Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022851 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #2025 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 08:03:20 »

The only significant parties showing any kind of unity at the moment are UKIP and the SNP

Very portentous ardiles!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2026 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 08:37:27 »

Quote from: adje
I see the government has overturned the democratic decision to ban fracking in lancashire.So much for May "listening to the people"

You can hardly expect the Tory party to put doing what's right over profit
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2027 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 08:39:53 »

I see the government has overturned the democratic decision to ban fracking in lancashire.So much for May "listening to the people"

Sorry just to step in, I have no idea of the rights and wrongs of fracking, but to clarify it has already been approved in Yorkshire (which suggests there is no accepted 'safety' reason to not allow it) and the Council refused the planning applications on issues of noise and visual amenity, the appeal has overturned this on planning grounds and granted planning permission for the works, much as they overturn refusals for housing developments etc. It will have been considered purely on its planning merits and relationship to adopted national and local planning policy, the fact that loads of people objected is essentially irrelevant if it concurs with adopted planning policy (which the people have plenty of opportunity to comment upon but tend not to as its deadly dull!) - that's the way planning legislation and decision making works.

Dull planning clarification over - continue as you were!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2028 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 08:44:16 »

You can hardly expect the Tory party to put doing what's right over profit

Again dull planning hat on...

The decision will have been made by an a Planning Inspector based on the factors as per my post above, the SoS only rubber stamps it on the advice of civil servants - the fun and games occurs when they go against an Inspectors recommendation as that does suggest political force has been possibly been applied!

Fracking seems to be very much like the badger cull in that its almost impossible to find anything written about it from a neutral viewpoint, its always from someone with an interest either side of the debate and is biased accordingly!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #2029 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 09:51:38 »

All of which may be true but my point is the so called new "listening" govt didnt listen to the views of local people and ignored a perfectly democratic decision

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2030 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:03:06 »

Extreme left hahahhahaha

I had a chuckle at that also.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2031 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:05:44 »

Interesting appointments from Corbyn so far. Abbott and Chakrabati - both loathesome individuals who should switch a few more people off.
Understand the dislike of Abbott but what's Shami Chakrabati done to merit being called "loathsome"?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2032 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:15:34 »

I had a chuckle at that also.

This bit too:
May doing her best to capture the middle ground

Didn't Chalkies vote UKIP at the last election? How's that going then?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2033 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:21:22 »

All of which may be true but my point is the so called new "listening" govt didnt listen to the views of local people and ignored a perfectly democratic decision

That's just the way it is (and has been since the Planning Acts of 1948 - if not earlier!), and from experience of many planning committees they are often not very democratic and merely listen to who shouts at them the most.

In this case the Councils Planning Officers and Legal section advised committee members that the proposal adhered with policy and should be approved and in their opinions would probably be approved at appeal, hence I suggest why the refusal (which some poor planning officer will have had to draft and fight at Appeal despite recommending the scheme for approval) related to noise and visual enmity issues and thus entirely subjective things where at least some argument could be presented.

I suspect the applicant will also get costs off the Council as the application was refused contrary to policy which will be a fair few quid out of the already skint Councils coffers.

The quiche knitters up here are fuming about this!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2034 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:23:52 »

That's just the way it is (and has been since the Planning Acts of 1948 - if not earlier!), and from experience of many planning committees they are often not very democratic and merely listen to who shouts at them the most.

In this case the Councils Planning Officers and Legal section advised committee members that the proposal adhered with policy and should be approved and in their opinions would probably be approved at appeal, hence I suggest why the refusal (which some poor planning officer will have had to draft and fight at Appeal despite recommending the scheme for approval) related to noise and visual enmity issues and thus entirely subjective things where at least some argument could be presented.

I suspect the applicant will also get costs off the Council as the application was refused contrary to policy which will be a fair few quid out of the already skint Councils coffers.

The quiche knitters up here are fuming about this!

Are you relaxed about this because?:
a) due process was followed
b) you're cool with fracking
c) it's not in your back yard
d) all of the above.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2035 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:33:34 »

This bit too:
Didn't Chalkies vote UKIP at the last election? How's that going then?
Pretty well. Commitment to get out of Europe. Job done. No need to vote for them again. Farage should be knighted.
Would normally vote Labour but can't do so at the moment. Might have to wait for the new party to be set up by the Labour dissaffected
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2036 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:45:10 »

Understand the dislike of Abbott but what's Shami Chakrabati done to merit being called "loathsome"?
Just think she's been bought by Corbyn and sold her soul
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2037 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:55:04 »

Pretty well. Commitment to get out of Europe. Job done. No need to vote for them again. Farage should be knighted.
Would normally vote Labour but can't do so at the moment. Might have to wait for the new party to be set up by the Labour dissaffected

OK. Might check in with you on that front from time to time. Meanwhile, I'm having to go through the faff of getting French nationality, so you lot can abuse me properly. Cheers for that.  Wink
« Last Edit: Friday, October 7, 2016, 11:49:36 by Red Frog » Logged

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2038 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 11:15:14 »

Just think she's been bought by Corbyn and sold her soul
On what basis?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2039 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 11:41:34 »

Very portentous ardiles!

Do you know, I'd completely forgotten writing that!  A week is a long time in politics, as someone once said...

The SNP will be the next to blow up then.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: