Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Reg Smeeton Memorial Community Engagement Thread  (Read 72264 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 18:25:40 »

Good luck getting an answer.

Well we all know what that feels like eh LL?  Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 19:21:32 »

Just so i get the full picture, can you list all instances of this history please.

Thanks

I've no idea how far you go back, but some of this stuff is relatively recent, for example the banning of fans like Mex, and the whole protest movement to save the club.

Again relatively recent would be TE'ers receiving letters threatening bans for standing in the TE

In the 60's the Supportrers Club used to a have a club house in some huts on the corner of the car park, for pre match beers etc. When the Arkells was built, they were provided with a nice new facility..... turfed out in the 80's.  The 70's and 80's would see arbitary erection of fences and cages, in the TE and on the Shrivenham Road, likewise when the TV gantry which hung on the Shrivenham Road stand was condemned a scaffolding thing was built on the half way line terrace taking up space and blocking the view of where fans had congregated for years.  This would have been late 80's a time also of membership schemes when for example during agame v Oldham 200 Town fans were evicted and had their membership revoked.

Those 80's years were the height of the Fanzine movement to try and point out to authorities and clubs the error of their ways, which led at STFC to efforts to ban match day sales.

Matters did improve somewhat when Fitton and CO stepped in but even they burnt the final bridges to small scale shareholders and effectively binned the AGM's where fans could quiz owners etc.

Of course a lot of this stuff was on a national scale, which led to things like Supporters Direct, a body to improve communications between fans and clubs, which have led to charter requirements, to hold the FL golden share.

Oh and here's another one Rikki's penchant for giving the TE to opposition fans.... to me this game v Shitty is a crime against humanity, presumably you regard it it as wholly reasonable.

See the Town fans ecstatic about Junior Bent's goal....

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19910103
« Last Edit: Monday, January 6, 2020, 19:48:06 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 19:49:09 »

I was thrown out v Oldham, membership card confiscated.
Got home, mentioned it to the then mrs who rang the club and tore them off a strip.
Hillier dropped my ID card round next day

Cant even remember why we got thrown out. Pretty sure everyone I knew thrown out got membership cards back also
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:02:05 »

So now we are expecting Power to right the ills of the football authorities, police & govt for the past 5 decades?  Talk about moving goalposts.

Flashheart

« Reply #94 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:07:26 »

So now we are expecting Power to right the ills of the football authorities, police & govt for the past 5 decades? 

I've still not forgiven him for selling Fjortoft.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:10:53 »

And sacking Andy Rowland.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:25:01 »

And allowing Billy Paynter permission to talk to Leeds before the season ended. That Power is a complete Michael Hunt.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
REDBUCK

« Reply #97 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:29:48 »

So now we are expecting Power to right the ills of the football authorities, police & govt for the past 5 decades?  Talk about moving goalposts.

I thought that would be the case to be honest.

Someone's very precious about loyal supporters.
REDBUCK

« Reply #98 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:31:29 »

And allowing Billy Paynter permission to talk to Leeds before the season ended. That Power is a complete Michael Hunt.

Allowing Macari to pay calderwoods moving expenses and hillier to have a bet, shocking
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 20:48:49 »

Redbuck asked for historic examples, so I gave him some. I know you were about in the orange protest era, but don't particuarly recall you being one of the leading board apologists, perhaps I'm wrong.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 21:09:27 »

Because you responded to a previous post by referencing years of bad stuff occurring, which still has no relevance to whether or not Power's regime is improving with fan & community engagement or not.

On balance, Power's time as our Chairman is still hardly going to go down as a success as things stand - he's taken us down a division, hasn't materially improved us in terms of infrastructure (yet), but I can still objectively see that this past year has been an improvement vs. the ones before it, and that's being nearly 4k miles away.

And yes, I got involved with an Orange Hat, as well as asking questions of Bob Holt at a Fans Forum, for as much worth as that was in the grand scheme of things.  So I know things can be much worse in fact.  I'd not even have batted an eyelid at the non-use of a block in the North Stand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 21:51:46 »

The relevance is that closing down a block of seats and shifting out long standing season ticket holders is of a a piece with previous mistreating of fans. OK relatively minor in the scheme of things but it doesn't look good from the DRS.

I would rather see, for example, a raft of school kids in there on freebies with Davis as a volunteer steward, assuming he'd get the DBS clearance.  Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, January 6, 2020, 23:34:09 »

I would rather see, for example, a raft of school kids in there on freebies with Davis as a volunteer steward, assuming he'd get the DBS clearance.  Wink
Had clearance for the past 8 years, working as a volunteer coach with up to 3 different junior/youth teams at the same time, so no worries there. Some of us walk the walk .....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 08:18:06 »

I tell you what, Harold Fleming would have got considerably more England caps if Power hadn't shot Franz Ferdinand.....
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 09:44:27 »

Lee Power was flying Bill Power's plane that day too
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: