Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: does anyone else still buy CDs?  (Read 3743 times)
Dazzza

« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 15:32:04 »

I still purchase CD’s but have no CD player either.

I think its part magpie mentality.   I’ve rarely paid for an MP3 download and don’t associate them with actually “owning” the music.  Sure I’ll download new stuff, give it a whirl and even pay for it for convenience.   But if it’s a winner it gets purchased on CD and even if it’s only mildly cock twitching I’ll usually give it a purchase at some point.  More likely if it’s spotted on offer.

Although I have no discernable taste in music, it jumps from all sorts of genres and eras,  I still like the little rituals of owning music that I’d describe as similar to having a sociable smoke over a beverage or eight.  The CD case, the inlay, filing it away in some sort of personalised anal system, having it on display so people can peruse your collection and see what your tastes are (in my case none or disturbing at best) and even the physical act of loaning out CD’s and sharing music.  Ok you can burn and email MP3’s but it’s just not the same!

Finally the elitist perspective is that any gibbon can download 250GB of music from Torrents but actually owning the music on CD shows a discerning choice, quality and statement of sorts even if it is Aqua.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #31 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 18:02:53 »

My place of work halved their CD stock this year but the big names still shift loads.

Oasis sold a shit load today and Kings of Leon are still doing well. Even Bette Midler's still selling!

... I've got my stick ready to fend off the old folks when Daniel O'Donnell releases his usual Christmas album.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 14:24:28 »

Where is the cheapest place to down load musci these days, I used to use a russian website but they started insisting you had to load money upfront into an account and I only want an album now and again - there must be cheap download sites that make it cheaper than buying the CD ?
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, October 24, 2008, 21:03:09 »

Just had a real blast from the past delivered today, to replace an old album I have on vinyl - In Evil Hour by the Room. Really brilliant album, I'll get a chance to listen to it in the car on the way to the match tomorrow.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: