Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 133042 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1485 on: Friday, April 5, 2024, 16:28:03 »

Our most successful managers of the last 40 years have been ex international players in their first managerial role. I, therefore propose Theo Walcott!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1486 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 10:04:38 »

Our most successful managers of the last 40 years have been ex international players in their first managerial role. I, therefore propose Theo Walcott!
I agree but the thing is we had Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle, McMahon, Di Canio (B international) who all worked great as managers in their first role after finishing at the very top.

But each of those times they were appointed, excepting Macari probably, we were a far better proposion for a young aspiring managers. Ardiles, McMahon and Hoddle all took over when we were near our peak and Di Canio took us over in our first season back in Div 4.

Macari took us over after a couple of years languishing in Div 4 and transformed us in 2 seasons leading to our rise up the leagues.

Any new manager would look at us and TBH be utterly mad to consider coming here after the debacle of Morris's tenure and broken promises to him etc.

If we are sold then I am sure whoever does buy us would have his own man lined up ready to take over as manager and have a decent backroom team with him.

Thats something we have badly lacked in the last few years, probably since Di Canio who was the last manager to have a fully funded coaching/medical staff behind him.

As for an ex player, I have no need or urge to have an ex player in charge of us but if one does become available then fine, but I would not seek one specifically.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1487 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 10:27:30 »

How many ex internationals take a first managerial role in league 2 these days? Even without the club being a nut job

They generally don't need the cash or the aggro.

I know it was probably tongue in cheek but it does come up every now and again.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1488 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 13:56:49 »

How many ex internationals take a first managerial role in league 2 these days? Even without the club being a nut job

They generally don't need the cash or the aggro.

I know it was probably tongue in cheek but it does come up every now and again.

How many of them even take managerial jobs these days?

Now a days if they are sensible they earn enough from their playing day anyway & even if they didn’t they can easily get a nice cushy secure job talking shite on sky Sports and/or all the other channels available.

I mean David Prutton presents EFL stuff for Sky whilst sat on a sofa - which is still more movement & energy than I ever saw him exert on the pitch for us.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1489 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 13:58:47 »

That’s the thing there’s more media outlets these days.

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1490 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 14:04:17 »

It was a frivolous suggestion

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1491 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 14:18:19 »

That’s the thing there’s more media outlets these days.

Not just that - more backroom jobs that keep them in football, in jobs but out of the pressure cooker.

30 year ago your post playing options were basically Manager, Assistant Manager, Reserve team manager or Youth team manager (and 30 years we had ex players with no qualifications in all those roles)

…which is why on a slight tangent I’d be interested to know what % of back room jobs are filled by black ex pros because we always see the fact there is a low % of black managers but maybe the black ex pros like other ex pros are filling these other jobs.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 14:30:04 by DiV » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1492 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 14:26:09 »

Not just that - more backroom jobs that keep them in football, in jobs but out of the pressure cooker.

30 year ago your post playing options were basically Manager, Assistant Manager, Reserve team manager or Youth team manager (and 30 years we had ex players with. I qualifications in all those roles)

…which is why on a slight tangent I’d be interested to know what % of job room jobs are filled by black ex pros because we always see the fact there is a low % of black managers but maybe the black ex pros like other ex pros are filling these other jobs.

Good post. Also it’s noticeable that ex players aren’t interested in becoming referees.

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1493 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:12:00 »

Good post. Also it’s noticeable that ex players aren’t interested in becoming referees.

Age limit, isn't there? Unless you retire early it's pointless.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1494 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:16:58 »

Age limit, isn't there? Unless you retire early it's pointless.

It used to be 48 but no limit now.
https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/EPL/EPL-referee-Mike-Dean-says-he-does-not-fear-bad-publicity/2189961#:~:text=%22The%20retirement%20age%20of%20a,focus%20will%20be%20on%20that.%E2%80%9D

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1495 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:28:29 »

Even 48 is older than I thought it was
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1496 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:34:51 »

It’s a thankless job tho🤣

So, give no fucks
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1497 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:42:47 »

Looking at the way players treat referees sometimes, would you want to put yourself on the receiving end of the vitriol you used to dish out?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1498 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:44:27 »

Looking at the way players treat referees sometimes, would you want to put yourself on the receiving end of the vitriol you used to dish out?

Imagine Roy Keane as a referee😁

So, give no fucks
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1499 on: Saturday, April 6, 2024, 15:45:10 »

Imagine Roy Keane as a referee😁

He'd get arrested for violent conduct after a captain asked him to explain a decision.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: