Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2022317 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #1785 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:09:06 »

Probably another recession
Which has also happened while we were in the EU to be fair.It's the same people predicting it may happen this time isn't it that didn't predict the recent recession.

Not being argumentative just wondering if i am correct in thinking that?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1786 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:25:53 »

Which has also happened while we were in the EU to be fair.It's the same people predicting it may happen this time isn't it that didn't predict the recent recession.

Not being argumentative just wondering if i am correct in thinking that?

Couple of points

a) yes we did go into recession whilst in the EU however in that case it was a world wide recession bought about by the banking crisis, we would have been affected whether we were in or out at that time. The economists did miss it mainly due to complacency that the economic boom would never end.

b) In the case of post Brexit recession, yes economists have predicted it, the self same ones who missed the world wide one of 2008-2012 (ish)however in this case it would essentially be localised and entirely self inflicted, that's why economists can (possibly) be a little more detailed about it.

c) whether one believes it is up to personal opinions and experience, knowing professionally that investment, consumer spending and business hates change and uncertainty (and thus will at best take their ball home in the short term) I reckon it will cause stagnation and possible recession and having been made redundant in the past that scares me both for my keeping the family but also in future years my daughter getting a job etc. Samdy boxed it off fairly well a few pages back?

Ultimately its all down to personal perceptions, interpretations and how one perceives risk anyway.

Edit - but then again why would you listen to me, I don't seem to know what couple means!  Wink
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #1787 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:34:28 »

Ha no i appreciate that and does make sense. Still got a week to decide i suppose so see what happens.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1788 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:35:12 »

I'm not sure I understand the change mallarkey as a reason to stay. If we took that approach we'd never have joined and the EU is continually changing the way we live anyway.
Its interesting to me that those most likely to vote out are those people who can remember what it was like before we joined.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1789 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:58:02 »

Cameron is in Swindon's Euro constituency today....no not another trip to The Sun at Coate, but Gibraltar.

Poor old Gibraltarians....Brexit will make life very difficult for them, as regards border crossing as the Spanish pretty much ignore EU rules anyway.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1790 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 11:18:50 »

I'm not sure I understand the change mallarkey as a reason to stay. If we took that approach we'd never have joined and the EU is continually changing the way we live anyway.
Its interesting to me that those most likely to vote out are those people who can remember what it was like before we joined.

But a large proportion of those also seem to still think we have an empire and only recently ended a war with Germany?
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #1791 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 11:35:18 »

Hopefully i word this correctly.

Has anyone else noticed it seems to be a hell of a lot children of immigrants who seem to be the ones who want to leave because of immigration.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1792 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 11:40:54 »

But a large proportion of those also seem to still think we have an empire and only recently ended a war with Germany?
Or alternatively know we managed to exist without it and could do so again. At least they have a reference point which the younger generations do not have. Nothing to do with empire more with empirical evidence. Its a big wide world out there.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1793 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 11:52:42 »

Or alternatively know we managed to exist without it and could do so again. At least they have a reference point which the younger generations do not have. Nothing to do with empire more with empirical evidence. Its a big wide world out there.

The early 70's were a very different world, no doubt we could survive in time but is it really worth a likely financial shit storm on the off chance and for the sake of saving <1% of yearly government spending (not considering the other matters) and in theory giving sovereignty back to our elected members (if you feel that way), who gave it away in the first place.....

I suppose it all boils down to who you talk to, my old man is in his late 70's and voted to not join in the 1970's, he subsequently lived in France for a bit and is back now and thinks we are insane to even be thinking about leaving. However the other forum I frequent is a heritage/history one when the average user is white Male and 50+ and it is genuinely scary the number who are basing their view on not giving jerry more control and still think that on our own we are a trading country that the world will bend over backwards to accommodate.

Ultimately the only person who can decide is each of us with our own conclusions and conscience for the effect on future generations whichwever way we go.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1794 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:00:40 »

Cameron is in Swindon's Euro constituency today....no not another trip to The Sun at Coate, but Gibraltar.

Poor old Gibraltarians....Brexit will make life very difficult for them, as regards border crossing as the Spanish pretty much ignore EU rules anyway.

The Spanish are going to want to make life very uncomfortable to persuade those pesky Catalans and Basques that its not a good idea!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1795 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:13:15 »

There was a long piece on Radio 4 this morning charting yesterday evening with a group of England fans.  It all started cheerily enough, but descended later on in to twattery, thuggery and songs about German bombers being seen off by 'the RAF from England'.  What was striking was most of the idiots singing it were, apparently, in their early 20s.

#### me...why not go the whole hog and bang on about Agincourt and the Battle of Waterloo?  I found myself quite literally, physically cringing with embarrassment.  It has to be a phenomenon that people will one day write about in text books.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1796 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:46:19 »

There was a long piece on Radio 4 this morning charting yesterday evening with a group of England fans.  It all started cheerily enough, but descended later on in to twattery, thuggery and songs about German bombers being seen off by 'the RAF from England'.  What was striking was most of the idiots singing it were, apparently, in their early 20s.

#### me...why not go the whole hog and bang on about Agincourt and the Battle of Waterloo?  I found myself quite literally, physically cringing with embarrassment.  It has to be a phenomenon that people will one day write about in text books.

What's wrong with banging on about Agincourt and Waterloo?  So the phenonomen you mention is middle class guilt about our history?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1797 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:52:09 »

What's wrong with banging on about Agincourt and Waterloo?  So the phenonomen you mention is middle class guilt about our history?

There is nothing to stop people talking about those battles, its just that many have moved on and realised that in modern terms they are essentially irrelevant - in all the time I have spent in France I have never heard them wittering on about their conquest of England (a victory really worth gloating about!)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1798 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:53:46 »

There is nothing to stop people talking about those battles, its just that many have moved on and realised that in modern terms they are essentially irrelevant - in all the time I have spent in France I have never heard them wittering on about their conquest of England (a victory really worth gloating about!)

Because it wasn't the French...rather a bunch of migrant Vikings.

Unlike England, France didn't exist at the time.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1799 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 12:54:36 »

Because it wasn't the French...rather a bunch of migrant Vikings.
Well, it was the French's fault then. We rely on them to stop migrants at Calais
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: