Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 87949 times)
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 12:54:55 »

The oven of Spain as it's known, I believe it will hit 45 on Thursday in Sevilla, tell them to check out a little town just outside called santiponce, has the second biggest Roman amphitheatre after Rome, also was where game of thrones was filmed if they like their dragons

Lovely place, I went last September. Hotel with some sort of pool was a good idea as well, can’t imagine doing that heat without it
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 12:58:55 »

Sevilla is a lovely city. Been a couple of times.
Very hot, but it's a dry heat so still ok for walking around etc.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 13:17:25 »

Off to Lisbon in a few weeks, anyone been and gave any recommendations?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 13:26:12 »

We've done a weekend in Lisbon. I can't remember specifics, but the Port tasting in the Time out market is recommended. It's a great city to wander around in. Get the Santa Justa lift and potter around, before wandering back down the old cobbled streets

https://www.lisbon.net/santa-justa-lift#:~:text=The%20Santa%20Justa%20Lift%20as%20a%20tourist%20attraction&text=Since%20it%20was%20opened%20to,only%20take%2015%20people%20down.

It goes without saying the food and drink/wine will be excellent and as it's Portugal, very good value. Don't forget a trip on the Tram!

Enjoy.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 13:40:51 »

Went there a couple weeks ago coincidentally. Beer and sangria very cheap, cocktails a bit more on the spenny side. Most of it is walkable, if you have the time then definitely do a day trip over to Sintra, we did a guided one which handled the transport between each area to save having to sort that yourself (it’s walkable if you don’t mind some hiking) or you can get a train over.

Ubers were very cheap.

If you do the stadium tours then keep in mind they’re guided so only go at certain times.

Great place though, do a couple rooftop bars/restaurants around sunset time as well. The Sky Bar by Seen was good.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 18:13:59 »

Anyone been to Cebu in the Phillipines?

Brother is getting married there next year.

Whats the climate like, cheap to eat and drink?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 08:28:14 »

Not been to Biarritz mate but I've been to San Seb and Bilbao {both pretty close to one another}. Pamplona not far and definitely worth a mooch if you want to look at the history of the ''Bull Run'' too. Oh and whilst your around the lower slopes of the Pyrénées you might as well take in the Cirque Gavarnie hiking trail for a day {might be a smidge far but plenty of trails near Pau}. There you go, San Seb for Beach and cocktails {Take the Funicular up Monte Igueldo overlooking the bay is worth it for the view and also ride some bumper cars whilst you're up there Cheesy}, Lower Pyrénées to get the heart pumping and yet more gorgeous views; soak up some culture and maybe some wine in Pamplona; it's a very old city but incredibly quaint - regardless of opinion on Spain's most famous form of entertainment. Enjoy fella.

Not long back from Biarritz including a day trip to San Sebastien.  Have you say your tip about getting the Funiculur up to Monte Igueldo was top notch. Breathtaking views up there. We didn't go on the bumper cars but did do the little boat thing that goes a tiny bit along the side. Very quaint.

We lucked out timing wise, we picked the 31st August for the day trip which just happened to be the anniversary of the siege of San Sebastian when the English and Portuguese troops 'liberated' the city from the French. For some reason after beating the French they burnt a lot of the city down, not totally sure why, apparently a mixture of drunkenness and anger from losing so many of their own troops. Anyway, on the 31st August every year the city is awash with Basque culture, traditional sport is played, boat races and a re-enactment of that battle on 31st August 1813 - the seige of San Sebastien. At 21.30 all the city lights are turned off and people light candles in a silent reflection of that grim day when fire ravaged the city. We managed to find a superb table at a popular bar where we could watch everything. Absolutely superb.

What I didn't expect was to find the weather quite as hot in England as it was over there! A bonus however!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 10:06:51 »

Off to Tenerife on Saturday for 2 weeks, my 14th consecutive annual trip to the sun blessed island. No I don’t like change!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 11:42:46 »

Anyone been to Cebu in the Phillipines?

Brother is getting married there next year.

Whats the climate like, cheap to eat and drink?

Humid and hot.  If you go the right places it can be very cheap - I used to have to approve expenses for people who traveled there and it was silly.
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Sunday, September 10, 2023, 16:16:43 »

First night in Lisbon and the Sangria & Tapas have already been sampled (and very nice they are too), however we’ve left a heatwave & arrived to drizzle.

The saving grace is I’ve had a message from Son who has said they’ve got torrential rain & near hurricane force winds at home
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: Sunday, September 10, 2023, 16:24:15 »

there was a massive band of heavy rain that only grazed Swindon. it's sunny and 25.

just getting that in before the reset next week where we switch from moaning about the heat to moaning about the rain/getting colder/dark early
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Friday, September 22, 2023, 08:04:21 »

Lisbon was really good, would definitely recommend, probably not good if you have little ones in tow as it’s very hilly.

Americans always get a bad rap being tourists (usually deserved to be fair) but their twatishness pales when compared to fucking cockneys.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Friday, September 22, 2023, 08:13:26 »

Lisbon was really good, would definitely recommend, probably not good if you have little ones in tow as it’s very hilly.

Americans always get a bad rap being tourists (usually deserved to be fair) but their twatishness pales when compared to fucking cockneys.

If you enjoyed Lisbon, you should also give Porto a try. We've done both and thought Porto edged it. I think for quality of food, wine, value for money, weather etc it's tough to beat Portugal for a European break in my opinion. The Douro valley was simply stunning too.

Glad you had a good time PR.

UTR

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Friday, September 22, 2023, 08:17:46 »

If you enjoyed Lisbon, you should also give Porto a try. We've done both and thought Porto edged it. I think for quality of food, wine, value for money, weather etc it's tough to beat Portugal for a European break in my opinion. The Douro valley was simply stunning too.

Glad you had a good time PR.

Definitely need to do more of Portugal. We’ve done mostly Spain (Seville and Barca are top 2 all timers for me) and Lisbon this year was our first time in Portugal. Haven’t done any of Italy yet either.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Friday, September 22, 2023, 08:31:46 »

Definitely need to do more of Portugal. We’ve done mostly Spain (Seville and Barca are top 2 all timers for me) and Lisbon this year was our first time in Portugal. Haven’t done any of Italy yet either.

Can't really go wrong with Spain either to be fair, i've done Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid and San Sebastian in mainland Spain and would recommend each of them. I love the 'Tapas' food sharing culture, and the weather is usually great.

I've not done a lot of Italy either, only a wedding in the Amalfi region, which was stunning but sat in a suit in 35 degree sun with no shade followed by a walk up a load of steps to the reception was a memory that lives long. Cracking food and scenery though. Went to Milan as a kid but remember nothing about it.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: