Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camping  (Read 4294 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:00:52 »

I popped down to the New Forest on Sunday for two nights camping (after buying a new tent etc). I couldn't have wished for a better start, it pee'd down on Sunday night, and because I couldn't push the pegs into gravelled pitch area I chose the soft grass area under two large oak trees. It crossed my mind in the middle of the night, as the wind got up, I had this image of me being pinned to the floor by a huge oak branch whilst the water level rose around me. The second night I was kept awake by two screech (Tawny) owls who sounded as though they were about 5 yards away; followed by a dawn chorus that sounded like it was in my tent. I got covered in oak leaves, twigs, mud, various bugs and insects, spiders (managed to avoid walking in horse dung).

Loved it.....can't wait to go again.  Smiley
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:08:25 »

Love the New Forest.lived there for a while as a kid.
Incredible how much darker it is there at night...............pitch black.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:30:41 »

Haven't been camping for atleast 10 years, the last time I went a fucking great big dog pissed on my tent.
Although there's something to be said for the feeling of being in a sleeping bag, inside a tent when it's lashing down, kinda gives you a warm, cozy feeling.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:44:45 »

Haven't been camping for atleast 10 years, the last time I went a fucking great big dog pissed on my tent.
Although there's something to be said for the feeling of being in a sleeping bag, inside a tent when it's lashing down, kinda gives you a warm, cozy feeling.

Are you still talking about the dog  Huh?
Doore

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:48:12 »

I love camping.  Me and my superior half go (or went, before she was with child) very often.  New Forest is great, Forest of Dean is superb, but my favourite so far is Pembrokeshire - it's a stunning part of the country. 

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:56:00 »

I was thinking about walking the Ridgeway and camping.it'll probably stay at thought,but its a nice thought

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 19:59:46 »

I love camping.  Me and my superior half go (or went, before she was with child) very often.  New Forest is great, Forest of Dean is superb, but my favourite so far is Pembrokeshire - it's a stunning part of the country. 

I've done loads of camping down the years....best sort is just sticking your tent up anywhere, well with a bit of thought....if that's inconvenient, I always try for a micro campsite.

Taking kids camping is also great, but the downside is the amount of kit you need, before kids, I could get everything I needed in a rucksack or bike panniers, after kids it was more like a military operation.

Highlights too numerous to mention, but the Shetland Islands were interesting from the survival viewpoint  Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:12:46 »

I fucking hate camping, at least in this country which is all I have to go on.

As a kid it was the only type of holiday we could afford really. And it was crap. Crap Nights sleep. Waking up at stupid O'Clock felling crap and damp. Trying to boil water for a cup of tea with a shitty calor gas stove. crap. Shitty shower blocks with a 50/50 chance of hot water a mere mile away over freezing ground. Its all crap.

Being in the cub/scouts camping was just as shit  an experience.

Getting older and a camping tour of Scotland. Crap.

These days slumming it is a static caravan as a minimum.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:36:47 by Batch » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:28:22 »

It's got better over here the last few years, but we are still miles behind France, they have superb facilities and sites on the whole.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:40:41 »

I've only ever camped at Glastonbury and Oxegen. Oh, and once in a layby near Eindhoven on the way home from the England v Portugal game in WC 2006. That was fun...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:51:16 »

It's got better over here the last few years, but we are still miles behind France, they have superb facilities and sites on the whole.

What's the point of going if you need all those facilities....the best camping is the most basic, small tent...stream...small burner for a brew and fry up, and a pub within reasonable stumbling distance.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:53:19 »

What's the point of going if you need all those facilities....the best camping is the most basic, small tent...stream...small burner for a brew and fry up, and a pub within reasonable stumbling distance.

Had these Reg (more of a pond than a stream thanks to Sunday nights downpour)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 20:57:39 »

Had these Reg (more of a pond than a stream thanks to Sunday nights downpour)

Bound to happen from time to time....but usually not too serious, although of course it can be. Did you dig a trench to take the run off?  Does work..
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 21:00:48 »

Nah, I was lucky it was the other side of the track. More luck than judgement where I pitched the tent. It was great to hear the heavy rain and howling wind and be tucked up in my new sleeping bag feeling cozy.  Cloud 9
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 21:03:11 »

The closest I've come to camping was sleeping in a caravan in Telemark when it was -15C outside. Kirk Douglas ain't got shit on me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: