Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Watkins defends FA Cup shirt sponsor  (Read 18322 times)
News Monkey

« on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 08:00:10 »

Watkins defends FA Cup shirt sponsor

SWINDON Town chief executive Nick Watkins has defended the club’s decision to create a special FA Cup kit for this year’s tournament that will be sponsored by The People newspaper.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/9337923.Watkins_defends_FA_Cup_shirt_sponsor/?ref=rss

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 09:11:12 »

I think the club have scored a home goal here.

Hopefully the 10 figure sum covers the cost of the stayaway fans that won't come because we are playing in a white kit.

Sadly, this is modern day football, and it looks like we're going to just have to get on with it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 09:34:37 »

Hopefully the 10 figure sum covers the cost of the stayaway fans that won't come because we are playing in a white kit.

I think it's safe to say it will. The amount of people who will miss the game for this reason will probably be a similar number to those who are boycotting games due to PDC, only a handfull.

Dreadfull decision this kit but I can't comprehend missing a game because of a kit!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 09:45:54 »

Anyone who says they aren't going because of a kit colour/sponsor needs their heads examined. The Sponsor bit was 20 years ago, move on.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 09:46:10 »

I think the club have scored a home goal here.

Own goal, it's own goal.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:01:02 »

The Sponsor bit was 20 years ago, move on.

I'm a bit surprised how prevalent this attitude is. That period was probably the most important in the club's recent history and should have become one of the defining features of our identity, being passed down to each new generation of supporters to foster an us against the world attitude. Instead it seems a lot of people couldn't give a fuck, or don't even know about it, and the story lives on only in the hearts and minds of those who were there.

I'm not saying people should spend every waking moment grinding their teeth over it, but kicking off over the cunts who helped stir everything up having their name on our shirts seems fair enough. It sounds like even Watkins recognises it's a far from ideal situation.
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:06:04 »

Would anyone really stay away cos we're not playing in red?
Do people really care that much about what colour shirt we play in - same team, players, badge, name...?
Do we actually have that many sad cases amongst us?

So many questions...
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:08:23 »

I would of had to make a big effort to get to this game, so probably wont bother now.

Playing in white at home is wrong.

The People singled us out as there is no way they would of taken a big club on...and we all knew it was going on all over the place.

Clems Army!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:10:22 »

I'm a bit surprised how prevalent this attitude is. That period was probably the most important in the club's recent history and should have become one of the defining features of our identity, being passed down to each new generation of supporters to foster an us against the world attitude. Instead it seems a lot of people couldn't give a fuck, or don't even know about it, and the story lives on only in the hearts and minds of those who were there.

I'm not saying people should spend every waking moment grinding their teeth over it, but kicking off over the cunts who helped stir everything up having their name on our shirts seems fair enough. It sounds like even Watkins recognises it's a far from ideal situation.

They were right with what they reported though? It's a bit churlish to hold a grudge against a newspaper for doing its job

Things get better but they never get good
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:13:32 »

Can't say I'm that arsed about it.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:16:32 »

Do people really care that much about what colour shirt we play in - same team, players, badge, name...?

So many questions...

Only speaking for myself, but I really couldn't give a monkeys about this, and will be heading to the match to take part in the usual Arkells unco-ordinated clapping.

Would I rather we play in red? Yes
Am I bitter that other teams were doing/have done the same as us or worse without punishment? Yes
Do I understand the club have to bring in all the revenue they can? yes

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Dozno9

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:17:14 »

Apart from it not being red I'm not bothered.
LJ9
Whining little Bitch

PDC: "Send me off, we will win this league anyway"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:20:35 »

This has all the makings of it being on tv. Why would The People shell out all that money on the Town and and then hope it's one of the fixtures shown on tv? They want exposure as every business does and for it not to be banded around live would be a complete waste of everyone's time.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:21:09 »

So many questions...

Thin end of the wedge......you have to show distain at this sort of thing and ensure the club knows it.

You never know somebody could buy the club and think 'fuck the fans, i'll relocate to another part of the country'...but that would never happen would it!?

Football and supporting your club (and i mean actually going to matches) is all about History and tradition...remembering the good times and never forgeting the bad.

Wearing a different coloured shirt in the playoff final didnt bother me that much as it was a one off match but wearing white for a home game in the FA Cup for fucks sake......for money....from a publication that stamped on a little club when there were bigger fish to fry.....no way....i was there and i dont forget.

That does not make me a sad case IMHO......

Clems Army!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 10:35:06 »

Do I think being sponsored by the People looks tacky?
Yes.
Do I think we need a separate FA Cup sponsor anyway?
No.
Do I still hold a grudge against the People for their part in the financial irregularities scandal?
Not really.  Let's not shoot the messenger.
Do I think that we should be playing in red at home?
Yes, definitely.

I do like Nick Watkins, but I think does sound/come across as an outsider in this.  Love of the club is wrapped up in sentiment and things like the colour of the shirt, which identify us as a club, matters enormously to fans.  And of course memories are going to be long.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: