Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forest Green Rovers v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 66203 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:00:16 »

They didn’t deserve that, Yates miss in the first half on the stroke of half time was the turning point. Hunt struggled defending second half.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:07:27 »

They were always going to come on to us 2nd Half. Although we did allow them to do so at times too. Not the end of the world but 0-2 up and the amount of chances is encouraging to a degree. We could easily have had 6.

What is odd, we played better today (1st half) than the last two games yet have dropped points. We nearly won ugly in the end but the Swede Stockers persisted and they could've scored before that. Still lucky bastards though.

Feels like a loss but when all is said and done, these are the kind of matches you need to get through with something. It helps that bar Crewe, everyone else around us lost/drew.

Bit of perspective. 9pts separates Town from Colchester in 8th. From Plymouth (9th) down to Oldham (19th), 11 teams are separated by 9pts.

Keep on keeping on.  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:09:11 »

Though in some ways it doesn’t really matter, it is ridiculous now that we STILL haven’t beaten a top ten team all season!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:13:11 »

Though in some ways it doesn’t really matter, it is ridiculous now that we STILL haven’t beaten a top ten team all season!

It would have been good to have put that to bed today.... but it continues to raise doubts.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:14:52 »

I actually think this game shows why that happens. We count on making so many chances that we overwhelm the lesser teams, but regularly offer openings at the back - we never fall deep and shut up shop. Even when we're holding a slim lead, we still try and keep the ball well up the pitch so teams with a little more talent get their chances to play through us.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:32:53 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
REDBUCK

« Reply #290 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:18:41 »

I actually think this game shows why that happens. We count on making so many chances that we overwhelm the lesser teams, but regularly offer chances at the back - we never fall deep and shut up shop. Even when we're holding a slim lead, we still try to make chances and keep the ball well up the pitch so teams with a little more talent get their chances to play through us.

So 1224 wet people shouting 'out,' out' are wrong obviously
REDBUCK

« Reply #291 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:19:22 »

It would have been good to have put that to bed today.... but it continues to raise doubts.

Only if you're miserable enough to let it
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:21:38 »

So 1224 wet people shouting 'out,' out' are wrong obviously

What? If you want a fight go out and get drunk.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:21:48 »

Carlisle 9th/10th & Cambridge 8th. Salford were 11th. If you include top 12 there is another but at least 2 wins. Also we have draws with Exeter, Numb and FGR. So don't forget, that affects their stats too.

So really although it could be better (always can be better) the continued bollocks about not beating teams in the top 12 (or even 10) is indeed a load of bollocks Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:25:22 »

What doubt's Reg, We're top of the league. Is glass still half empty ?
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:27:59 »

FFS, are we not allowed any positivity at this club? Yes, the late equaliser is gutting but who cares that we haven’t beat any of the top seven? Clearly doesn’t have much of an impact considering we’re top of the league. Some people need to stop waiting for us to slip up, or something bad to occur and just get behind this side.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:33:33 »

What doubt's Reg, We're top of the league. Is glass still half empty ?

We've a nasty looking run of games coming up in Jan.... a lot could go wrong.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:38:28 »

Conceding 95 min equaliser always feels like a loss.

Not sure about relevance of the "not beaten a top team" factor.  After a few games sure, but we've played 22.  if we're top and not doing well against top teams then our record against bottom half teams must be well ahead of anyone else.

The points aren't weighted, they all count the same.  If we achieve the same results, good and bad, against the same teams in the reverse 22 fixtures then we'll be promoted.

And the remaining team left to play twice (Port Vale?) are hardly a team setting the world on fire.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:39:05 »

Haven't read back.

But of a shame after that first half.

I guess I would of taken a draw before kick off but after watching it...Sheesh.

Squandered chances came back to bite us.

Woolery I'm afraid a bit of a liability today.  Had a great run into the box and didn't square it to my MOTM Yates...constantly caught out of position....only Wellens didn't see it!?

The back pass was a lower league ref corker.....I laughed.

Anyway...top of the pile, let's keep it going.

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #299 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 17:49:16 »

FFS, are we not allowed any positivity at this club? Yes, the late equaliser is gutting but who cares that we haven’t beat any of the top seven? Clearly doesn’t have much of an impact considering we’re top of the league. Some people need to stop waiting for us to slip up, or something bad to occur and just get behind this side.
Yes of course we are but many of our fans are never happy and wont be even if we won the Premier League.

We are top of the league on merit, it doesnt matter who the fuck you beat as long as you beat more teams than anyone else, doesn't matter if we never beat any of the top 6 teams as long as we beat almost all of the rest, which we have done.

Not rocket science, 23 teams, if we dont beat the top 6 that still leaves 17 other teams, if we win 90% of those (which we have sop far) and draw a fair few against the rest then we will still win the league.

We are 3 points clear at Christmas, thats an amazing record for a team tipped for a struggle by a few posters this season.

Under PdC in the championship winning side of 2011-12 we were sat in 5th place, 9 points behind Crawley, who were also promoted in 3rd place that season.

Under Macari in 85 when we won this league, we were in 2nd place at Christmas.

Under McMahon when we won L1, at Christmas we were in 2nd place on goal difference.

From what I have checked upon, Swindon Town have NEVER topped any division at Christmas since the war.

That on its own is enough to at least celebrate a bit.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: