Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 1110 ... 1230   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4413359 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #16590 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 10:42:57 »

Remains to be seen whether Richie Wellness can cut it in League 1 but he's good at getting out of League 2

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16591 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 10:45:19 »

Quote from: Bob's Orange
The point I was really trying to make was how Orient had put in place a structure of experienced football bodies. The fact they are all ex-town, whilst significant was secondary.

The fact that we have a couple of data people from the horse racing/betting industry and a Swindon fan that used to work in a building society, for me, is a major stumbling block for getting where Orient got to this season. 

The very point discussed on the lower league podcast. Someone was talking about Orient and being made CEO, and that's exactly it - realised they knew jack, brought in experienced Football people.

They were discussing in the context of Crawley, who are also a complete mess off the field
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #16592 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 10:57:44 »

The very point discussed on the lower league podcast. Someone was talking about Orient and being made CEO, and that's exactly it - realised they knew jack, brought in experienced Football people.

They were discussing in the context of Crawley, who are also a complete mess off the field

Crawley is a superb example actually. Their setup has even less football professionalism than ours. At least our guys refer to football in the proper way than these "soccer boy johnny come latelys". It's funny that just because the Crawley owners seemed to have a 'war chest' they were tipped by many to compete for promotion. But they've been an absolute shambles and could go down into non-league.

From the snippets I've read about Crawley, their owners have gone into hiding recently as well and their fans have totally lost confidence in the Wagmi project.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16593 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 11:05:28 »

It's funny that just because the Crawley owners seemed to have a 'war chest' they were tipped by many to compete for promotion. But they've been an absolute shambles and could go down into non-league.

From the poll in WSC at the start of the season based upon comments from supporters of other L2 clubs we were favourites for the title!!  Cheesy Wink
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #16594 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 11:20:17 »

Remains to be seen whether Richie Wellness can cut it in League 1 but he's good at getting out of League 2

Well, he shirked the challenge once and now has another.
Promoted clubs from last season are all in bottom half with one of them going straight back down, which suggests that there is a not insignificant step up in quality.
One that we'll need to take account of in 2024-25.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #16595 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:08:22 »

Well, he shirked the challenge once and now has another.

...and a League 1 relegation with Oldham I think

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #16596 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:19:26 »

Nah, he's just lucky according to some on here..  this is just a coincidence..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #16597 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:21:06 »

From the snippets I've read about Crawley, their owners have gone into hiding recently as well and their fans have totally lost confidence in the Wagmi project.

I think most people saw that coming and stated it at the time on here.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #16598 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:27:39 »

Nah, he's just lucky according to some on here..  this is just a coincidence..

I always found the 'lucky' tag a little strange. he's had an up and down managerial career. His first at Oldham ended in relegation from league 1, then promotion from league 2 with us, then failures at both Salford and Doncaster (probably would have ended up with relegation from league 1, ultimately they went down after he left) before taking Orient up from league 2 emphatically.

I guess he's now proven that he's a solid/good league 2 manager, but has yet to prove if he can handle it up in league 1. It should be interesting to see how Orient do next season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #16599 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:32:33 »

I always found the 'lucky' tag a little strange. he's had an up and down managerial career. His first at Oldham ended in relegation from league 1, then promotion from league 2 with us, then failures at both Salford and Doncaster (probably would have ended up with relegation from league 1, ultimately they went down after he left) before taking Orient up from league 2 emphatically.

I guess he's now proven that he's a solid/good league 2 manager, but has yet to prove if he can handle it up in league 1. It should be interesting to see how Orient do next season.

My thoughts exactly - he is a very good League 2 manager and yet to be seen if he is good at League 1 level.  If he keeps LO in League 1 next year then that is his first step in proving that he might be capable at Lge1 level also

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #16600 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 12:35:40 »

My thoughts exactly - he is a very good League 2 manager and yet to be seen if he is good at League 1 level.  If he keeps LO in League 1 next year then that is his first step in proving that he might be capable at Lge1 level also

I guess the best managers are able to learn from mistakes made as they get more experienced, and it seems with Wellens he is excelling in his adaption. The same could be said of Luke Williams, who seems to be having a lovely old time with Notts County.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16601 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 17:47:53 »

Wellens is starting to look a bit Danny Wilsonish

Very good at getting a good thing going and keeping it going but once the tide turns he’s unable to stop it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16602 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:30:32 »

His comments on the youth team when here tell the story I think.  He seems good when he can develop the squad he needs - players who know how to do what they are asked to do (Rose and Doughty could both play QB and Grant had the middle).  He doesn't strike me as a Garner type of Coach, who will work on improving a player.  Once he hits that sweet spot, it seems to work - it didn't take many players leaving for it to start wobbling with us.  Players are a fickle bunch of ego's, and not getting the right quality in probably frustrates him.  He is not going to make them better, he just wants an oven ready player (Flitcroft liked Microwaves).

Isn't something similar oft labeled at Klopp - that he essentially builds a team and then breaks them.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #16603 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:34:17 »

His comments on the youth team when here tell the story I think.  He seems good when he can develop the squad he needs - players who know how to do what they are asked to do (Rose and Doughty could both play QB and Grant had the middle).  He doesn't strike me as a Garner type of Coach, who will work on improving a player.  Once he hits that sweet spot, it seems to work - it didn't take many players leaving for it to start wobbling with us.  Players are a fickle bunch of ego's, and not getting the right quality in probably frustrates him.  He is not going to make them better, he just wants an oven ready player (Flitcroft liked Microwaves).

Isn't something similar oft labeled at Klopp - that he essentially builds a team and then breaks them.

It will forever be a black mark against Wellens, who I rate, that he allowed a generational Swindon talent in Twine to slip through the net. Treated him like a pup despite scoring bangers in preseason.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16604 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:36:21 »

My post seems like I'm having a pop at him - to be clear, I am not, I think he is good at what he does.  A Board needs to understand what you are getting and support him/back him that way.  He'd not fit here right now, that is for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 1110 ... 1230   Go Up
Print
Jump to: