Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Watkins defends FA Cup shirt sponsor  (Read 18325 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:39:02 »

I think its a disgrace personally. Lets sell out to the newsapaper that shafted us royally, almost ruining the club in the process.

I would've hope we would have stood up to them and told them where to go, but sadly money talks. I don't care about colour of shirt, just the principal.

"Bend over Mr Watkins, the people from The People are here to see you"
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:40:23 »

I don't agree with the kit or sponsor, but it won't stop me from being there on the 12th...can't miss a game of Football on Saturday to go Xmas shopping!!! We should be in red at home and playing against a team in red at home is sheer stupidity though #STFC

#VivaKenBarlow!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:41:55 »

Wearing a different coloured shirt in the playoff final didnt bother me that much as it was a one off match but wearing white for a home game in the FA Cup for fucks sake......for money....from a publication that stamped on a little club when there were bigger fish to fry.....no way....i was there and i dont forget.

I totally agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:50:06 »

I think its a disgrace personally. Lets sell out to the newsapaper that shafted us royally, almost ruining the club in the process.

I would've hope we would have stood up to them and told them where to go, but sadly money talks. I don't care about colour of shirt, just the principal.

"Bend over Mr Watkins, the people from The People are here to see you"

If we are talking principles then you would never go to a match.

Everyone has there views but not to watch a match because of an event that happened over twenty years ago is piss poor in my opinion.....i am not going on a cruise this year because the titanic sunk killing my aunties budgie.

Yes we were shafted.....by our own people at the club as well as the People...i will be there watching us win Cheesy
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:01:45 »

If we are talking principles then you would never go to a match.

Everyone has there views but not to watch a match because of an event that happened over twenty years ago is piss poor in my opinion.....i am not going on a cruise this year because the titanic sunk killing my aunties budgie.

Yes we were shafted.....by our own people at the club as well as the People...i will be there watching us win Cheesy

I think the club are wrong but i personally will not judge anybody who has a different opinion to me and decides to go.

Have a good time Leefer!!

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:07:53 »

I do like Nick Watkins, but I think does sound/come across as an outsider in this.  

I think he comes across as a passenger in this myself.  If he had free reign it is my opinion the club would not repeat the Wembley fuck up of playing in white when red is available. It also wouldn't choose the People as a sponsor due to its contentious nature.

However... hearing him on the radio this morning it seems the driving input was Samsungs. When your main sponsor is orchestrating such decisions to a large extent your hands are tied.

Should we allow sponsors such an influence? Well its hard to say how much Samsung benefit the club through tangibles like cold hard cash and intangibles like publicity bringing extra punters/sponsors.

Commerciality over the views of fans has been winning out in football for quite some time. Sadly.
=============
I will be going to the game. Nothing like this will stop me doing that.

That said, I am unhappy at the change to white on the bequest of a sponsor.

I'm furious at choosing The People as sponsor. This annoys me more than the kit colour. Yes it was 20 years ago, yes "somebody" would have reported it. But the fact remains it was The People that actually did. And its not what was said but the way that they said it.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:14:24 »

Might knock a few of these up?

Who wants one?

* PEOPLE FINISHED.jpg (34.2 KB, 750x612 - viewed 149 times.)

Clems Army!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:21:27 »

Who wants one?

Free publicity for the paper though, isn't it.  In fact, the very fact that we're all discussing the paper is going to raise its profile.  Can't win, really.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:22:18 »

I'm furious at choosing The People as sponsor. This annoys me more than the kit colour. Yes it was 20 years ago, yes "somebody" would have reported it. But the fact remains it was The People that actually did. And its not what was said but the way that they said it.

Agreed - do you think Liverpool would be sponsored by The Sun ??  Never going to happen.
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:22:24 »

At the end of the day if it wasn't The People newspaper it would have been another national rag that would have reported the financial irregularities at the club.  The fact of the matter was that it was the league that shafted us not the newspaper despite the likes of Chelsea & Tottenham doing worse than what we did and getting a derisory fine.

Does it bother me? Apart from being white No.

At the end of the day whether we are in Red, White, Blue, black, green etc it won't stop me supporting my club on the day.  There's always something special about the FA Cup and just because the players will be wearing a white shirt with The People on it, it won't stop me supporting them on the day.

We are supporters we support our team not a shirt

thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:33:36 »

Agreed - do you think Liverpool would be sponsored by The Sun ??  Never going to happen.

For perfectly understandable reasons, that's a far more emotive subject and I don't think too many parallels should be drawn.

That said, The People was not an unbiased conduit presenting the facts without comment. It took the information it was presented, either maliciously or as part of a misguided agenda depending on what you believe, and attacked the club with it, all the while ignoring the journalistic imperative to seek out the bigger story. For that reason, it really is very unfortunate that the club has found itself in a position where it is forced into wearing that rag's name on our shirts. The need to keep Samsung on side may well mean they had no choice, but it is still horrible.
DMR

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:34:00 »

Free publicity for the paper though, isn't it.  In fact, the very fact that we're all discussing the paper is going to raise its profile.  Can't win, really.

I tried to point you in the right direction earlier in the thread - complete and utter indifference is the way to go.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:38:06 »

Who wants one?

Would be good if someone could get a banner on display in the Town End... Never Forget: Never Buy The People, or something like that...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 12:05:34 »

For perfectly understandable reasons, that's a far more emotive subject and I don't think too many
That said, The People was not an unbiased conduit presenting the facts without comment. It took the information it was presented, either maliciously or as part of a misguided agenda depending on what you believe, and attacked the club with it, all the while ignoring the journalistic imperative to seek out the bigger story. For that reason, it really is very unfortunate that the club has found itself in a position where it is forced into wearing that rag's name on our shirts. The need to keep Samsung on side may well mean they had no choice, but it is still horrible.

Thank-you, that's exactly how I feel.
REDBUCK

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 12:10:18 »

Agreed - do you think Liverpool would be sponsored by The Sun ??  Never going to happen.

oh dear, hardly the same is it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: