Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: childhood hero?  (Read 10153 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 21:05:14 »

Quote from: "sheepshagger"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "Jamiesfuturewife"
My Auntie has a sheep called Peter Thorne because of me  Oops

I used to love Frazer Digby and was in total awe of his wife with her fur coats and Louis Vutton bags  Oops

Tracey....legend for having a punch up with Ross MacClaren's missus.

Tracey - top bird for showing me her tits in the apartment one night a couple of years ago - that was a drunken night !!!

Gotta be the best strikeforce ever to play together on the CG turf in my 37 years.....

Andy and Alan (Rowland and Mayes)

PROPER PROPER LEGENDS !!!

Yes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 21:17:37 »

Quote from: "quinnismyhero"
Shit team ?

Semi Final of the League Cup - Only Andy (the wanker) Gray stopping us from Wembley - 10,000 Swindon fans at Wolves....

Beating Arsenal at the CG in front of 28,000 people - narrowly losing to Spurs the same season in the FA Cup at the CG....

Jimmy Allen in goal, Russell Lewis, Kenny Stroud, Brian Williams, Ian Miller, Ray McHale Huh?

Shitty team ?

No my friend - a very good team - and some great memories !!!

Imho a shit team - a great cup run but that affected our league form and most of those (admittedly good) players had gone by the start of the following season and I thought we were better 79-80 anyway.

Was the start of a very dark period

Not sure how you can grade the 78/79 79/80 sides as shit.....ithe basic 8 or 9 who featured largely in both seasons, would have to be about 6th best STFC side of all time.

Very unlucky and ultimately unsuccessful, but fondly recalled by most fans of the time.

Bob Smith as manager produced a couple of fine attacking sides, the 78/79 side would have gone up if 3 points for a win had been in place. The 79/80 side got caught, a bit like Sheff U recently, on getting inviolved in too many cup games which ultimately cost league form.

Mayes and Rowland scored something like 56 goals between them in 79/80.

The sale of McHale at season's end started the break up of that side soon followed by Alan Mayes.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 21:20:12 »

Peter Noble for me-he could do everything.A couple of years later my mates used to call me "Eastoe",I loved him as well

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 21:36:19 »

Quote from: "adje"
Peter Noble for me-he could do everything.A couple of years later my mates used to call me "Eastoe",I loved him as well

I once went to a party at Noble's house.....the days when the club owned houses, in what is now laughably called in estate agent speak, Old Walcot.

Thick Geordie accent couldn't understand a word he said.
DMR

« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 22:15:47 »

mark walters and scott leitch

more recently parkin and invincibile
quinnismyhero

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 08:17:25 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "quinnismyhero"
Shit team ?

Semi Final of the League Cup - Only Andy (the wanker) Gray stopping us from Wembley - 10,000 Swindon fans at Wolves....

Beating Arsenal at the CG in front of 28,000 people - narrowly losing to Spurs the same season in the FA Cup at the CG....

Jimmy Allen in goal, Russell Lewis, Kenny Stroud, Brian Williams, Ian Miller, Ray McHale Huh?

Shitty team ?

No my friend - a very good team - and some great memories !!!

Imho a shit team - a great cup run but that affected our league form and most of those (admittedly good) players had gone by the start of the following season and I thought we were better 79-80 anyway.

Was the start of a very dark period

Not sure how you can grade the 78/79 79/80 sides as shit.....ithe basic 8 or 9 who featured largely in both seasons, would have to be about 6th best STFC side of all time.

Very unlucky and ultimately unsuccessful, but fondly recalled by most fans of the time.

Bob Smith as manager produced a couple of fine attacking sides, the 78/79 side would have gone up if 3 points for a win had been in place. The 79/80 side got caught, a bit like Sheff U recently, on getting inviolved in too many cup games which ultimately cost league form.

Mayes and Rowland scored something like 56 goals between them in 79/80.

The sale of McHale at season's end started the break up of that side soon followed by Alan Mayes.

I agree actually Reg.  I just remember 79/80 being a total anticlimax and my other main memories are of Cockerill and Peach, which is probably where my "shit" radar got caught.

I also meant to say that the 78/79 team was better and not 79/80 - was a great season
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 08:15:48 »

And then came Charlie Henry -Legend!
quinnismyhero

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 08:26:34 »

Quote from: "Charlie Henry"
And then came Charlie Henry -Legend!

And wan't he just?
mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 08:59:29 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
mark walters and scott leitch

more recently parkin and invincibile

Walters step-over used to throw me. sat in the stand. Brilliant.
Red-Pilf

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 09:23:18 »

Duncan Shearer!! Legend!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #85 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 09:30:12 »

I was also never unhappy to see Steve Foley and Fitzroy Simpson on the team sheet either!
quinnismyhero

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 09:32:15 »

Quote from: "adje"

Im too young to remember Noble for STFC although I remember him as a a grumpy old twat playing for Burnley in the mid '70's
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #87 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 10:02:29 »

I forgot about mark walters, he was fucking ace!! also I quite liked george ndah, though he's not quite hero status worthy.
kaufman

« Reply #88 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 12:20:14 »

Alan mcloughlin for me as he was the centre of everything during 89/90

scored 17 goals that season from midfield.

And after basically scoring the winner at wembley he got the call into the rep of ireland italia 90 squad.

Was the first swindon player i ever saw play in a world cup.

Also got to meet him when he and ross mclaren were signing autograph's at trents/beaties upstairs Cheesy  which is now The Bedroom

still see him around town now and is always friendly.

The guy was my hero
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 12:32:46 »

The first team I really remember was in the Walters/Ndah/Onuora/Hay/Gooden/Digby era

Out of those, Digby and Walters were pure class. Since then I would have to say Parkin is the player I turned up wanting to watch every week.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: