Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 ... 845   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1212023 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2835 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 22:11:46 »

I may be proved to be wrong but if the club was to be sold and what Clem was owed was the stumbling block i have absolutely no doubt he would waive it for the best of the club

….it’s a hell of a lot of money to waive.
I think you’d have to be mad or a billionaire to just happily write it off.

Do I think he’d agree long term repayment terms that were very favourable to the club, yes.

…but…I’ve never so much as met the bloke so what do I know
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2836 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 06:24:52 »

It doesn't *have* to be repaid when the club is sold, plenty of owners have sold at a loss in the past, not least here (Pretty sure Black's debenture covered only a fraction of what he put in, and that wasn't ever paid in full as far as we know).

Not a straight comparison, but director's loans or loans from parent companies are how Abramovich and other big sugar daddies account for their investment in their respective clubs. For example, P47 of Bristol City's accounts - https://www.bcfc.co.uk/media/64587/bristol-city-holdings-lmited-annual-report-and-consolidated-financial-statement-2020-21.pdf - show a £72m owed to the parent company (basically Steve Landsdown).

Again that’s all fair, and I know I’m being over cautious with my interpretation. I think it does create risk if clem wants to cash out *and* wants his money back (which I accept isn’t what he’s said, but again, ya know - caution and wariness) as it raises the cost of acquisition.

I think I had also misinterpreted the whole ‘club has been clearing the long term debt’ discourse being pumped out every month as it being gone for good. I guess this shows we’ve actually met our short term obligations for the year (no mean feat in itself!) but the long term debt is still there, just now owed to a far safer creditor in clem and axis investments (who I note don’t have the ‘interest free loan’ prefix in the accounts)

Things get better but they never get good
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #2837 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 07:49:17 »

One way of looking it is that Clem has acquired an EFL club for his £1m stake during the Power days, the £250K option to buy out Power and £4.3M of repayable loans.

You can add in the club now owns 50% of the ground paid from the Eady Trust but that may have triggered the need to repay the Black debenture.

Revenue up is good but 2021 was during Covid so there was no on the day gate money but the season ticket revenue. Next year's accounts will be more of a like for like comparison on how the club is doing financially.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2838 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 09:35:42 »

hopefully he'll get his money back and our new lifelong Swindon fan multi billionaire owners will be only too happy to oblige

This is the thing, looking at the numbers coming out of the Championship, you need owners with very very deep pockets to even get that far.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2839 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 09:43:34 »

too many clubs gambling to get into the promised land isn't there?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2840 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 09:45:31 »

The whole Championship is an absolute financial shit show.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1382577657020309504

19 out of 24 clubs (as of Apr 2021) spending more on wages than their entire turnover - that's before ANY other costs. Reading more than double!

There is almost no such thing as a sustainable football club, and certainly no such thing as a sustainable, competitive football club except maybe Manchester United (enormous commercial power globally).
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2841 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 09:48:40 »

Maybe league 1 is the best place to be looking at that ^.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2842 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 09:59:20 »

19 out of 24 clubs (as of Apr 2021) spending more on wages than their entire turnover - that's before ANY other costs. Reading more than double!

There is almost no such thing as a sustainable football club, and certainly no such thing as a sustainable, competitive football club except maybe Manchester United (enormous commercial power globally).

Isn't there a financial penalty for clubs that have wages higher than turnover or did I make that up? Certainly the rules in place to ensure sustainability don't appear to be working.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2843 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 10:04:52 »

Surely that makes it against the rules under FFP and wage caps? Reading should be having the book thrown at them.

Bristol City over 10 years were losing on average £412,000 a WEEK over 10 years and that has only gotten worse more recently.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #2844 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 10:06:05 »

One of the main problems with the championship is that teams in there have to compete with teams relegated from the premier league that have those massive parachute payments.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2845 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 10:14:40 »

too many clubs gambling to get into the promised land isn't there?

Totally, looking at those above I suspect City and Boro can probably be OK with it as they have fans as owners not sure about PNE as Trevor Hemmings died a year or so back and not sure what's happening there now, but clubs owned as investments, if I were a fan it would be squeaky backside time I think.
joeydubya

Ignore
« Reply #2846 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 12:07:52 »

Freeze the STs or better still, consider some reductions, and you'll make that lost money back. Merchandise is improving but there's more than just tickets to drive revenue...
DMC

« Reply #2847 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 12:17:12 »

Freeze the STs or better still, consider some reductions, and you'll make that lost money back. Merchandise is improving but there's more than just tickets to drive revenue...
You got no chance. Season tickets will go up.  Look at our socials, if fans are demanding signings, paying people for everything then that money has to be recouped somewhere.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2848 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 12:22:38 »

Look at Bradford. Much bigger numbers thanks to lower ST prices. More people through the gates, more sales of food and drink, merch and programmes.
Besides, a season ticket hike must surely mean a rise in general ticket prices?
£21 and £25 for adult tickets at this level is probably my limit.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 12:25:05 by 4D » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #2849 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 12:23:32 »

Too many unknowns in that statement.   How will freezing ticket prices increase revenue?   There is an argument that you may keep slightly more STs than if you increase them, but it's not guaranteed to increase revenue by any stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 ... 845   Go Up
Print
Jump to: