Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021794 times)
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #1725 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 08:40:49 »

I am not sure what if any thing the ECHR has to do with the EU, are they not separate entities?

In terms of the wider question I think the concern is that if we leave the Tories will have a free reign to do what they like with things like workers rights etc, if we had a credible opposition that would be less of an issue as it could be controlled by parliament, however with the present position where Labour are too busy engaging in a vanity contest whilst waving their appendages around to act in opposition the Tories are doing what they like, the right of the party will be even more confident to essentially do what they like if they believe they have won a mandate of sorts from the country on the EU issue?

Interesting times ahead for all. 

I don't think they would have free reign as we wouldn't lock the gates on the 24th June if the country elected to leave.
Isn't it stated above somewhere it would take two years to be out of it? Therefore they wouldn't be allowed to just make the rules up as they go along, but then again this is Parliament were talking about!
You are spot on about the oppossiton, they are in turmoil currently and it's a pissing contest with them. No real threat to the government, apart from rejecting whatever the govrnment try to through all sulky school girl style. However the Tory party are in a similar situation, in house fighting and then denying it's a leadership challenge, once in/out is decided.
Politics and the constant bickering between sides is so fucking pathetic let the Monarchy rule again.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1726 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 08:46:00 »

I don't think they would have free reign as we wouldn't lock the gates on the 24th June if the country elected to leave.
Isn't it stated above somewhere it would take two years to be out of it? Therefore they wouldn't be allowed to just make the rules up as they go along, but then again this is Parliament were talking about!
You are spot on about the oppossiton, they are in turmoil currently and it's a pissing contest with them. No real threat to the government, apart from rejecting whatever the govrnment try to through all sulky school girl style. However the Tory party are in a similar situation, in house fighting and then denying it's a leadership challenge, once in/out is decided.
Politics and the constant bickering between sides is so fucking pathetic let the Monarchy rule again.

I think I may have mentioned the 2 year thing above as that is what the EU treaty says, however the Brexiters are now saying that they can get round this issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35689435
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #1727 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 08:54:51 »

I think I may have mentioned the 2 year thing above as that is what the EU treaty says, however the Brexiters are now saying that they can get round this issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35689435
It wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to scrap the wind down period, but if they are happy to try and change this policy, what else will they try and change? Easier not to vote at all then I would have a clear conscience if/when either side fucked it up. Splinters are beginning to sharpen in anticipation of my fence sitting  Sad
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1728 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 08:57:40 »

I think you're about to fall off the edge of the planet. But since I can't vote, I'll just have to watch it happen. Then see if I can sort out another passport.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #1729 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 09:05:49 »

I think you're about to fall off the edge of the planet. But since I can't vote, I'll just have to watch it happen. Then see if I can sort out another passport.
Who me?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1730 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 09:32:20 »

Who me?

No, you, like me, are just watching it happen.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #1731 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 09:36:52 »

No, you, like me, are just watching it happen.
I meant falling from the planet?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1732 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 09:58:47 »

I meant falling from the planet?

Oh yeah, that. Yep, you'll be doing that.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1733 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 10:11:38 »

I might be wrong usually am, but wasn't it the UK that introduced minimum wage? Also read somewhere that EU directive is 4 months maternity leave but we allow 12, (again could be I'll informed).
Personally I wish both sides would be open and rather than pick holes in the other's manifest just concentrate on their own and prove they are correct. The trouble is politicians couldn't lie straight in bed, they can't be trusted.
Currently I sit in the out camp having changed from as said earlier up the thread better the devil you know etc, but we don't elect the European Parliament, they impose unrealistic laws on all of Europe such as
Wonky veg,
Too small Kiwi fruit
Party whistle streamers banned for under 14's
Latex balloons not for use under 8 without supervision.
Those UNelected to sit can earn more than our own Prime Minister who we all blame when things go wrong but he has little or no control over.
Do we really pay £368,000,000 each week to Brussels and what do we get back? Yes a rebate agreed in the 80's but still we pay in more than we receive.
Signs on buildings stating that this was built with EU assistance, yet it was our money that we pumped into the EU to start with.
I think for me the icing on the cake was when I was asked the question, if we were voting to join the EU, no control on laws or borders, no help from the government for struggling industry, pay the EU £368,000,000 each week while making savage cuts to our NHS, Police, Military and local councils. Pensions need reducing as they can't be sustained along with welfare cuts. Would you join it?
I know the grass isn't greener on the other side you never know what will happen, but surely we can't go subsidising the failing Eurozone can we?
My view on the referendum has no political allegiance, it is purely my view and opinion for the future of our children.
£368,000,000 per week would go along way to sorting our debt out, improving border security, reduce hospital waiting times by building more and recruiting more staff. Additional police officers, bolster the military again because they are both struggling, and save our industry when it is struggling.
And don't get me started about the bonuses that twat Junker likes to pay himself!

The essential point of the EU and its previous forms, was to try and help create a politically stable Europe, whereby trade rather than conflict could happen. We are a net contributor, along with a few other countries, the thinking being it's cheaper in the long run, in terms of defence spending and economies wrecked by war.

For example when I was a kid there was proper austerity, partly because of continuing post war problems....so defence spending was an eye watering 10% of GDP.  The first new NHS hospital to be built in the country post war in 1960 was PMH, such was the shortage of cash.

A lot would argue now it was never the EU which maintained peace but rather NATO....backing it up by saying the EU eastern expansion and considered accession of Turkey is a massive destabilising factor.

It's a difficult decision....if we get our money back, all well and good but if the EU implodes we'll have to fork out in other ways...

A Trump win in the US, will be interesting as he thinks Europe should pay up for the NATO umbrella surrounding Russia.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1734 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 10:52:26 »

Whilst some reasoned political debate happens on a football forum with the tagline 25% football 80% bollocks, Nigel Farage (Kenneth Connor) on his carry on love boat is being persued down by the Thames by Bob Geldolf (Sid James) shouting 'fuck the fucking referendum give us yer fucking fish' or somehting like that.

In the background Stuart Hall has stopped fiddling with kids long enough to commentate on the most depressing episode of Jeux Sans Frontičres imaginable.

And the populous wept.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1735 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 10:57:41 »

In the background Stuart Hall has stopped fiddling with kids

The late Lib Dem MP, Sir Clement Freud has now been outed as a historical paedo.  Wonder what his grandpa would have made to it?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1736 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 11:13:56 »

Whilst some reasoned political debate happens on a football forum with the tagline 25% football 80% bollocks, Nigel Farage (Kenneth Connor) on his carry on love boat is being persued down by the Thames by Bob Geldolf (Sid James) shouting 'fuck the fucking referendum give us yer fucking fish' or somehting like that.

In the background Stuart Hall has stopped fiddling with kids long enough to commentate on the most depressing episode of Jeux Sans Frontičres imaginable.

And the populous wept.

Oh god, I thought this was an elaborate metaphor, but I see it's happening exactly as you describe.

Fuck me, this is political debate in the social media age. How fucking tinpot.

We're all fucked.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 11:15:45 by Red Frog » Logged

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1737 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 11:17:32 »

And the populous wept.

Jesus when I first read this I thought you were taking the piss!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1738 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 11:26:56 »

The late Lib Dem MP, Sir Clement Freud has now been outed as a historical paedo.  Wonder what his grandpa would have made to it?

As I know you are a stickler for detail Freud left parliament in 1987 and the Lib Dems didn't come into being until 1988?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1739 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 11:36:30 »

Well he was a Liberal Party MP which became the Lib Dems.. So he's not technically wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: