Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 133031 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:43:13 »

I also felt the addition of Louie Barry really helped with regards to be being a bit quicker and more attacking but don’t think many rated him…

…but that’s all ancient history now
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 11:07:20 »

I don’t think we’ll get much better than Gunning given our current plight. He’s shown that he can beat teams with crap defences and we’ve become a bit better defensively. For me the new manager is irrelevant until the owners go and we get in a bunch of players good enough for L2 promotion.

I would argue we have become a bit better defensively because of McCarthy, and FBT returning to fitness. It wouldn't matter who was in charge, McCarthy was a huge upgrade.

You could make a similar argument for the beating crap teams. While Young/Kemp were better, we have the numbers/freshness to make a difference now that flynn didnt have.

So i'm honestly not sure what we can put down to Gunning. There is less tippy tappy (though there has been more in the last 2 games) and its been more direct, (which a lot of our fans seem to value), but outside of that i don't see that much has changed honestly.

Gunning = not the answer
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 11:24:22 »

McCarthy is indeed a huge upgrade but not sure he’d have copied massively better than Brewitt did in a back 3 with over lapping centre backs leaving him exposed & isolated
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1308 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 11:42:53 »

I would argue we have become a bit better defensively because of McCarthy, and FBT returning to fitness. It wouldn't matter who was in charge, McCarthy was a huge upgrade.

You could make a similar argument for the beating crap teams. While Young/Kemp were better, we have the numbers/freshness to make a difference now that flynn didnt have.

So i'm honestly not sure what we can put down to Gunning. There is less tippy tappy (though there has been more in the last 2 games) and its been more direct, (which a lot of our fans seem to value), but outside of that i don't see that much has changed honestly.

Gunning = not the answer
This for me too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 11:43:15 »

McCarthy is indeed a huge upgrade but not sure he’d have copied massively better than Brewitt did in a back 3 with over lapping centre backs leaving him exposed & isolated

Its a fair point, but you could argue even with the crazy attacking CB's, we normally had 2 holding midfield players (Khan/Kinsella) and just the one joining the attack (Kemp). Where as we these days we just have the 1 number 6 (gunnings term) in Khan, the rest are all gung ho join the attack players.

So difficult to say, one way or the other.

My gut feel is i don't think Gunning has made any real difference to point accumulation across his spell so far.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 12:14:25 »

For me the new manager is irrelevant until the owners go and we get in a bunch of players good enough for L2 promotion.
That may well be true unfortunately.

I don't disagree that the football was slow under Garner, but I think it kinda had to be with the squad we had - we just had no cover for any forward position.
I don't wholly agree there, simply because we did pick up when we had to at the end of the season and "go for it".

Egbo was a quick fix (but I'd want Hunt over him for the season) and McKirdy hit the form of his life. So yeah that helped.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 12:42:58 »

It’s interesting that Gav has got 10 points from his 8 games this season, and Flynn managed 16 in the first 8 games of the season.

Flynn’s problems came when things stopped working & injuries started to bite, so will be interesting how Gav copes if it all starts going pear shaped.

You could argue that Gav has the better defensive options, whereas Flynn had Young & Kemp
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 12:59:37 »

It’s interesting that Gav has got 10 points from his 8 games this season, and Flynn managed 16 in the first 8 games of the season.

Flynn’s problems came when things stopped working & injuries started to bite, so will be interesting how Gav copes if it all starts going pear shaped.

You could argue that Gav has the better defensive options, whereas Flynn had Young & Kemp

10 points from 8, gets you 57/58 points across a season, which is about enough to finish 17th!

New managers are supposed to have a bounce, yet there has been none.

I'm very much in the Gunning isn't the answer camp, but rightly that depends on the question. I can't help but believe he is still a Clem stooge given him lingering around over the last 2 years which doesn't help my perception.

I don't have much hope for any change though.

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:03:29 »

This.

GG had the support of a january transfer window and a much bigger and better depth of squad that the vast majority of flynns tenure.

In the last game GG had glatzel, rhm, austin, mceachran, elbouzedi and brewitt as options off the bench.

the week before flynn was sacked he had mceachran, genesini, dworzak, aguiar, hart, obodo and evans on the bench.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:04:53 »

I'm very much in the Gunning isn't the answer camp, but rightly that depends on the question.

Question might be who is the cheapest possible option. In which case means he is the answer.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:24:14 »

10 points from 8, gets you 57/58 points across a season, which is about enough to finish 17th!

New managers are supposed to have a bounce, yet there has been none.

I'm very much in the Gunning isn't the answer camp, but rightly that depends on the question. I can't help but believe he is still a Clem stooge given him lingering around over the last 2 years which doesn't help my perception.

I don't have much hope for any change though.

We’ve definitely picked up post Flynn.
Not the greatest new manager bounce ever seen but there has been improvement
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:40:38 »

Gunning brings a divide in the fan base, some wont be fussed if he gets the job others (myself included) don't want him to get the job.

I've not seen anything so far from Gunning that suggests he would be the right one to get us up the table and push for a play off, he looks a cheap option, and his tactics at time seem questionable seemingly thinking 4 strikers on the pitch will get you the goals and 3 pts.

The issue I see though is that so far Clem has not proved he can appoint a competent manager, that is where I struggle.

Personally I'd like to see someone young that has been around the game coaching at a few clubs, or even someone like Wellens that went into a club and failed but has learnt from the experience, I've no problem Austin on the coaching staff but he needs to get his badges and coaching experience before he can be considered.

It needs to be someone that can unite a fan base and bring some football but knows how to setup tactics.
iParadise

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:51:34 »

The Harrogate game was quite worrying in terms of Gunning. I saw a team that didn't really know what they were doing. The tactical awareness was pretty much none-existent. There was no patterns of play, no triangles, corners were a mess and god knows what was going on with those subs... I want Gunner to succeed but I'm not sure he will. I'd be very surprised if he does get offered the job but he probably will if Clem's still here in the summer. Honestly, I'd take Garner back over Gunning. (of course in an ideal world I'd have neither, but I'd trust the team more in Garners hands than Gunnings)
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 13:55:02 by iParadise » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 14:09:12 »

There's been games where Gunning has made tactical changes and they've improved us, and others where he's made very strange decisions. I don't think you could accuse him of not trying anything or being flexible, but equally I can see why people might see that as someone just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks.

He's not my dream manager, but I don't think anyone will do markedly better unless the wider footballing structure of the club changes.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 14:14:40 »

We’ve definitely picked up post Flynn.
Not the greatest new manager bounce ever seen but there has been improvement

Less of a bounce and more a soft landing.  He has simplified the game, which has made us less likely to cause ourselves problems.  The flip side to that is looking toothless, or just plan rudderless in some games, or even portions of games.

I have no issue with simplifying the game at this level, but the squad is terrible and the Gunning approach seems to be to chuck 11 players on the field and shout a lot from the sidelines to them about what to do.  No offence to him, but that's not much more than I can muster with Rec League kids here.  I get a sense it will not be an approach that is sustainable, results wise, over the long term.

I still prefer him to Flynn, and Lindsey.  I really couldn't decide if Morris was truly shit or just in a huff.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: