Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 133063 times)
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:00:09 »

Does anyone know what the worst record a manager  had before he was sacked? Surely in this day and age Flynn must be very close to having the worse ever record!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:02:27 »

As usual, Rich Banyard's your man. Flynn is still miles clear of Morris, Hart and Sheridan, but not many others - just Gorman, Quinn and Todd. Behind Iffy.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Managers.asp
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:07:12 »

As usual, Rich Banyard's your man. Flynn is still miles clear of Morris, Hart and Sheridan, but not many others - just Gorman, Quinn and Todd. Behind Iffy.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Managers.asp
Worst of all in terms of goals against though, worst even than Gorman and this is in the bottom tier. Conceding more than 2 a game on average at this level is embarrassing.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:08:04 »

Which Flynn % is correct Cheesy

So, give no fucks
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:41:15 »

Worst of all in terms of goals against though, worst even than Gorman and this is in the bottom tier. Conceding more than 2 a game on average at this level is embarrassing.

Gorman doesn't even make this list of the worst ever PL managers  Cheesy

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/the-32-worst-ever-premier-league-managers/ss-AA1m698P?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=7ee06aa5294e4006956153d751c1d837&ei=62#image=1
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 16:37:36 »

Which Flynn % is correct Cheesy

One is win percentage, one is % of total points available I believe, Flynn has quite a lot of draws relatively speaking.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 12:50:50 »

The thing that I liked about the Flynn appointment initially was that I thought from watching his Newport/Walsall teams and his experience in this division, he’d look at our squad and immediately bring in a few big, league two cloggers through the spine of the team to compliment the powderpuff players we had. Some middle ground between our technical but weak as piss squad and the physicality and structure of his Newport/Walsall teams would be very balanced.

Then within a couple days his quotes in the media about his perceived long ball playing style hinted that he was intent on going the other way and total football here to prove himself as capable of that which sadly wasn’t what we needed more of.

Not saying we needed to go full physicality and long ball but add in a couple of strong CB’s and midfielders who can defend and a physical forward (which I think he did try to get to be fair to him) and you’re half way there in this division. Teams manage to get around the promotion spots just by being defensively structured well and disciplined, add a few of our technical players in on top and you’re in a good spot.

Although I guess you can counter all of that by mentioning how our more technical squad ripped a hole through his Walsall team.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 13:14:45 »

It always amazes me how football has changed, though doesn't surprise.

1902 (Allen) - 1984 (Beamish), 14 managers in 82 years ( 5.86 years per manager)
1984 (Macari) - 2008 (Malpas), 14 managers, in 24 year (1.71 years per manager)
2008 (Wilson) - 2023 (Flynn), 15 managers in 15 years (1 years per manager)

[2017 (Flitcordt) - 2023 (Flynn), 8 managers in 6 years (0.75 years per manager)]

Ok there are some years we had 2 managers at the start/end that I didn't count...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 13:22:37 by Batch » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 13:29:52 »

The subtlety here is if a manager and results are crap he should be sacked regardless. What you can’t do is use chopping and changing being bad or needing stability as an excuse to keep a poor manager, that is actually far worst than constantly chopping and changing as you are almost sealing in your demise.

Ultimately Flynn is likely to oversee our lowest ever points total and possibly finish in the bottom tier, if that occurs there should be no question of him losing his job regardless of excuses. He should immediately be out of the door.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 13:36:37 »

Emperor Flynn has no clothes. His approach has been laid bare and we can see it for what it is. Even with a free rein and a healthy budget he hasn’t got what it’d take to assemble a squad that can perform - especially defensively.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:00:48 »

If Jody Morris is the wrong type of appointment (premier league and player development creds) and Michael Flynn is also wrong (lower league experience and has got out of L2 before) then who is the right type of appointment?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:03:22 »

Wellens
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:06:16 »

If Jody Morris is the wrong type of appointment (premier league and player development creds) and Michael Flynn is also wrong (lower league experience and has got out of L2 before) then who is the right type of appointment?

Nobody is.

I honestly think who the manager is a much of a muchness at this level. Any success we've had has been attributed to the quality of the squad with a small amount from the manager.

Wellens promotion team - large budget to try and get promotion (as Wellens has said in interviews). Squad included Yates, Doyle, Grant and Benda - brilliant spine of a team

Put Wellens in charge of this squad and I don't think we'd be much better off, maybe marginally so.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:07:38 »

Well, yeah. But Wellens putting together his own squad would get us out of L2.
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:09:38 »

Wellens

I'd say Wellens was backed (in the first season and his record wasn't great at Oldham before) whereas Flynn hasn't been backed- but in any case, Flynn has lost it and needs to go

It's a real sh*tty environment for any manager to do well, I'd see most struggling here tbh
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: