're doing nothing more than mouthing dog whistle racism while treading water and shitting themselves about how they're going to deliver "Brexit means Brexit".

Incidentally, what was the "genuine Brexiteers" plan? Because they kept it awfully quiet during the campaign which seemed to consist of empty platitudes or simple lies.

A question that I've found myself asking a lot over the last few months is how come advertisers regularly get prosecuted and fined for making patently untrue claims, but politicians just get elected on the back of them. Wouldn't better policing of downright untruths lead to more honest campaigns?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2064 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:41:22 »

Fair enough (again) - I share a lot of your misgivings there. Although you won't have any control at all. Just the UK elite may get some control back from a European elite.

How happy are you about all the shit that seems to come with Brexit? How chuffed were you that the Brexit lot didn't actually seem to have any plan whatever on how to implement it?
And as someone who voted for them have you signed any of the petitions (or written an email or whatever) asking the Brexit liars to actually keep some of their promises (£350m pw to the NHS was promised vs yet another massive round of cuts, which is what we're actually getting)?
I'm quite happy with Bexit so far. I'm not concerned about the lack of a plan as long as we've got one when it comes to negotiations. I'd prefer hard Brexit personally. I'm not concerned by the different opinions on Brexit either. I actually think it healthy as long as we have one voice when it is needed. Also, you dont want to give away your hand before negotiations.
No, I haven't signed any petitions re £350m. i knew the figure was shit but it had no bearing on my decision. There were liars on both sides. Neither side were worthy to conduct the referendum. Cameron and Gideon were total fucking bellends bringing in a cast of 1000 experts who the i electorate ignored.
I think if there was a vote tomorrow the vote to leave would be higher as a lot who were scared to vote leave havn't yet seen the plague of locusts or Wolrd War 3.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:48:28 »

Davis is getting the excuses laid out early doors! https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/04/david-davis-if-brexit-goes-wrong-leave-campaigners
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:49:46 »

A question that I've found myself asking a lot over the last few months is how come advertisers regularly get prosecuted and fined for making patently untrue claims, but politicians just get elected on the back of them. Wouldn't better policing of downright untruths lead to more honest campaigns?
No it wouldn't. But if the penalties were appropriately stiff and it was policed properly it might lead to more politicians in jail and that would be a good thing
There were liars on both sides. Neither side were worthy to conduct the referendum. Cameron and Gideon were total fucking bellends bringing in a cast of 1000 experts who the i electorate ignored.
Completely agree with you there. Johnson, Farage et al should be prosecuted for fraud, but that doesn't mean I was any more enamoured of the arrogant, lazy, dishonest Remain campaign. The whole thing was a new low for British politics.
I think if there was a vote tomorrow the vote to leave would be higher as a lot who were scared to vote leave havn't yet seen the plague of locusts or Wolrd War 3.
Not saying we will see either, but it's very early days yet, we won't see the consequences in full (good or bad) until a few years after we've left.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:51:08 »

There was talk of a test prosecution against, if I recall correctly, Johnson based along the lines of him committing electoral fraud on the basis that he knew he was telling untruths, not sure if that has gone away of just been rolled up in the plethora of cases the government are facing on the legal niceties of the whole shambles.  
Amir

« Reply #2068 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:51:23 »

It's a little difficult to have a plan for a leap into the unknown. That was the risk most people decided to take to be able to leave. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2069 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 15:55:21 »

It's a little difficult to have a plan for a leap into the unknown.
No it's not. People, businesses, governments make plans for uncertain outcomes every day. That's exactly HOW you deal with uncertainty - by planning for what you might do in the event of multiple uncertain outcomes. Not having a plan for such a major "leap into the unknown" is criminally irresponsible.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: