Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town match day thread  (Read 25914 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:21:14 »

How many points did you honestly expect over the last 3 games
That’s not the point. The point is that over half a season we’re 2nd bottom, shipped a shed full of goals - and continue to do so - and haven’t won a home game for months.

Jam tomorrow is a dangerous game.

Wigan looked dead and buried until Sheridan left.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:21:54 »

1 point from the first 6 of those games and 4 from the last 3 games suggests some upturn in fortune doesn't it?
But that’s such a small sample that one result weights it. Sorry but 5 points from 27 is far more representative is beyond diabolical.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:22:00 »

I was surprised to see Sheridan pick Grant ahead of him.

reckon Johnny will be sacrificed to bring in a striker. Hence the odd selection.

Tyler too.

aasuming the parent clubs will take them back without penalties adding more to keeping them without playing them
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:24:04 »

J Smith is one of those players who seems to get better and better in some fans’ eyes the less he plays....I think it’s clear Shezza isn’t a fan and I’d be surprised to see him stay beyond January.

I hope I am proven wrong of course!

Quite. Thing is, the lad can't prove (or disprove) himself with no game time. I thought after the 30mins last week this was an ideal game for him to get at least another 30mins. If you look back to who was causing Charlton trouble down their left side earlier in the season...yep, it was Jonny Smith. He unfortunately had to come off in that game but they were frightened of him. Today may have been another chance to see him worry their left side.

We'll find out in due course but if T.Smith is gone and another loan comes in (appears that way), Town still have 6 on the books. If then there is choice to be made between M.Smith and J.Smith I think we know the outcome and will be harsh/poor to release either back to their parent club. On top of that, if Caddy goes before the end of the season, I think Town need another backup RB because Rob Hunt's future isn't here. I think Odimayo is a better CB than RB if it was being considered, although he did well when he came on (must've trained well) and it's still bizarre he didn't feature last week in favour of the "ego massager".

Town could well be in a position of needing a RB and an attacking Midfielder. I guess much of this will hinge on whether the decision to sell Twine in this window or not. I think Town will be just short on personnel and this will reflect the league position. There is enough here to stay up...are they being guided correctly though or will they also fall just short when the final league table is decided?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:26:44 »

I don’t want Sheridan here like 90% of us, but hard to put that late equaliser on him today.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:27:32 »

When Aneke scored on 55 mins, Charlton were starting to get a real edge. They were unlucky not to score again sooner but we kept them out till nearly the 90. I think Shezza's subs were reasonable in the circumstances.  They did, to some degree, Chucks the momentum Charlton had been building.  I think the criticism of his subs is harsh.

Childish immaturity but FIFY :teehee:

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:28:58 »

In every single season we've been relegated there's always a few more games to get it sorted. Until there isn't.
That is very true.

'tis the hope that kills you.

For now, I'm certainly at least taking some encouragement from the accommodating shitness of other teams.

This is not a vintage year.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:29:19 »

I don’t want Sheridan here like 90% of us, but hard to put that late equaliser on him today.

90% ?

Nothing to see here
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:29:43 »

Quote from: theakston2k
lBut that’s such a small sample that one result weights it. Sorry but 5 points from 27 is far more representative is beyond diabolical.

it's massively shit, as is conceeding  47 in 23 games.

There is a fair point though that this back 4 have played together once. And also that we are trying to bring in a striker (hopefully not the Coventry "donkey").

I guess it comes down to wherever you think Sheridan should have done better with what he has had, or whether you think he is addressing things adequately.

I don't particularly like him or have confidence in him, but I can see the counter argument regarding results to date
Crackity Jones

« Reply #444 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:29:46 »

But that’s such a small sample that one result weights it. Sorry but 5 points from 27 is far more representative is beyond diabolical.
I don't  disagree.  5 from 27 is diabolical. All I am saying is that 4 of those coming in the last 3 games suggests an upturn in fortune.  Whether it is a genuine upturn or we maintain the 5 points every nine games remains to be seen.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:30:24 »

reckon Johnny will be sacrificed to bring in a striker. Hence the odd selection.

Tyler too.

assuming the parent clubs will take them back without penalties adding more to keeping them without playing them

Jonny, it's Jonny Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:31:09 »

I will say it again, STFC will not go down, despite the apparent belief held by some that LP/JS are in some way trying to scupper the season.

Nothing to see here
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:31:42 »

sorry spirit of Nev.

Who were you before bamboo 🤔
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:31:51 »

Where's Reg to give us the stats on seasons we've been second from bottom half way through and escaped. I bet it's never.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 18:33:05 »

it's massively shit, as is conceeding  47 in 23 games.

There is a fair point though that this back 4 have played together once. And also that we are trying to bring in a striker (hopefully not the Coventry "donkey").

I guess it comes down to wherever you think Sheridan should have done better with what he has had, or whether you think he is addressing things adequately.

I don't particularly like him or have confidence in him, but I can see the counter argument regarding results to date
But the point I’m making is that he’s tried more than a dozen combinations since he’s been here and nothing he’s done has remotely worked. We are actually conceding more goals now than at any other point this season and the only common denominator is Sheridan so is he actually capable of setting up a solid team or even with the new personnel will it continue to follow the same trend?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: