Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Things that make me rage  (Read 6722 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Today at 10:36:18 »

I think passively seeing and reporting is very different to going out looking for people doing illegal things is very different. I approve of the former!
If driver is on their phone for 10 seconds plus at a red light and don't see someone looking through their window with a camera, it's not great and i applaud the po-po for making it easier to report these dangerous drivers

Now that they have introduced new laws to punish death/injury by dangerous cycling it's only a matter of time before registration and insurance will be required to cycle on the roads.  The playing field will be levelled then and there will be a raft of drivers reporting cyclist for cycling with undue care and attention.  Then we will hear a different story no doubt.  I see just as many bad cyclists as i do drivers, especially in the tight roads where we live.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Today at 10:45:30 »

Now that they have introduced new laws to punish death/injury by dangerous cycling it's only a matter of time before registration and insurance will be required to cycle on the roads.  The playing field will be levelled then and there will be a raft of drivers reporting cyclist for cycling with undue care and attention.  Then we will hear a different story no doubt.  I see just as many bad cyclists as i do drivers, especially in the tight roads where we live.
Not before time Berni,  think Bennett needs to get a life.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Today at 11:06:52 »

Bennett has got plenty going on in his life, he is busy trying to make everyone on here a tad less grumpy..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Today at 11:12:53 »

Bennett has got plenty going on in his life, he is busy trying to make everyone on here a tad less grumpy..

He deserves the fan of the season medal, especially his trust work.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Today at 11:16:34 »

And perhaps a cycle rack at the ground. But it's obvious that's a bit beyond the current administration.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Today at 11:20:00 »

Let's not go too far too soon..  a medal would expand his ego too soon, won't be able to get his cycling helmet on Smiley

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Today at 12:22:09 »

Which bit do you take issue with?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Today at 12:31:13 »

Successive governments have looked into the idea, they've all found it unworkable and only good for a soundbite rather than a good policy.
That said registration kinda makes sense, i look forward to Dido Harding setting it up next year.
Do you mean levelled in terms of reporting or outcome? Because nothing stops anyone reporting anything from their dashcam...

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Today at 13:11:19 »

As with so much performative legislation and governance by the present incumbents of no.10 this is all going to come with a shed load of unintended consequences.

Firstly on insurance, those who seem to get the blood pressure raging the most are those wearing lycra, I would suspect that probably 99% of those already have insurance via a multitude of sources (be that personal insurance, membership of a club, membership of Cycling UK, British Cycling etc), what it will absolutely clobber is the bloke riding his bike to work or little Johnny riding his bike to school or wanting to go out and do tricks on his BMX with his mates.

Registration could possibly be a good idea, but considering how many thousands of un registered motors and unlicensed drivers are knocking about (estimated that over a million vehicles are driven uninsured or unlicensed daily on our roads) its just going to vastly increase the burden on a system that just doesn't work as it stand.

Thirdly its gonna lead to a hell of a lot more cyclists having camera's and reporting close passes etc, I don't ride with one now (would have been handy to have had one when the lorry driver who didn't know how long his wagon was hit me and put me on the verge, crushing my hand!) but would sure as dammit be buying one if this half arsed law comes into effect.

An ex traffic copper noted on Twitter the other day that actually if they bring this to the fore it potentially has a side effect that the drop in what would be defined as the "dangerous" charging thresholds to accommodate & make the legislation effective could then see hundreds more drivers jailed, bearing in mind that at present if you hit and kill a pedestrian on a bike (and are found to be at fault) you tend to do jail time (been two in last 12 years, both done time), motorists rarely do so if you are planning to level up the system, its gonna have to go the other way.

Long and short there are shit cyclists and shit drivers, but one are considerably more likley to injure and kill pedestrians so why are we wasting legislative time and money concentrating on the former (this is a rhetorical question, we all know why, its gets column inches inn the Mail and Telegraph and gets the party faithful's juices flowing) rather than using the existing laws better to manage the latter.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Today at 13:29:58 »

Successive governments have looked into the idea, they've all found it unworkable and only good for a soundbite rather than a good policy.
That said registration kinda makes sense, i look forward to Dido Harding setting it up next year.
Do you mean levelled in terms of reporting or outcome? Because nothing stops anyone reporting anything from their dashcam...

Reporting which leads to outcome.  Let's face it, if a lycra clad cyclist reports number plate XXX then they have something to work with, if the driver reports a blue bike with a bloke wearing purple lycra, that could mean anyone of a 1000 cyclists out on the road.  Cyclists are a lot more vocal about when there is an incident because they just take a photo of the number plate, a driver has no chance of getting listened to.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Today at 13:39:26 »

Which bit do you take issue with?
How can you be accused of dangerous driving if you look at your phone for ten seconds at traffic lights ??  You’re not even moving.  Too many people sticking their noses into other people’s business
One man one job,  enough do goodders about,  let the police do what they’re paid for.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Today at 13:46:33 »

Reporting which leads to outcome.  Let's face it, if a lycra clad cyclist reports number plate XXX then they have something to work with, if the driver reports a blue bike with a bloke wearing purple lycra, that could mean anyone of a 1000 cyclists out on the road.  Cyclists are a lot more vocal about when there is an incident because they just take a photo of the number plate, a driver has no chance of getting listened to.

Not sure what lycra has to do with it, but if you report someone to inspector knacker with just a number plate but no photographic evidence they won't even look into it, when that wagon hit me the fuzz didn't even acknowledge the report!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: